Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good. When I bought my 98 it is wired too I think. I think someone before had lights on the brush guard. There is the ends that are tucked back right behind the front gril and a switch inside. Just no fog lights.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:15 AM

i know there are other threads w/ pics of the hellas' output, but could you post some up? preferably against a wall or something so i can see the width and cutoff they have. im having a hard time finding which ones have the really wide beam spread. im contemplating between these and some "blazer fogs". either with hid's in them of course.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, even with the fog light mod I still can't run just the fogs with my DRL-equipped truck.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
i know there are other threads w/ pics of the hellas' output, but could you post some up? preferably against a wall or something so i can see the width and cutoff they have. im having a hard time finding which ones have the really wide beam spread. im contemplating between these and some "blazer fogs". either with hid's in them of course.
See Pfdaxe's photos at the bottom of this thread: Click Me

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Unfortunately, even with the fog light mod I still can't run just the fogs with my DRL-equipped truck.
Why, b/c you have not disabled your drls? I disabled my drls, and the fog light mod worked great for me.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Why, b/c you have not disabled your drls? I disabled my drls, and the fog light mod worked great for me.
No one seems to know how to disable them without unplugging the box entirely. I like having DRLs most of the time, so my hope was to wire a switch to be able to disable them when I do not want them on. I haven't found a wiring diagram for anything but the 01+ models that have the DRL module under the steering column.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM

Yea, I am in the same boat.
I have a 2000 Limited and wanted to disable the DRL...which is simple since I have that module box right next to the battery and all I have to do is unplug that box.
Here comes the hard part...how do I do the FOG LIGHT MOD without so that I can turn them on with only the parking lights on.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
No one seems to know how to disable them without unplugging the box entirely. I like having DRLs most of the time, so my hope was to wire a switch to be able to disable them when I do not want them on. I haven't found a wiring diagram for anything but the 01+ models that have the DRL module under the steering column.
Ah, I see now. You want to wire in an on/off switch for your drls on your '00. I agree, doesn't appear anyone has solved that mystery yet. I guess it was too easy to just unplug the box on the '00s, so that is as far as the "technical know how" got.

Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
Yea, I am in the same boat.
I have a 2000 Limited and wanted to disable the DRL...which is simple since I have that module box right next to the battery and all I have to do is unplug that box.
Here comes the hard part...how do I do the FOG LIGHT MOD without so that I can turn them on with only the parking lights on.
Without what? Please clarify your question:

how do I do the FOG LIGHT MOD without so that I can turn them on with only the parking lights on.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM

dont know about the "foglight mod", and i dont have drl's but seems like you could just wire a toggle for the drl's. i dont know if im just oversimplifying this, but i know w/ the box by the battery, it should be easy. for fogs to work w/ parking lights, seems like a simple relay harness would work for basic on/off whenever you want, but w/ the parking lights exclusively so you dont forget em on or anything, a double relay system seems like it would fit the bill.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Rock,
What I meant was that the Fog Light can only be turned on LOW BEAM and will turn OFF on HI BEAM. I wanted to control it independently. So that I can turn them on with only the parking lights on and with the high beams. The following link will probably explain it a lot better.

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/fogmod.html
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Rock,
What I meant was that the Fog Light can only be turned on LOW BEAM and will turn OFF on HI BEAM. I wanted to control it independently. So that I can turn them on with only the parking lights on and with the high beams. The following link will probably explain it a lot better.

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/fogmod.html
Ok, I see now. The "Fog Light Mod" writeup I followed was more in depth than JA's above...but it works great. I can turn the fogs on with only the parking lights on and with the high beams on.

Granted, the writeup I followed was done for an '02 4Runner (which mine is), but would it also work for you? Here it is:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...ght-mod-87997/

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-21-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks Rock. I saw that write-up and was on the verge of going through with it. But I think someone on here said that the schematics are off. For some reason, the 2000 year model seems to be the odd ball. Because to disable the DRLs on a 01-02 is totally different from a 2000. On JA's website at the bottom, it says:

Please Note:
This mod, when performed on 2000+ model year 4Runners, has no change at all in the operation of the fog lamps. The 2000+ Runners come standard with daytime running lights (DRL's) and Toyota has prevented the possibility of operation of the fog lamps during the time DRL's are on.

I was just going to unplug the DRL module in the engine bay and then take out the relay in the fuse box and do the necessary steps for the fog lamp relay to be HOT whenever the parking lamps are on. That is what I was not sure about because the statement above proves that it will not work because Toyota has prevented the fog lights from working with DRLs, but since my DRLs will no longer be working (unplugging the module) the write up should work now, correct?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Rock. I saw that write-up and was on the verge of going through with it. But I think someone on here said that the schematics are off. For some reason, the 2000 year model seems to be the odd ball. Because to disable the DRLs on a 01-02 is totally different from a 2000. On JA's website at the bottom, it says:

Please Note:
This mod, when performed on 2000+ model year 4Runners, has no change at all in the operation of the fog lamps. The 2000+ Runners come standard with daytime running lights (DRL's) and Toyota has prevented the possibility of operation of the fog lamps during the time DRL's are on.

I was just going to unplug the DRL module in the engine bay and then take out the relay in the fuse box and do the necessary steps for the fog lamp relay to be HOT whenever the parking lamps are on. That is what I was not sure about because the statement above proves that it will not work because Toyota has prevented the fog lights from working with DRLs, but since my DRLs will no longer be working (unplugging the module) the write up should work now, correct?
Correct, to disable drls on an '00 is completely different than how to disable them on '01 & '02s. However, the Fog Light Mod write up I posted and did, may still work for you. Just flip over you fuse box and see if your wires match the wires posted in the photos in that write up. (Or try the one JA posted.)

JA's statement you've posted is correct. However, he performed his version of the fog light mod on a '99 4Runner. Another words, his 4Runner did not have drls, therefore the mod worked without his need to do anything extra.

IMO, his statement is not saying the mod will not work on '00+ 4Runner w/ factory equipped drls...he's saying that you will not see the benefit of the fog light mod unless you have already disabled your drls. The wiring part of the fog light mod itself should work just fine. However, you will not see the results of it until your have disabled your drls. If I were you, I'd disable my drls first and then attempt the fog light mod. If it works, then great! If not, then oh well...we tried.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-22-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 AM

Yea, I am just try the write up that you posted and see what happens. I am going to disable the DRLs first and then try JA's method since it is the easiest and requires no soldering work. If that doesn't do it, then I am going to look under the fuse relay box and see if the wires match up. I also found the statement below interesting:

Update for year 2000 4Runners:
R.C., a 2000 Limited 4Runner Owner, wrote to me of his experiences with the Fog Light Mod...
"The pin # you reference for the D8 connector from the DRL relay is different. It is pin #14 not #16. The color is still Green with a Black Stripe. Besides that the mod worked great. I checked continuity between pin #14 and the #2 coil connector in the foglight relay before completing the mod. I also decided to install a switch in my DRL's. It was pin #2 in the D8 connector, Black with a Yellow stripe."

It is just annoying that the fog lights get disabled with the high beams. I drive to Colorado almost every winter to visit friends and some of the roads require high beam but I lose the fore-light. If all fails, I will just get a set of IPF 968 which has both wide and pencil beam and that should take care of it.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I read that bit JA posted on the "Update for year 2000 4Runners", but I believe that information is for 01-02 4Runners. Model year "00" that he posted is a typo. It should be: "01-02".

If you re-read Part 1 above it titled: "Update for 2001-2002 4Runners", you'll see that Part 2 is just an extension of Part 1. Therefore, Part 2 would not apply to 2000 4Runners, only to '01 -'02s instead.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:13 AM

Fog light mod worked for me. I just used a "jumper" wire as pictured (from fog to taillight fuse under hood). Took all of about a minute to do. They stay on with high beams. I haven't got around to having the fogs on with just the side lights yet...

Last edited by pfdaxe; 10-22-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 AM

So you used the write-up on JA's website and it worked? That's great. But you did this after you disabled the DRLs, right? Since you have a 00 model, all you had to do was unplug the module box, right?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM

So you used the write-up on JA's website and it worked? That's great. But you did this after you disabled the DRLs, right? Since you have a 00 model, all you had to do was unplug the module box, right?
Yes...yes and yes to your questions
Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Sweet...I am gonna do that tonight. Thanks a bunch.