Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Day at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day at the dealership

Hi all, sorry for the long post, but I'd like to share my visit to the dealership with you guys.

It was time for my regular 5,000 mantainence, I was told by the service guy from my last service visit at Puente Hills Toyota that my plug wire could be changed. I was also told from a member at UltimateYota.com the Iridium spark plug I put in last year that they are too hot for stock 4runners. good for Supercharged 4runners, but not stock. too much heat = early detonation = decreased mileage (among other things). stick with the stock OEM denso plugs. So I purchase both OEM denso plugs and plug wires at Longo Toyota for:

OEM plugs: $2.28/ea
OEM wires: $46.07

When I went to Longo Toyota, I talked to the parts guy and the service guy about the plug, the parts guy said Iridium plug is good I can keep them in my truck, but the service guy told me to switch back to regular plugs because the factory suggestion is always right. He also told me that my plug wires looks fine. Anyhow, I asked the service guy how much would they charge to put in OEM plugs and wires which I provide all the parts. He said:

Labor: replace spark plugs = $89.95
Labor: replace spark plug wires = $168.36 (He can do it for $135 for me)
Total labor: = $225

The price blew me away in a bad way. So I told them to just do my regular maintainence for $85.75 with 10% off for $77. After they finished, the service guy told me there are several problems with my truck:

1) The brake fluid needs to be flushed for $109.95
2) Both wiper inserts for front and rear needs to be replaced for $18.
3) The rear 3rd break light is bad, replace for $53.

I ended up doing the wiper inserts and brake flush on top of the 5000 service.
Total out of door: $192.89. My question would be:

1) I would like to know from you guys if Iridium plugs are OK for stock engine 4runner or are they too hot that I should remove them? I Searched.
2) Plug wires and plugs are pretty easy tasks that I can do it myself?
3) Rear 3rd break lights are easy for me to do myself?
4) Brake flush easy to do also?

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:33 AM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its all easy to do, but it sounds like you need to find a new shop.
quote:
Labor: replace spark plugs = $89.95
Total labor: = $225

he has to pull the wires to do the plugs and they are trying to rip u off
Old 11-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSR
I hope that includes the parts as well as labour.

Last I checked, changing plugs on a 3.4 was 0.8h and plug wires would only add 0.2h on top.

Brake flushes are generally an 'upsell' which you can do yourself with a dollar store turkey baster. Just suck n' fill the reservoir. LABEL the turkey baster so that you don't use it for anything else.

After a couple weeks, suck n' fill again, you're done.

When you do brake pads, open the bleeders before you retract them, and do a quick brake bleed afterwards. Your reservoir fluid stays cleaner that way.

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Brakelight is held on with two philips screws. Try a bulb first. If the lens is cracked, you'll need the whole thing.

Plugs and wires are simple. You need a 5/8" sparkplug socket, plus a 10mm wrench to get the diagnostic connector and ground wire out of the way. Shouldn't take you more than a couple hours, as the dealership charges 0.8~1.0 for that job, as I mentioned in the post above.

Most of the time, K16TR11 (stock) plugs work fine on a stock runner. Supercharged trucks usually use colder plugs which have a higher number, like 18, 20 or 22. Colder plugs are more prone to fouling, which can be an issue during cold weather starting.

Last edited by 86tuning; 11-08-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spleling
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 AM

yeah, thats too high if its not parts and labor. The plugs aftermarket are somewhere between 2 and 4 dollars for ngk plugs. @ different ones were listed, one had a single ground electrode, one was a dual ground electrode. Ngk wires are 40 dollars. From what I understand the fact of the plug being a copper, platinum or iridium should have no effect on the heat range, its how long the plug will last in service. The iridium and platinum tips also have a self cleaning property, because the tips on these plugs are usually much smaller and pin point. The brake fluid flush is a way to drain your fluid and your wallet.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on the dealer side of things so I know the ins of it. The brake flush is considered an "upsell" for us. We get an hour of labor plus $5 for sticker from every flush. For the brake flush we put 4 tubes on each bleeder screws and loosen them. Then we put the machine's brake fluid cap on it and let it do it's own work. Here's how we make money. While the machine is doing the work we work on something else until it beeps.
As for prices on labor I would suggest the dealer to print out the "factory R&R times" we use alldata, but other dealers can use other sources. As far as parts prices they usually bump the wholesale cost up as far as 75% at our dealer depending on the product.
The brake bulb you can do yourself. I'm not sure why they are trying to charge you that much. We charge .2 lbr/hr for bulbs unless plus price of bulb. It's usually no more than $20.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 AM

run from that stealership.... $53 to change out your 3rd brake light!! yeesh-takes 5 minutes to pull the spoiler and the lens cover. Bulb is like $5-10 at most. Don't go LED it may cause problems.

a true brake flush is through the bleeders at each wheel. Piece of cake with one person pressing the brake pedal and holding it down while you open the bleeders one at a time. Your other assistant can be keeping the brake fluid reservoir full-never let if fall to empty.

Close the bleeder and have the friend behind the wheel let up on the brake pedal move to next wheel and repeat.

search brake flush for better description.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 AM

Longo is the wrose place for parts. i got a whole set of plugs and wires with shipping and tax about $62 to my door from Northridge Toyota.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 AM

Thanks all for the info

"run from that stealership.... $53 to change out your 3rd brake light!! yeesh-takes 5 minutes to pull the spoiler and the lens cover. Bulb is like $5-10 at most. Don't go LED it may cause problems."
I got that fixed, the Sylvania replacement bulb at Autozone costs $4.99, saved $48.

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
Longo is the wrose place for parts. i got a whole set of plugs and wires with shipping and tax about $62 to my door from Northridge Toyota.
Actually, Longo did matched my spark plugs and wires from online prices, but still not as cheap as your $62 including shipping and tax. Mine came out to $59.75 + tax = $64.68 and I pick up myself. But they are still much better than Puente Hills Toyota.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
repost I know but check out this from our local Toyo dealer