Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got my BFGoodrich's yesterday.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my BFGoodrich's yesterday.......

And I love them! I can't believe the difference an inch can make in the appearance of the truck. I went up from 30x9.50 to 31x10.50 and the truck looks sick. It actually looks like it can go offroading I also switched from white outs (before) to blackout, and love the look of that. I ended up going witht the BFG A/T's after meeting with some of the denver yotatechies and noticing they all had either MTR's or the BFG's. I can't get pics until maybe this weekend, my dog is really sick and I can't leave her alone to drive to my friend's to get the pics.

I only have one problem. At about 45mph the steering wheel starts shaking. It doesn't get worse the faster I go, although I only went up to 55mph, but I never noticed a shake before, only a slight one at 60mph with my old tires. So I am going to return to discount and get them to rebalance the tires. But I am still excited!

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 08-21-2003 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats. I loved the way putting BF's on my truck changed it's appearance. I too would take the tires back for a rebalance. Make sure they torqued lug nuts evenly as well.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Well!!!!
I can't wait that long for the pictures

Actually if you could, i would like to see a before and after shot if you have any.
I'm running 30" right now on my 4runner and would like to move up to 31".
It really made that much of a difference eh!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:18 AM

I might actually be able to get the pics later today. My dog has done a complete 180 So I will try and get pics up by tonight. Oh! Time to update my sig...
Old 08-21-2003, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Congrats on the new shoes. Are you going on Darren's run this weekend to break them in?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:22 AM

I wish I could, but this exhausted my funds, so if I were to break on any trail... Plus I start school again on monday. I hope to hit some trails in the next few months. I have to break in my truck too, its still a trail virgin.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

BFG's A/T's are good tires. I ran a set of them on my 94 Ranger. They were good all around tires.

I am thinking that when they balanced them, they only put weights on the inside of the rim (since you have custom wheels). Maybe ask them to either: Put weights on the outside lip of the wheel. If you don't want the weights to be visible, ask them to put the stick-weights on the inside of the wheel on the outermost part.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:34 AM

Personally, I don't care too much where they stick the weights, as long as they get it right and they don't come off. My wheels don't have that big of openings to view into the inside of the wheel, so visibility isn't a concern.

The AT's are sweet. A couple of times when I was driving I noticed that my old tires would spin or churp on certain turns/ roads. Not so with these, they stay nice and planted.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

If you get a chance, get them siped, I understand it's good for a durability of the tire as well as added traction.

I got my BFGs about 9K ago and I'm loving them. You're right, they change the look of the rig, ENTIRELY!

I have to start saving for their replacements though...
Old 08-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
If you get a chance, get them siped, I understand it's good for a durability of the tire as well as added traction.
It will void all warrenty's if you do this. When I worked at Firestone Service Center, we would void all road hazard and mileage warrenty's on siped tires. Mainly because its tampering with the "original design" of the tires.

But it will help on the ice..
Old 08-21-2003, 11:07 AM

Is it even really necessary to sipe BFG AT's? I could understand if they were MT's but not the AT's since they're pretty much "siped" already.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Is that the case really?
Hmmm... I guess I wasn't reading carefully as I thought he was talking about MTs.

Oops.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:34 AM

Tacoma Dude's talking about MTs I'm sure. You can see in his sig he uses MTs. Don't sipe ATs. They have sipes already and it will probably just weaken the tire with no real added advantage. In fact, I don't think you could force money on a reputable tire shop to sipe BFG ATs for you.

Your 45mph+ vibrations might be wheel balancing or alignment. Last time that happened w/mine it was due to alignment problems...

Al
Old 08-21-2003, 11:56 AM

Hmm...luckly I was too broke to get my At's siped when I got them put on.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:33 PM

Thumbs up (Dan)Plays_with_Toys

Dan,
Congrats on the new tread ,
Hope you can get some pics up soon, would love to see the new look. Good choice with the BFG's, I have only had mine for a couple months now but from the time I put them on my truck drove/looked much better. I am also looking forward to seeing how they do this coming up snow season. Sounds as if your shaking is probably balance related, I agree about taking them back to Discount to get a balance check. Sorry you can't make it this weekend for the trail ride, it would be nice to have another pickup along for the ride, maybe next time.....

Later,
Scott(Scooter)
Old 08-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

How much did you pay at discount? I've been wanting to get some BFG's also, but I don't have the money right now and want to see how long I'll have to save.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:41 PM

I am wondering how loud they are at highway speed?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Toddski
Well!!!!
I can't wait that long for the pictures

Actually if you could, i would like to see a before and after shot if you have any.
I'm running 30" right now on my 4runner and would like to move up to 31".
It really made that much of a difference eh!
I too went from 30 to 31's. Big difference to me. I can't remember how different it was in noise level, but I certainly don't complain about road noise at highway speeds. I can hear the radio just fine Here are some pics, although the first one doesn't do a whole lot for comparison.

Old 08-21-2003, 07:43 PM

I went back to discount and they found that one of my wheels had thrown a weight (that was quick lol). They took longer than expected because they were backed up, so I didn't get a chance for pics. I'll try tomorrow.

Rayday, I got the tires for $516.92 with road hazard included. Tax here is 7.45%, not sure about where you live.

With the difference in look I can explain it. With 30's there was a large gap between the fender and the tire, which made it look lifted, but when you looked at the truck closer, the tires just seemed small, and the truck wasn't that high off the ground. The 31's close the gap in the fender well, while leaving just enough to make it look like a very mild body/susp. lift has been performed. The blackouts also give it a surprisingly aggressive look.

Scott, it was definately due to you guys on monday that I bought these. I had read elsewhere on here they were bad in the snow, but you guys said you liked them. I also like that they are guaranteed for 40,000 miles.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:58 AM

If you are into stickers like my sons are...go to the BFG website and go to contact us and rave about the BFGs and ask that they send some stickers..in a couple of weeks you should recieve about 13 outside vynl cut in balck and white, all sizes including a BIG A$$ 13"x3"...

Quick Reply: Got my BFGoodrich's yesterday.......