Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Couple Questions

How's it going? I just recently purchased a 4Runner and I found this forum through Google. Hopefully it will become useful from time to time. My 4Runner:

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6
four door
automatic
dark blue
31x10.5 tires
aftermarket alloy wheels
115k miles
I got it for $3100

Everything works perfect on it except for the cruise control. Is there any easy way to fix this (like possibly a blown fuse or something)? If not, it's no biggy, but just curious. Also the transmission shifts a little hard into overdrive. Is this normal, or is there anything I should do about it?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: A Couple Questions

Originally posted by J Rock
How's it going? I just recently purchased a 4Runner and I found this forum through Google. Hopefully it will become useful from time to time. My 4Runner:

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6
four door
automatic
dark blue
31x10.5 tires
aftermarket alloy wheels
115k miles
I got it for $3100

Everything works perfect on it except for the cruise control. Is there any easy way to fix this (like possibly a blown fuse or something)? If not, it's no biggy, but just curious. Also the transmission shifts a little hard into overdrive. Is this normal, or is there anything I should do about it?

Thanks for the help!
At the bottom of the page where you see all the threads, like your questions here, there is a search window. Type in some general words along the lines of your question and something relevant should come up that will help.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old 09-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the symptoms besides no cruise control. Any lights coming on or flashing? Does the cruise engage, but not maintain speed? The factory service manual has a detailed description on how to diagnose the cruise control, but you have to start with a symptom first. I'm sure someone on the board has access to a manual for the '90's.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:37 AM

There are no lights or anything that seems out of order. The cruise control light lights up when I turn on cruise, but it will not engage and hold speed. I don't have a Toyota manual either, so that's kind of a crappy deal. I should probably just go pick up a Chilton's manual on my 4Runner. It would probably come in pretty handy.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:18 AM

A buddy at work with a 95 4Runner had the same problem. I opened up the cruise control box on the passenger fender and found the cables weren't moving because their pivots were frozen with dirt. A good degreasing and some WD40 and everything was fine.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Not to sound like a jerk but do you know how to use the cruise control?

I don't know you from Adam so I just want to make sure you're not tearing anything apart without asking that question.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:14 AM

Sweet, I'll be sure to check that out when I get around to changing the oil this weekend.

I'm fairly sure I know how to use the cruise control, but all of the words have been rubbed off of my buttons so I don't know which one does what. I have pushed every button on the steering wheels though when the "cruise control" is lit up, but to no avail.

P.S. This is a little off topic, but how many quarts are needed to change the oil (and filter) on a 3.0 V6 4Runner? I don't have my manual so I don't really know.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

ah... okay.
you need to drive at a steady speed (with the older Toyotas you need to do so for a longer period of time) push the button and hold the stick down (not towards the console but towards your knees).

Hold it down while you have your steady speed and sometimes you'll feel the pedal underneath you go a bit limp - either way hold it down for a bit and then release and you should be cruisin'

Push it up to increase your cruising speed and bring it down again to lower the cruise speed. I believe if you push it towards the console you'll be cancelling it - not sure cause I always just push the button.

Check out Ebay and see if anyone is selling a manual they usually go for pretty cheap - max $10, I think.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Doesn't look like there's too many of those floating around. Maybe a different year (same generation) manual will work just as well?
Old 09-12-2003, 10:36 AM

Maybe. I'm sure I could just get a manual at one of the local car places (like Checker).

The things is, there is no stick for the cruise control. There is one buttom on the left side of the steering wheel, and two on the right, like so...

That's not mine, but it looks exactly the same.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

whoa, okay... then you want to find the manual because I don't know that kind of cruise control.

This is what I'm familiar with (was on my 92 Camry and on my Tacoma now):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2431978201

Still, I'm sure that there's some way to set the speed.
Maybe somebody else knows?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

I have the same problem on my rig. The light lights up but doesn't hold the speed. Atleast on my rig...the button on the left is the On/Off switch and then the ones on the right...the top one is I think set/accel and the bottom is Resume/decel. I also have a circular button just to the left of the set/resume buttons that is for canceling the cruise control.

I'm not sure what my problem is but I hardly ever have a use for cruise control anyway...so...its no big deal to me.

Let us know if you find anything.

Fink
Old 09-12-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by J Rock
Maybe. I'm sure I could just get a manual at one of the local car places (like Checker).

The things is, there is no stick for the cruise control. There is one buttom on the left side of the steering wheel, and two on the right, like so...

That's not mine, but it looks exactly the same.
The pic looks like mine so here's how mine works.

The button to the left of the wheel is the On/Off button.

The buttons to the right of the wheel: on the left is the Cancel button. On the right, the top one is Resume/Accelerate, the bottom is Set/Coast.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah cruise "on", then one push of "set" should do it. If not, then you may need further troubleshooting.

Is the cruise cable hooked up to the TB?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:48 AM

Button on the left turns it on. Button on the right is down for set/coast up for accel. Tap the brake pedal and it disengages the cruise control. Round button on the right is cancel I think but I just tap the brakes.

Last edited by Victor; 09-12-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:57 PM

I just developed a similar problem to this - right on time to keep up with the posts. I noticed that for about the last two times I have used the cruise control (including tonight) I had to push the button down and hold it and "twist" it to get it to engage (sorry that's the best I can explain it). So I used it tonight to go somewhere, park the truck for about two hours, come back and it doesn't work at all. I tried pushing the set button, holding it down, wiggling it, everything I could think of...nothing has changed, so what's the deal? Any help please, I don't like the feeling of having things not work on my truck, and I suspect it's electrical and I'm not real big on electrical. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:15 PM

Sounds like a faulty switch to me. In the picture it looks like you dont have air bags so maybe that will make the switch replacement go easier.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:35 AM

Okay, I'm narrowing down the search...as soon as I turn on my headlights my cruise control stops working. Can anyone see from a wiring diagram how the headlights being on might short the cruise out? BTW, I tore my dashboard down earlier this spring, but the cruise has worked with the headlights on since then. In the process of tearing the dash down, I had to take the trim off of the steering wheel - I guess I'll have to tear the wheel down again and see what I can see...