Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

GM Alternator details (please)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the cases are the same size, just a different bolt pattern. Don't quote me on this. Maybe in a couple of months I'll give it a try.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Tibbs
Guys, I think the problem here is that there is a "small" GM case and a "large" GM case for the alts. On a large the bolt holes are opposite of each other and on a small there are like 120 degrees apart. This might be the problem. Here is a pic of a large GM case. See how the mounting bolt holes are opposite. If this helps out let me know, because I will soon be in need of a new alt!
this is basically what i've been saying. i dont know a lot about gm alternators, but i do know that those holes are in different locations. im sorry if this is gonna come across as rude jay, but i just want to make sure we're on the same page. so im gonna try again.

i understand about being reinforced. well, i dont really, but i think its irrelevant to what we're doing. im talking about the holes that the mounting bolts go through and they're postition on the 'circle' of the alternator.

compare this pic

to this

here they are together. try to imagine looking at them straight on. i rotated one of them so they are oriented the same. the red lines are an attempt to show the outline if looking from straight on rather than angle.

now compare that second one to your stock alt.

see how its mounting holes are directly across from eachother of the 'circle' of the body? THAT is what im talking about. the one you bought, the holes are off to one side, and thats why I THINK sticks out too far.

from here on is pure speculation as i have not tried it. if i am wrong, i'd prefer not to be called an idiot.

if you get one that has the same basic mounting shape as the stock, it will fit, with a few washers of course. the website even SAYS that this is the way to fit it. the alternator we're looking for was either made to fit non GM models, or there are a LOT of types of cs144 alternators. that would also explain why two junk yards verified you have a cs144. sure, you've got one. one out of however many were produced. yes its A cs144, no its not the cs144 that will fit for US.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Also, abotu the lack of the ability to mount...

The position of this point will move the alt towards the engine and away from the upper a-arm mount. It looks liek this might actually be a bolt on solution.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
this is basically what i've been saying. i dont know a lot about gm alternators, but i do know that those holes are in different locations. im sorry if this is gonna come across as rude jay, but i just want to make sure we're on the same page. so im gonna try again.

i understand about being reinforced. well, i dont really, but i think its irrelevant to what we're doing. im talking about the holes that the mounting bolts go through and they're postition on the 'circle' of the alternator.

compare this pic

to this

here they are together. try to imagine looking at them straight on. i rotated one of them so they are oriented the same. the red lines are an attempt to show the outline if looking from straight on rather than angle.

now compare that second one to your stock alt.

see how its mounting holes are directly across from eachother of the 'circle' of the body? THAT is what im talking about. the one you bought, the holes are off to one side, and thats why I THINK sticks out too far.

from here on is pure speculation as i have not tried it. if i am wrong, i'd prefer not to be called an idiot.

if you get one that has the same basic mounting shape as the stock, it will fit, with a few washers of course. the website even SAYS that this is the way to fit it. the alternator we're looking for was either made to fit non GM models, or there are a LOT of types of cs144 alternators. that would also explain why two junk yards verified you have a cs144. sure, you've got one. one out of however many were produced. yes its A cs144, no its not the cs144 that will fit for US.
I'm thinking along the same lines. The top one is a "large" case alt and the second one (the one you got) is a "small" case GM alt. Maybe the cs144 part # is for a "small" case? Man I wish there was a GM guy around to confirm or deny all of this.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

more from that site...

Delco CS144 Series
140 Amp, 12 Volt, CW, 6-Groove Pulley
Used On:
(1996-94) Buick Roadmaster 5.7L
(1996-93) Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (RWD) 5.7L
(1996-93) Chevrolet Caprice 4.3L, 5.7L
(1996-95) Chevrolet Impala 5.7L
(1995-92) Chevrolet Lumina APV Van 3.8L
(1995-92) Oldsmobile Silhouette 3.8L
(1995-92) Pontiac Trans Sport 3.8L
i believe those are the cars that have what we need. 1 problem: i went on the autozone website to see if they have a replacement alternator for any of those given cars, and i got two results. a 6" diamter case and a 5.25" diamter case. more mystery....
Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DrBeau
Also, abotu the lack of the ability to mount...

The position of this point will move the alt towards the engine and away from the upper a-arm mount. It looks liek this might actually be a bolt on solution.
Well hopefully I'll get 'er back tomorrow and we can figure this out.... I know I bolted mine in, and my receipt says it's a 144... My recommendation of walking into a place and talking to a guy who works with these things day in and day out didn't set too well... I've got just the guy in town here and he happens to have his shop less than a mile away from the body shop... but I'll get some pics taken and see if I can't find a number on the casing... For how easy it was I'd like it to be common knowledge.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
Well hopefully I'll get 'er back tomorrow and we can figure this out.... I know I bolted mine in, and my receipt says it's a 144... My recommendation of walking into a place and talking to a guy who works with these things day in and day out didn't set too well... I've got just the guy in town here and he happens to have his shop less than a mile away from the body shop... but I'll get some pics taken and see if I can't find a number on the casing... For how easy it was I'd like it to be common knowledge.
Please keep us updated because I am VERY interested in this mod. I think I'm going to run just as much stereo equipment as you!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:15 PM

Still at body shop...
Old 11-16-2005, 09:29 PM

Cool

Slightly off-topic. I've been missing something for a long time now reading yall complaining about stock alts.

All of us v6 Toyota car owners simply swap our 80/90 amp units for the 130amp highlander alt. It's plug & play for us so in theory it should work for yall.
Why don't yall try that if you just need an upgrade. Also if you're up to it there are two size pullies. The post '97's have a smaller pulley (spins the same alt faster).
For whatever reason Toyota thought the v6 gen4 Camry platforms would need more low rpm power (That's a joke on so many levels!).
Old 11-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toysrme
Slightly off-topic. I've been missing something for a long time now reading yall complaining about stock alts.

All of us v6 Toyota car owners simply swap our 80/90 amp units for the 130amp highlander alt. It's plug & play for us so in theory it should work for yall.
Why don't yall try that if you just need an upgrade. Also if you're up to it there are two size pullies. The post '97's have a smaller pulley (spins the same alt faster).
For whatever reason Toyota thought the v6 gen4 Camry platforms would need more low rpm power (That's a joke on so many levels!).
Is this the highlander that looks like a SUV camry or the highlander edition of the runner? I thought these came out in '01. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:59 AM

Cool

The highlander.
They have a 130amp alt as optional equipment.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM

but... you said look into a 97??? uhm, highlanders = 01 and up

and about the 2 models, have at trying it... i didn't have time.
i wouldn't be comfortable with it being 1/8 away from the dipstick and an 1/8 away from the upper control arm... who cares if it bolts in lol
Old 11-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crappled
but... you said look into a 97??? uhm, highlanders = 01 and up
I know. I just didn't want to hassle with it. I was pretty clear in my question but he wrote back the same exact answer. Oh well...
Old 11-17-2005, 12:07 PM

i would be pissed if something were bolton and i didn't know it lol.
i went through 6 alternators the other day!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 PM

I just checked one of the parts sites I found in google, the tundra/t100/tacoma/4runner all had 70amp alternators. The 01 V6 4wd Higllander has a 130amp one. Also one of the guys in that tacoma thread says they used an 130amp 05 tacoma alternator.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/foru...read.php?t=1043
Old 11-17-2005, 01:36 PM

repost the link, it got ...'ed =)

oh and the remaned ones are $340 wtf?!?!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ead.php?t=1043
Old 11-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crappled
repost the link, it got ...'ed =)

oh and the remaned ones are $340 wtf?!?!
The link shows $220 for a 150 amp one. Was going w/ the chevy one that much cheaper?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:28 PM

that's without core...
my new 4runner alt was $220 plus 60 core...
the gm one was $179 with 20 core.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:31 PM

oh and i was talking about the highlander 130amp alt... not the ones in the thread =)

Quick Reply: GM Alternator details (please)