Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Don't know if I should continue throw money at

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if I should continue throw money at

my 3rd gen anymore as far as modding concern. (lift, trail stuff...etc.) I am thinking I should save up all the money for repair and maintenance now. Or a future rig down the road.

There are a couple of reasons for this: First, most topics on this 3rd gen section now seems to lean toward the problem/repair side. Every day new threads concerning problem with the truck can fill up the page pretty quick (I myself contributed just recently). I thought I was looking at 1st gen or 2nd gen forum, depressing.

Second, as the truck gets older, naturally problems are going to creep up here and there. I think the logical way is to keep the money for upkeeping the truck instead of hobby now. Especially if I plan to drive my 3rd gen until the wheel falls off. Never know when the SS 1.2 lift money is going to be needed for a major repair job.

My $.02.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably the responsible thing to do, and I would agree...if I owned a Ford. I know so many people who have turned 300K and even 400K+ in their Toyotas, and the 3.4 is one of the most reliable engines ever. I'm not worried about mine breaking down any time soon because I'm good about maintenance and I get under there and inspect a lot. Mine still runs like new w/ almost 200K.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any automobile is going to have some issues at some point or another. Toyota, by far has alot less issues than most. If you really want to see a forum filled with threads about mechanical issues...just look at one of the Jeep forums! I'm not trying to be funny, I use to belong to one of the Jeep forums years ago and there seriously was 2 pages a day of new threads from owners with mechanical issues. Im guessing thats why the one local car dealership is filled up with Jeep GC that were traded in for the "cash for clunker" program.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just keep the toyota......

Most of the problems on this board are easily diagnosable by someone with a slight knowledge of automobiles and a scan tool.

And are not that expensive of repairs, you'll definitely be running into a lot more problems with any other brand of vehicle with over 100k miles.

3.4 is going to be way less of a headache and a whole lot more powerful then any other older toy pu.

If you were going to be seriously wheeling your truck, i'd do two things. Either armor the runner lock it front and rear and go to town, or sell it and get a later t100 with the 5speed and swap it.

I like my 4runner, I wheel it, I break it, I fix it. The only thing that has really gone out or broken that hasn't been my direct fault is the starter and exhaust manifold (which the manifold is a common problem with the 2.7).

If you don't know how or don't wanna wrench on your own junk this really isn't the sport for you unless you have $$$$

My truck was perfect condition when I got then I started wheeling it, now its scratches galore I recently kbb'd my truck and it was worth like 3-3500 bucks, so I don't feel bad about wheeling it.

Also if you go for an older trail rig you don't know the condition when you get it and it might need a bunch of maintenance and other week to get it started and up to par with your 4runner.