95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Field Monitor Unit - 98 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ESQ
Rockslide:
Actually, mounting the the T sensor in free stream won't give a colder reading than ambient. It will read ambient. Heat may be lost more quickly in fast air, but the temperature of the sensor will bottom out at ambient unless it is wet (then you'll get evapourative undercooling) or it is in sun (radiant heating giving a higher reading).
ESQ, very true!

Forgive my ignorance as I posted that informaton 2yrs ago....when I was young and dumb . I have since learned how these sensors operate.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hope to own one of these units

Last edited by blcktpgsr; 12-09-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide

Just remember, try not to mount this temp sensor in a spot that gets hit with direct air flow from the outside. For example, if you drive on the freeway at a high rate of speed and it's already cold outside, the temp sensor will be hit with a constant strong force of air. Thus causing the temp readings to state it's colder outside than it really is. This air will be much colder than the air if around your vehicle if you were parked.
This is not true, temp gauges are not affected by wind otherwise there would be no need for the "windchill factor" scale. Wind only affects things that produce their own heat.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mrbikerman
This is not true, temp gauges are not affected by wind otherwise there would be no need for the "windchill factor" scale. Wind only affects things that produce their own heat.
Exactly. Read my response a couple posts up...

Last edited by Rock Slide; 12-20-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you mount them where the factory mounts them which is just below the left head light on the front metal radiator support sheet metal it will not be in any direct air flow no mater how hot or cold it is outside so you will get a more true reading. Here is how I did it quote from above.

"Update: Installed the temp sensor behind the left front bumper below the head light. Was super easy. Removed the canister that is located in the left front fender well exposing prime location for the Temp Sensor. Used existing hole to to act as the alignment tab for the sensor. Marked a hole location and drilled it out. Placed sensor on the front side of the fender well, bolt, lockwasher, nut and then wired the plug with the sensor wires I routed through the firewall and zip tied to the existing lighting wire run."
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
If you mount them where the factory mounts them, which is just below the left headlight on the front metal radiator support sheet metal, then it will not be in any direct air flow, no matter how hot or cold it is outside, so you will get a more true reading. Here is how I did it - quote from above:

"Update: Installed the temp sensor behind the left front bumper below the headlight. Was super easy. Removed the canister that is located in the left front fender well, exposing prime location for the Temp Sensor. Used existing hole to to act as the alignment tab for the sensor. Marked a hole location and drilled it out. Placed sensor on the front side of the fender well, bolt, lock washer, nut, and then wired the plug with the sensor wires I routed through the firewall and zip tied to the existing lighting wire run."
thanks for the handy instructions