Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Corner turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Corner turn signals

Started the corner light turn signal conversion this afternoon. Finished one side but now its too dark to get done but they are gonna look sooooo COOL! I will do a write up later tonight when I get back from my basketball game. Here is a sample:

Wax ON

Wax OFF

If you look closely you will see the bumper turn light is starting to fade to off while the corner is already off
Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed. I've wanted to do this to my truck since I've bought it. I just didn't like the original write-up.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its as simple as simple gets. screw on's. get the top part clear too :]
Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infiltrator
its as simple as simple gets. screw on's. get the top part clear too :]
Yeah get some clear corner's to go along with the clear signal lens. Some super white bulbs wouldn't look too bad either, better than orange IMO.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Corner Blinkers For 96-2002 Toyota 4 Runner

Was looking for a simple but effective addition to my truck and this is as simple a mod that I have yet to do. When it comes to safety there is never enough you can do so here for your edification is my Corner light blinker option.

Some to the tools you will need:
#2 phillips screw driver
diagonal cutters
wire stripper
crimper
1/8th “ drill bit
9/16th ” drill bit
medium flat tip screwdriver
Utility knife
Q-tips swabs (2)

Parts:
1982-83 Honda Accord corner light sockets (194) (2 ea)
(4) wire crimps for 16-18 gauge wire
electrical tape

This is the stock OEM corner on a 1998 4Runner. The pictures in this write up will be of the drivers side or left side corner light.

This is what the 194 corner lights from the 82-83 Honda Accord look like

I chose these because they are a rubber grommet style insert unlike the twist-lock sockets on newer vehicles. In a previous write up, the author used a replacement socket utilizing an 1157 dual filament bulb. While these may be an effective alternative, it required drilling out the old twist-lock in the corner lights and then having to use silicone adhesive to seal the new socket in place is a short term fix at best. Without having to re-engineer the socket for ease of lamp replacement, I chose this option.

The up side for using the Accord sockets are many. They are small, will seal in the light assembly without any sealants or cutting new notches to make twist-lock sockets work. They will allow the use of the corner parking lights as designed as well.

First, open the hood and remove the hold down screw for the corner light.

Grasping the corner light, pull it directly forward. It may be a tight, snug fit but you will eventually feel the lense begin to move and then it just lets go so be ready.

Hold the lense in one hand and squeeze the tab on the base of the connector. Pull the connector out of the socket.

Twist the socket and remove from the lense. Locate a point approximately 1” above the OEM socket hole. Mark the center most position with a pen or Sharpie. This will be where you will drill your pilot hole with the 1/8th inch drill bit. Next you will need a 9/16th inch drill bit. I used a wood style bit mounted in a drill press. If you don’t have access to a drill press you can do it with a corded or cordless drill. Line up the point of the drill bit with the pilot hole and slowly drill out the new mounting hole above the OEM hole.

Trim up the edge of the hole to remove any slag pieces of plastic from drilling. I had to use a couple of Q-tips to remove some of the tiny bits of plastic slag that were being held by static electricity on the mirrored surface of the lense. Remove all of the shavings that you can. Ensure the hole edges are free of any remaining strands of plastic.

Gently but firmly press the rubber grommet of the Accord light socket in to the new hole and align the socket as shown.

Check that the socket is completely seated in the hole by checking for complete seating of the groove of the socket.

Next will be wiring the new sockets to be “blinkers”. Remove the bumper turn signals.

Disconnect the plug from the turn signal socket. There is s small tang that will need to be depressed in order to pull the plug free. Use a small tipped flat blad screw driver or a some other small tipped tool to press the tang down. Looking down from the top you will see the blinker wire is attached to an “L” shaped piece of plastic. Use the med tip flat blade screw driver and pry the clip out of its mounting hole near the bottom of the front support..

Pull the wires up through the opening where the corner light is attached to the fender so you can work on the wires.

Remove the tape securing the plastic mount from the wires. It may require cutting the tape so if you must do this, be careful not to nick the wires. Remove part of the tape from the wires themselves exposing approximately 6-8 inches of the wires.

The wires exposed are identified as follows:

Left :
Green/Black +
White/Black –

Right:
Green/Yellow +
White/Black –

Accord blinker lights:

Red +
Black -

First cut the green wire and strip approximately ½” of the insulation from each end.

Insert one end of the blinker wire into a crimp and crimp. Insert the second end along with the red wire from the new blinker and crimp. Ensure you push the wires in as far as they will go in the crimp.

Do the same with the remaining white/black and black wires.

Test the lamp to ensure it is operating correctly. I just turned on the hazard flasher. This operates both left and right simultaneously. If the lamp is not blinking check the position of the bulb in the new socket. I had a minor problem with the bulb being seated too deeply in the socket. When you are satisfied with the operation, reinstall the socket (if removed for adjustment) then re tape the sections of the wires with new electrical tape. Start at the plastic mounting “L” and continue wrapping the wire bundle including the crimps wrapping to the ends of the crimps approximately 1 inch and then wrap the wires separately so you will have a completely wrapped “Y” looking harness. Route any excess wire into the opening of the Corner light and install the lense.

Install the mount screw, install the bumper blinker assembly and you’re done!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice, I'll have to scour the local auto salvage yards now for the '82-'83 Honda Accord 194 corner light sockets...
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there a reason you cant simply take the wiring from the turn signals, cut em, disconnect the parking lights, and splice the turn signal wires into the parking light bulb? or are the voltages different?

edit: Ok, i figure its so you can have running corner lights, which simply get brighter when the turn signal is on. I ripped one of my blinkers out on a deactivation the other day & damaged the plastic part that holds it in, and I really dont care about running lights, so I just cut them out, and powered the corner lights with the turn signal wire. works great. hopefully the lightbulb turning on and off all the time wont be a problem for it.

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-14-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ok, the problem I didnt notice before is that the blinker still flashes at 2x normal speed, as it would if it was missing a light. cant imagine why that would be, does anyone have any insight?

edit: after looking a little into it, the answer appears to be: too much resistance in the system. theres a bit of a wierd splice in that side from the previous owner, so I will take a look with the multimeter.

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.