Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

deck plate mod about to be done. some small questions about tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deck plate mod about to be done. some small questions about tools

Ive been researching different methods of installing this deckplate.. I guess you could call me paranoid as my dad is very skilled but hasnt let me do a damn thing in my life by myself and Im scared to do anything. Plus he bitches at me about his tools.

would using a hole saw be easier then a jigsaw perhaps.. both my father and some guy told me that their wasnt a 4 1/4 hole saw (i know hes lieing) my dad said they are expensive. point is whats the easiest way out.

i was looking at two bolts that would need a long rachet head right? and do I have to take the maf sensor out. anyway to keep it from being harmed? Im scared if i pulled that out id eff it up.

Thanks for any help and however stupid of questions these may be
Old 06-02-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a dremel tool for mine. I bought it for about $45 at Sears and have used it countless times since. A 4.5" hole saw will be rather expensive. A jig might work too, but you'll have to drill some small pilot holes first--should work fine, just cut carefully.

I would recommend putting some mesh in front of the intake. I am amazed what I find in the screen and certainly wouldn't want those items clogging my airfilter.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

A hole saw sure makes it easier. They're like $20 or so for a 4.5".

You'll need some ratchet extensions to easily get to a couple of the airbox bolts.

Look at the writeups and threads for this mod - there are a bunch and they'll take the guesswork out of it. I was a bit aprehensive before doing this mod too (due to technical/wrenching inexperience) but it's really not too difficult at all.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

They aren't stupid questions. But, have you checked out Atwinda's writeup on Mor4wd.com? It's a GREAT writeup, and pretty much explains everything. I used a Dremel tool to do mine, and it worked great. Just make sure you clean the box out really well before re-installation. You'll do fine. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Banned

no i didnt see that one writeup..

thanks for all the tips everybody

Thought id get started on it today.. I think the mesh would be a big help.. dont want bugs in the airbox lol
Old 06-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had looked into doing this mod, but went w/ the air elbow mod instead. Yes you can buy a 4 1/4" hole saw that attaches to a drill. I looked at them at Lowe's and they sell them for $30.00. That's a little pricey since I'd only use it one time, but it would allow you to make a quick hole. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that hole saw size is out there, but is pricey.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

i used a rotozip from sears, it worked great, i would take the sensor out if i was u, its easy
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

I used a regular drill to do mine took a while and made a mess, but it turned out fine. Ya, that one bolt up front needs a long extension that makes it a biatch to work with. I would highly recommend removing the MAF and the whole airbox to make sure no bits get where they shouldn't.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tanto
...I would highly recommend removing the MAF and the whole airbox to make sure no bits get where they shouldn't.
WERD.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

I also used a rotozip on mine. The lip of the deck plate wil easily cover any small errors. The cost of a hole saw is not cost effective unless there is no other way or you already have one which it sounds like you do not.

I will 3rd that removing ithe entire air box is nec and taking off the MAF sensor is a good idea also.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 PM

When we did the airbox mod on my wifes 4Runner last weekend we used only a few tools: A drill with a couple of different bits, jig saw, 12mm socket, extensions, socket wrench, phillips screwdriver, and a piece of 60 grit sandpaper.

Remove airbox, remove MAF from airbox, mark airbox, drill hole for jig saw blade, cut hole with jigsaw, drill screw holes using deckplate as template, sand the edges to get crap off edges, wash airbox with garden hose, dry airbox, clean MAF with electrical contact cleaner (optional), cut screen to size, install deckplate, tighten bolts, clamp screen on inside, install MAF, dance a happy dance, install airbox, drop in new air filter, reset ECU (EFI Fuse), drive happy!!

We didn't use the sealant that others used because we don't go mudding, she just wanted the free HP and MPG.

The wife did most of the work because I had already done mine last year and she wanted to learn.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

I bought one of these at Harbor Freight and it worked great. Just make sure you tighten every set screw real well. Don't forget the "electronic safe" silicon gasket sealant. I like the screen, I should probably install one of those :pat: no problems ...so far
Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Would more than do the job and a set is only $13. It's not the best quality, but for something you may only use once, why pay $30 for it???

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36222
Old 06-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

When you buy the hole-saw, take your deckplate with you to compare sizes. When I did mine I found that most hole-saws were either too large or too small to work with the deck plate I bought. The adjustable one that Harbor Freight sells runs ~$8.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ac808m
When you buy the hole-saw, take your deckplate with you to compare sizes. When I did mine I found that most hole-saws were either too large or too small to work with the deck plate I bought. The adjustable one that Harbor Freight sells runs ~$8.
That's why I used a jig saw. No driving around, no guesswork, just cut on the line.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

fortunatly i found a 4 1/2 and a 4 inch hole saw my dad has and there isnt a problem there.

going to start working on it tomorrow and ill post pics as well as how it went.

thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Cool Which one is better?

The plate mod looks pretty cool but is there really a difference between that and just removing the 90deg elbow?
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

removing the elbow risks the filter getting damaged with water if takin off road with any creeks or what not. you can seal the deckplate up
Old 06-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

neliconcept

I'm a noob to modifying my 4 runner, but everyone on this website makes it easier than I think it is.

I installed my deckplate last weekend and it was easier than I thought. I used a jigsaw to cut the hole because it's what I had and cutting the plastic wasn't hard at all. Like everyone said, make sure you clean out the airbox after cutting the hole. I used a damp rag and compressed air several times to make sure I got every little shard of plastic.

You will definitely hear and feel the difference when you reinstall the airbox and hit the road.

Last edited by saulgoode; 06-02-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ajw62428
The plate mod looks pretty cool but is there really a difference between that and just removing the 90deg elbow?
I did both the deck plate and removed the elbow. I do not do water crossings deeper than maybe 18" because of location so not an issue here.

I absolutely felt a throttle response differance after this and the Amsoil filter.

Quick Reply: deck plate mod about to be done. some small questions about tools