Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Effect of ARB lockers on VSC/ATRAC?

Old 03-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Effect of ARB lockers on VSC/ATRAC?

Have been following the threads on lockers here for awhile and have decided to go with ARB on front and back. The only factor I have not been able to find info about is how selectable lockers will effect the VSC and
Traction Control. As best as I can tell should be able to
use the lockers if needed, but if disengaged would act as an open differential, thus not effecting the mentioned items. Also, should be able to use the rear locker in 2WD. Am I correct in this assumption? Since am sure will be voiding the warranty with this install, don't want to screw up. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

<bump>

I don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone else does. I'll kick your thread back up to the top so everyone sees it. It seems like a good question.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

im assuming you have an 01-02. dunno bout the VSC and TC, maybe darren will chime in.

but i do know this: with dual ARBs, you must engage the rear locker before you can use the front (either 2WD or 4WD) unless you can bypass this by wiring them differently than how ARB recommends.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Guess I missed this earlier in the day. Excellent choice going dual ARB's. I might travel that road some time in the future as well. To this point, I have only heard of 1 person doing this who has a 2001 or 2002. The guy had a 2001 and posted on 4x4 Wire last year, but I don't think he's active. Maybe I'll search for the thread I specifically remember. It didn't have much info anyway other than the fact he did do it.

Basically, by locking the front and rear differentials, there will never be any wheel slip, so the A-TRAC system won't know any better or have a reason to engage, so there would be zero impedance from this system. With ARB's and this system, it would be the best of both worlds.

The VSC function is a non-issue as you should always have that disabled (by having the center diff locked) anyway in most instances off-road, and certainly anytime you'd use the lockers.

You don't have anything listed as far as mods for your Runner, do you have a lift and bigger tires? If not, that would be something to think about doing because it would be cheaper (in the long run) to re-gear at the same time while the diffs are opened up anyway. Having a locked rig will be very capable, but not being lifted, you won't be able to take full advantage of them.

Keep us updated. Very good mod!

Last edited by Darren; 03-08-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies. That was the reasoning I had used based on what I had read here. I don't have any info listed on my rig because did not realize how to include until after registered. Will have to edit my profile. I plan to keep stock wheels/tire size on my
factory alloys and have LT265/75/R16s on some cheap
black wheels for winter/weekend trips. (Have 4.10 gears and really haven't noticed any loss of power just moving up one size) All I ever get into is mud,snow...no rocks or extreme off road. Have been stuck lots in my F250 and usually as result of not having all four wheels getting power, even w/LSD. Thanks again for the info!