Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

darn motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 97 runner that I just pulled my 3.4 to install another from a 2003 tundra. There are differences coolant lines and intake and exhaust some vacuum lines so take pictures for your piece of mind! I have some pics I can text but can't post yet.do yourself and use your old harness. If you get a water pump get the water pump for the engine your installing. I'm going back today to spend a day cleaning and buttoning up loose ends before I attempt the install.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to know thanks. i will be using this thread for all pics and updates. I will take tone of pics and have a friend over to upload and name them while i get dirty.

also, yesterday my bros loaner truck alt belt broke some when battery died so did truck. damn bad lucks with trucks. i have AAA so they towed to my place now i have to do fan belt r/r. its hot outside

tool list for swap? my dog will be hanging for the action so here he is.

Last edited by sdsurfer; 08-02-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM

ok so I picked up an engine stand, and started with this lovely project. here is a pic of the progress...
removed hood n battery.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:22 AM

i picked up the engine yesterday, today i am goint to pick up stat, timing belt and water pump and gaskets all oem from toyota...here is a pic of otherside as requested.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Great pics, and I like your dog too!!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 PM

i do not have a ratchet wrench large enough to remove crank pulley. maybe i can use a cheater bar plus socket wrench.

i have engine on stand now, new denso plugs and timing belt housing off. there is some large cunks of pink fliuuid hardened . pics soon its late im sleepy. cya
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM

i see others have posted regarding the crank pulley. I have wedged a pry bar in the flywheel to keep crank from spinning. Here are some pics. I will get a cheater bar today.

I also discovered the timing belt is OLD and there was a leak of water from water pump so good thing I am replacing. Does anyone know if I need sealant for water pump gasket? or the gasket seal by itself is ok? thanks for help in advance.

on the stand

the exhaust manifols are different too. from 01 tundra to 96 runner... I will use 4runner manifolds to avoid smog issues next year for registration purposes.

thanks again for all those who will help with posts and tips! karma
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM

AND A COUPLE MORE OF WATER/coolant buildup.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM

i can not get the pulley bolt off. as in earlier post. I have a huge socket, now i have a cheat bar and that bend too. then my socket wrench broke too. Are these reverse threads? lol

help. i have read the manual and nothing about reversed threads?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sdsurfer
i can not get the pulley bolt off. as in earlier post. I have a huge socket, now i have a cheat bar and that bend too. then my socket wrench broke too. Are these reverse threads? lol

help. i have read the manual and nothing about reversed threads?
If you are talking about the big pulley socket, easiest way is here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...sy-way-185561/
Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 AM

i picked up a breaker bar, two sticks of EMT from buddys garage and it worked. now the pulley is stuck... i will be removing more pulleys in near future so i will pick a pulley puller up today. Any more tips from the pros? please. as some have you done this what to expect? maybe another engine stand for runner engine so i can do side by side of all engine parts. post please,, thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Ok, for those who are following... I removed the pulley via 10 dollar pulley puller from harbor freight. 5 blocks away. after removing the water pump i noticed a lot of surf rust in the water/coolant passages. here are some current pictures. I quess it should be ok ill just lightly remove rust before reasseble..

Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Yes SDsurfer, following along w/great interest. Thanks for the update & pics.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM

thanks for following thread. glad to know im not alone! haha next will be the install of waterpump and gasket. i saw somewhere that someone used some caulking sealant stuff combined with the WP gasket. is this recommended? Also my engine hooks came in today so picked those up. I have yet to remove bad engine from runner, maybe this weekend
Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 PM

one more question? the waterpump from "tundra engine appears different. ihe housing has no tube off of it, the new waterpump has a tube coming out of the side.. show pics soon.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by sdsurfer
one more question? the waterpump from "tundra engine appears different. ihe housing has no tube off of it, the new waterpump has a tube coming out of the side.. show pics soon.
From what I've read that tube might be for the oil or tranny cooler that only came on some vehicles. You will want to verify that though - don't take my word.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM

NOT......that this is your main concern at this point in time but for that broken fuel gauge, as long as it's not completely dead (not moving) try some Techron fuel system cleaner in the tank (if you haven't already). It worked on mine and has helped corvette owners from what I understand. Evidently sulphur or other crap in the gas gets hung up around the sending unit linkage.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by tantric33
From what I've read that tube might be for the oil or tranny cooler that only came on some vehicles. You will want to verify that though - don't take my word.
YEs, that tube goes to the oil cooler from what I remember when I changed my wp on my engine.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Speaking of engines, I am doing an engine swap, I have the 6 bolts connecting the engine and tranny together and the motor mount bolts. I am wondering, do I really need to mess with taking the tranny crossmember bar off and loosening that tranny, or can I just take the 6 bolts out? Or, can I take the tranny and engine out together? anyone have any ideas or experience on this?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 PM

yes that is right. and besides its better to have it on and not need then to need it and not have it there.

NOT......that this is your main concern at this point in time but for that broken fuel gauge, as long as it's not completely dead (not moving) try some Techron fuel system cleaner in the tank (if you haven't already). It worked on mine and has helped corvette owners from what I understand. Evidently sulphur or other crap in the gas gets hung up around the sending unit linkage.
i doubt that will fix. shortyly after i bought truck, it begaun to misfire, while thinking it was clocked or gummed injector, i used techron like five tanks in a row. it turned out to be bad wires so 75 bucks later, new plugs too the thing ran great. but the dousing of teckron 92 fuel with the added stuff tanks still missreads shortly after i fill her up.

Originally Posted by dbole
YEs, that tube goes to the oil cooler from what I remember when I changed my wp on my engine.
yup yup thanks...

Originally Posted by dbole
Speaking of engines, I am doing an engine swap, I have the 6 bolts connecting the engine and tranny together and the motor mount bolts. I am wondering, do I really need to mess with taking the tranny crossmember bar off and loosening that tranny, or can I just take the 6 bolts out? Or, can I take the tranny and engine out together? anyone have any ideas or experience on this?
I have google this topic for months now, some say leave it in but inorder to take engine out the tranny needs to be loose and supported with a jack or blocks of some sort. take pics please and feel freed to jack thread anytime. the more posts the better! pics soon again... battery died on cam now charging

Quick Reply: darn motor swap