Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Crickets in your clutch? Chirp, chirp, chirp… Fix’em like this.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crickets in your clutch? Chirp, chirp, chirp… Fix’em like this.

So you have that cricket sounding noise chirping away from under your truck but if you just ever so slightly rest your foot on your clutch pedal it goes away? Drive ya nuts? ME TOO! First I tried the lithium spray into the throw out bearing through the rubber linkage boot… (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...1&goto=newpost) that worked for oh, about a ½ a second… well 2 months & 600 miles but the damn crickets came right back!

So I found this post on 4x4wire and it makes such sense, so simple… take the little bit of slack out with the adjustment just like you do when you rest your foot on it, DUH! Check it out:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1

This is strange and can't figure it out. When I drive along in my 2002 Toyo Tacoma I can hear a squealing noise. Similar, but lower then worn out brake pads. If I just rest my foot, very gently on the clutch pedal the squealing noise goes away. I don't really have to put pressure on the clutch pedal. Is there something that needs lubricating? I should also note this does not effect operation at all. No play in the clutch, no slipping, etc...

This is a fairly common issue. It is the throw out bearing; just adjust the linkage between the clutch pedal and master cylinder. Adjust it to make the rod longer; only adjust it to the point that the noise stops. This procedure has fixed my truck, as well as a few others. Mine was 40k miles ago and the noise hasn't come back.

Thank you for that information. Is this the proper procedure?

The clutch master cylinder has an actuator rod that connects to the clutch pedal. This rod has a lock nut on it. Loosen this nut and turn the rod to lengthen or shorten the pedal free play. Hope this helps.

Yes, that is the rod to adjust; it needs lengthened just to the point the noise stops.

Haven’t done it to mine yet but I will ASAP!
biGjOhn

Last edited by SuaveGato; 08-30-2006 at 03:28 PM.