Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do deer whistles really work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine were $5 from autozone. They give me piece of mine, whether they work or not, or maybe I've been lucky here in deer country.

I also like the fact that people think they have something to do with my alarm. Added security.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E1
Comming home at 03:30 in the fog I encountered half a deer in the middle of the road. I guess whatever hit it took the hind quarters with them? Anyway does anyone know if those deer whistle things that attach to your front bumper really work or not. I would hate to beat a dead dears ass for scuffing my paint

most of the time, when people hit a deer, its because the deer jumps down from an elevated area where the deer cant see hear you and you dont have enough time to react-- the best advise if your going to hit a deer--STEP ON THE GAS!! people always think that stepping on the brakes is better, but what really happens is the deers legs flip around onto the hood because the vehicle dove downward when braking and the deer flies through the windshield and stabs the driver. Accelerating makes the front of the car go upward and pummels that motherf###ing deer to the concrete so it doesnt kill you. btw, those cheap, bolt on "deer bars" dont do crap-- especially the padded ones-- to stay alive, id say you need a reinforced .500" thick box tube bumper with sharpened 3/4" thick crossmembers to cut the deer into pieces so it has less inertia. My mom has hit 3 deer in lake tahoe, the last time she hit one, the rack came through the windshield and landed on the passenger seat. just remember, when you are about to hit a deer, you have 1 of 2 choices-- u die, or the deer dies...whats it gonna be?

can you tell i have a certain point of view about deer and driving?

T
Old 01-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the best thing to do is NOT to swerve. Keep your car straight; do not switch lanes.

After that, if the deer can get past you (and there is more than one) then brake hard. I don't think I would honk here because the goal in this case is for the deer to keep on going undisturbed.

If you think you can get past the deer (and there is only one) then accelerate. If you can, lean on the horn. If there is no way to avoid it I would say focus on keeping the car straight and keeping focused so that after impact you can keep your car under control. This is one more reason to be sure you never have an 18 wheeler riding your tail.

There was one deer alert I saw that indicated the company would pay your collision deductible if you hit a deer. I am not sure if that verifies it works or not. I would really love to have something that got the deer and dogs off the road when The Runner comes around the corner...
Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 PM

Well I've never used them and i've never hit a deer.

Oh yeah i live in the desert, if that has any bearing on this argument.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 469 Likes on 313 Posts
When my husband's family hits a deer they call it dinner.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:45 AM

I think the loud exhaust helps. A friend recently moved to northern VT and has a stock Yukon and a modified VW GTI w/ the VR6. In the Yukon deer run right out in front of him, he's come real close to hitting them, in the extra loud VW he has never had a deer jump in front, we think they hear it coming and stay out of the road.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:01 PM

Just in case I have a bullbar with a dear whistle.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Duffdog
-- the best advise if your going to hit a deer--STEP ON THE GAS!!

I understand your "concept" behind that DuffDog, but that's the worst advice I've ever been given.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:33 PM

4runners in missouri are deer proof

i live in missouri and this year i used 1/2 a tank of gas trying to hit a deer since i didnt have any luck i guess the der dont like foriegn vehicles since my uncle has at least 3 accidents a year in his monte carlo and my cousins boyfriend hit 5 at one time this year
Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 PM

I live in PA, the state with the most deer collsions. I've hit one. I was following a line of cars, and the poor thing just jumped out of the tall grass on the side of the road. Say what you want about not hitting the brakes or swerving. When you're going 60mph and something jumps in front of you, you are going to pound on the brakes.
I've heard the logic about hitting the brakes causes your front end to dip, turning your car into a wedge, leading the deer up your hood and into the front seats. I'm not a physicist, but I think that speeding up would increase the chance that you'd pop a 200lb weight with hooves and horns up into the air and through the windshield. That, or just do more damage to your vehicle.
Additionally, my parents got hit my a deer while stopped at a stop sign. There are just some times when you can't avoid it.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Contributing Member

Snowplows are gauranteed protection against deer. As long as you have a good mount to your frame, you can plow through at least 2 deer and keep going as long as you keep your wheels straight. Since that happened in my dad's 4Runner in the country a snowplow kinda blends in, elsewhere you'd probably just get a lot of stares as to why that dumb*** has a snowplow on. There's my 2 cents on this. When I lived in PA I saw a lot of deer impact crashes and those buggers just like to wait to jump out right in front of you regardless.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:30 AM

My wife and I play the deer game - when you see the sign on the side of the road, you start the game, driving as you usually do, if you hit a deer, you win...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Try to stay behind 18-wheelers. That way you just get the spray of blood, maybe a leg or head to boot.

While we're on the topic, bear whistles don't work either.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:54 AM

I have the deer (snake oil) whistles on my Corolla for 10 years now. In Ohio, we have deer; and the only difference is that the deer are looking at me when I pass rather than ignoring me, when I am driving the 4runner.

Remember lights are good to see them but bad when they are frozen staring at your lights. You are suppose to make noise; horn or skidding tires, and as far as your lights, flash them to break the hypnotic trans they are in.