Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

darn motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am currently doing an engine swap on my 95 22re pickup. still working on new engine replaceing chain,pumps,thermostat,oilprsr switch. etc etc...... still have a few questions... wats easier dropping tranny then pull engine? support tranny and pull engine? ive heard of doig this but cant picture how you put the shaft through flywheel etc... or can you pull the enine with the tranny still attached? any help would be apreciated..
Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 AM

water pump and valve cover issue is quite common problem to faced at 300K.

I suggest repair that instead, probably costing you couple of $tens to get it done by yourself.

"Don't fix it it ain't broken!"
Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM

I just did one in my runner I would go the route of the junk yard motor with low miles almost 300k is alot of miles to sink another 1000 into it.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 AM

radio would shut off at lights

sorry about the subject learn how to work this site lol
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 PM

I may have missed it but I might mention the "new" motor will very shortly be in need of a timing belt and water pump anyways unless you know it was already done.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 PM

Those repairs are insanely overpriced and can be done at home easier than swapping motors. But, if you're adamant about spending that much money I'd get the motor with lesser miles on it, and do almost the same maintenance, water pump, timing belt, belts and hoses etc (order OEM parts off the net and do it all your self with the motor on the stand.) to have peace of mind. You'll end up changing that in 30k more miles, or do it now while the motor is out and not worry for another 90k.
First motor I pulled was my grenaded 3.4, I hydro locked it. We tore it down before pulling the bottom end thou so it took a little more time. We left the tranny in.

This is with just with me and a friend, he had some experience pulling motors but never a 3.4

The other motor was put back in, in less than 1 day and fired up. but don't make the mistake of putting your plug wires in the firing order, there's a plug order. My bad.

Also, I pulled the wiring harness with my 3.4 and left the wiring harness on the replacement 3.4 on when I put it back in, only to find out the plugs are different to the ECU because the motor I bought was for an auto, and I had a manual, I think dealing with that was harder than the swap, because I dealt with it, with out pulling my motor back out. Allot of hard to reach plugs on the motor.

Last edited by prorunner; 04-27-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You CAN do an engine swap yourself but you'll definitely want an extra vehicle with it being your first time. I've done quite a few in the shop in a day or day and a half. Keep in mind I'm experienced, have plenty of tools, and have proper equipment (engine hoist, post lifts, and ALLDATA). I encourage anyone to do things for themselves on vehicles, you learn and often times learn the hard way but the feeling of accomplishment is great. That being said I would recommend you have a buddy that knows what he's doing, beg borrow and buy the tools you will need, and get an FSM manual.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Nice. Well 830 bucks later.

Full detail, oil change, tire rotation, both cv boots, power steering pump swap, rear axel seal(left this time). See pic at local surf spot.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM

I think we need to change the mentality about high milage.

The term high milage is very objective to Toyota engines as most ppl would assume that it's at the end of its life. That is not true although maintenance is very dependent on that and I believe most people are in-grained about general maintenance to keep the car running long.

If the engine checks out soundly (good oil pressure, no knocking, etc...) then who cares about "high milage" engines. Just drive it until the the single repair is more than what another engine would cost.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 AM

I totally agree. So for meantime I will be adding gas oil and water. LoL

Also, this will be my on going engine swap journal with pics!

I will take my time, find a pulled motor, stand and yup. Put née parts on it in garage. Then if engine dies, I'll be ready.

Until next update! Adios

Surfer in SD ca.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 AM

ahh crap, during driving trips for work to and from SD to LA, my check engine light came on. a few days later it went away. Now two days ago my truck over heated a little bit and while cooling down halfway, I added garage temp water. 75-77 degrees to the radiator. it took almost a full gallon. my oil was also low so I added a quart. The next day after a hot date, my truck now runs on like 3-4 cylinders. The check engine light came back on but not until yesterday. now I have 295000 miles on my truck but I love it and I will fix it when it sees pain. Any ideas what this could be?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:02 PM

head gaskets went or water pump, do u see water on the ground under it? or white smoke. i guess it is time to start looking for that other motor go buy some more tools u will need that u dont have and pull a motor, i would also check to see what codes are in the computer that will also help with whats going on,
Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been working on cars since I was 16. I have the tools & scars to prove it. I could do the swap in a weekend, but based on your statements its not happening in two days.

Read up on the build threads and do a lot looking, then plan on it taking a week and another vehicle.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
head gaskets went or water pump, do u see water on the ground under it? or white smoke. i guess it is time to start looking for that other motor go buy some more tools u will need that u dont have and pull a motor, i would also check to see what codes are in the computer that will also help with whats going on,
i dont know yet but it runs rough. sometimes all six kick in and vrooom it goes. when i let off it runs cuucuucuubugbugbugbugubugu.

thanks im looking...

Originally Posted by skypilot
I have been working on cars since I was 16. I have the tools & scars to prove it. I could do the swap in a weekend, but based on your statements its not happening in two days.

Read up on the build threads and do a lot looking, then plan on it taking a week and another vehicle.
my statements? not sure but yeah I am not car guy by any means. Oil change. jet kit swap on old holley 4barrel. points and rotor swap old 350. lol

thanks though, the junk yards do swaps so ill find one and have it in for 1200.

ill update with pics once this goes down
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Could you elaborate a bit more on the "junk yard" swaps for $1200? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM

I am in middle of engine swap with a 98 going into a 7 4runner, and I have been at it for the last week off and on with work and family committments. I am going to say that you will need more than 2 days and also alot of patience and make sure you get the FSM. IF you need it, just look on here and there is place to find it. It has been a big help to me as have the guys here. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Yeah I must be crazy. I have bad luck this month. Now work is slow so funds are low. I have purchased this engine but need to pick it up soon. When it rains it pours but I still smile. Pics

I have also placed order for new water pimp stat n timing belt. Do these parts come with gaskets too or are those separate. I am picking them up OEM Toyota store.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:35 PM

I am not sure, but when you get to the Toyota store, just ask them for the gasket for the water pump. I believe when I did my water pump, the gasket was separate purchase.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Hey, can you take picture of the back of the motor. I am curious what those bunch of wires on the right side of the motor(drivers side) are. I think they are for the transmission, but not sure and getting ready to take out my engine. thnx
Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 PM

No pics avail until I pick up motor. That is the wiring harness from tundra. The guy I bought it from was going
To drop it into a 85 truck so he had the harness too.

Quick Reply: darn motor swap