Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does anyone have experience with Powertraxx

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Powertraxx

Do any of you guys have any experience with Powertraxx locker? I picked up a 99 SR5 a few months ago and I'm looking to put a locker on it. My mechanic said he had heard good things about the Powertraxx and said I might want to look into it if I was wanting a locker. Any opinions from FIRSTHAND experience?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

I am looking into these also. They make 2 models. The lockRite which has been around for along time and the newer No-slip.

From what I have found so far the lockrite is a really solid reliable unit but makes a clicking sound while turning and has a tendancy to unlock with some noticable force on the pavement also. The newer no-slip is very simular but the clicking is much less noticable and the street manners are a bit more transparent. Other than these points they are the really close in function. Good web site to read up on them:

http://www.summitoffroad.com/noslip.html

Lee here on the boards has bought a no-slip and is going to install it soon. He said he will post the results when he is done.

A quick search will show lots of LockRite users here. Most like them off road but dislike the on road manners. From what I have heard it just takes some getting used to.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

yea ^ what he said.

my lockrite is pretty quality. offroad its a beast, but on road its a bi%$#. it takes a little getting used to, and you wont ever have the samer ride again.

i think if youre going lockrite, you should ride around in someone's truck who has a lockrite installed (if you can find someone local) because personally, its actually getting quite annoying. i would love to have a selectable one, however $$$. but overall, great product, just annoying on road.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

I've done research on this and according to Powertraxx, they only make a lockrite for the 3rd gen. Lee bought the no-slip version and as soon as he's able to/not able to install it, he'll let us know.

It's really weird how some talk about the full-time locker being annoying and others don't. I think it depends on whether you have a manual or auto tranny and whether you drive fast around corners. Manual is supposed to be horrible but auto is not as bad. Using your gas pedal around the corners is also a no-no.

I've also looked into a detroit as they replace the whole carrier. These are kinda pricey (around $500) but supposedly really strong and not as annoying. Can't tell which way to go as I don't have one but have researched this. We're also assuming you don't want to spend $$$ and that's why you're looking into a full-time vs. selectable locker. If not, search because there is a ton of info out there on other types of lockers for a 3rd gen.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runnin2
Don't bother with the powertrax or the lockrite. I have replaced both of those. Both have limited warranties and are restricted by tire size. Buy an Aussie locker and forget about it. I have never had any issues with the Aussie.

I got mine from Machinewave out in Indiana. They had the best prices I could find anywhere even on the net. Give them a call at 812-623-3473.

Later..Bryan
From my research, they don't make an Aussie for 3rd gens...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

No Aussie for 3rd gens you are correct. Maybe someday.

No-slips use the same part number as the Taco from what I have read.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runnin2
Don't bother with the powertrax or the lockrite. I have replaced both of those. Both have limited warranties and are restricted by tire size. Buy an Aussie locker and forget about it. I have never had any issues with the Aussie.

I got mine from Machinewave out in Indiana. They had the best prices I could find anywhere even on the net. Give them a call at 812-623-3473.

Later..Bryan

Can you be a bit more specific about why you replaced them. Did they break or did you just not like them.
Powertrax makes them both and the co is owned by Richmond.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
No Aussie for 3rd gens you are correct. Maybe someday.

No-slips use the same part number as the Taco from what I have read.
Yeah but is it the TRD version or the regular version? They have different sized 3rd's right?

I actually got an e-mail from Richmond saying that only the lockrite works. If Lee is successful, I'm sure many more will buy the no-slip version.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
JGM

I use a powertrax in my FJ40 rear. I plan on replacing it with an ARB in the next year because the carrier needs to be replaced, not because of the locker.

It works very well, frankly. It is mostly a trail truck, but I do drive it to work and around town on occasion. I really have no complaints at all. It takes some getting used to at first (going around corners, adjusting clutching habits, etc), but once you shift your driving mindset, it is quite good. I really don't hear chirping (and this is an open top vehicle). On the trail it has transformed how tough the truck is. I am very happy with the trail performance of it. Not a bad $200 investment in my opinion.

Last edited by JGM; 06-26-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Yeah but is it the TRD version or the regular version? They have different sized 3rd's right?

I actually got an e-mail from Richmond saying that only the lockrite works. If Lee is successful, I'm sure many more will buy the no-slip version.
That is a good question and I do not know. Now that I think of it I may have also heard that the TRD Axle is larger than the non TRD. I guess we all have to wait and see how Lee's turns out.

Come on Lee we're all pulling for you. You are right though I think if he has a good experience with his a lot of us will follow with the no slip.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha, Lee is having issues with information from Powertraxx right now. Hopefully it works out and the guy installing it for him can do it without any issues.
I have a lockright w/ a manual tranny now and I drive it on the street all the time. Do you have to adjust your driving a little to accomodate it? Yes, mainly in cornering, you just have to take it easier so as not to chirp the tires, also, this is like leaving a stop sign cornering, not like, driving through a curve in the road cornering. It is seamless while driving, I never notice mine and I have never had a problem with some massive unlocking or locking while driving like someone mentioned. The only time you notice it is when you are making a tight turn, you will hear it clicking. Is it a big deal and do I have any issues with the ride? No, none at all. If I knew what I know now about the lockrite, I would have put one in my dd taco back when I was wheeling it.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Curious about this myself so I am subscribing! Thanks for the info so far!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

well it is kinda over for the no-slip. Lee has confirmed that it will not fit in a Runner 8" rear. So he is sending it back and getting a lock rite. Too bad seemed like the best of both worlds.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:39 AM

yea I knew that was coming, the taco has an 8.4" rear and the runner is an 8"... I spent a good month researching before I ordered because I wanted the no-slip, but it wouldn't work and the lockrite for 4runners and tacos have different part #s. I am thoroughly satisfied with my lockrite though. Takes some getting used to but well worth it.