Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Coil Swap write up

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil Swap write up

I have searched and have not been able to find a write for how to swap out coils on a 3rd generation 4runner. Does anyone know where to find this information?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:36 AM

sonoransteel.com
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 AM

rear's are super simple. just spray all the bolt with deep creep for about a week before to guarantee no broken bolts.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

As you're nearing 100 posts, I'd have guessed you would know the search drill by now. Expect it to come up several times.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/beginners-thoughts-body-suspension-lift-tires-79546/

That's a thread going on right now in this forum. Personally, I think he missed a few steps to make it easy. But, you should get done.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bennito; 02-27-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:39 PM

what specifically would you add/change? I have been watching that thread you linked to as well, very helpful.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sswearin1
what specifically would you add/change? I have been watching that thread you linked to as well, very helpful.
The obvious step is to use the stock bottle jack upside down in the front wheel well to push the upper a-arm down so you can bolt the strut in easily. (I didn't come up with that, but used it successfully)

I probably would have left the panhard bar attached and disconnected the swaybar (i didn't have issues with nearly stretching the break line to failure).

Nuts on the rear shocks aren't too bad if you use a deepwell socket and a smaller ratched with more points of engagement. Still took a bit, but probably only 5 mins/shock. I tried a strap wrench on the shock body with little luck. Since I was trashing my shocks I ended up crushing them with some channel locks.

I also didn't have issues with spring compressors (but get the right size, for safety's sake).

Like I said, that guy got it done and I give him credit. I just found a few things easier (IMO).
Old 02-27-2006, 02:45 PM

http://www.4rnr.net/suspension.html
Old 02-27-2006, 02:47 PM

thank you both very much
Old 02-27-2006, 08:08 PM

I guess I did not see that thread while searching.

The front coils that I got still have the stock shocks in them and was wondering if I install them and then the rear coils will the truck sit uneven due to not changing the rear stock 2002 2wd shocks?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:06 PM

if youre putting in stock it'll be fine
Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennito
The obvious step is to use the stock bottle jack upside down in the front wheel well to push the upper a-arm down so you can bolt the strut in easily. (I didn't come up with that, but used it successfully)

I probably would have left the panhard bar attached and disconnected the swaybar (i didn't have issues with nearly stretching the break line to failure).

Nuts on the rear shocks aren't too bad if you use a deepwell socket and a smaller ratched with more points of engagement. Still took a bit, but probably only 5 mins/shock. I tried a strap wrench on the shock body with little luck. Since I was trashing my shocks I ended up crushing them with some channel locks.

I also didn't have issues with spring compressors (but get the right size, for safety's sake).

Like I said, that guy got it done and I give him credit. I just found a few things easier (IMO).
I would ditto the first two comments for sure.

Few things to add regarding the nuts on the rear shocks. Best way to remove is just to cut the studs off the tops of the shocks (use a sawzall to cut right through the rubber bushing).

Also a wall mounted strut compressor is ideal for changing the struts in the front, but spring compressors can be used pretty easily (they are much slower) as well as long as you use them correctly (don't skimp on the safety locks and crank on them equal amounts).

Final comment, shocks don't change ride height, only springs/spacers do.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-28-2006 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:21 AM

It all depends on what you are swapping the front coils for and what tools you have available. Your going to need a good socket set, wrenches, the bottle jack from your truck, and some jack stands. If you have a basic tool set and have done some simple work on your truck before you should be ok with hand tools. If you want to make your life easier you'll use a torque wrench. You'll also want to rent a pair of spring compressors to take apart the coils. You can rent those at any auto parts store, at advanced auto parts you just put down a deposit and get the full deposit back when you are done with them. Your also going to want a good rust penetrator like WD-40 or something similar.

The front is the hardest of the whole deal so get ready for alot of work. If you are just simply swapping out the coils for some new ones and not lifting the truck it is a bit easier. First your going to want to unbolt the three nuts holding on the coilovers on top. Then unbolt the lower bolt front the lower a arm. The coils should just slide out after that. If you got a full coilover from sway away or something similar then disregard this part. Then to take apart the shock compress the spring and then remove the nut holding the top plate to the shock and remove the plate and spring. Then release tension on the spring. Then compress the new spring with the spring compressors and put onto new shock, then put the plate on top and re thread the nut to hold the top plate. You want to make sure this stays as even as possible over the spring otherwise it won't sit right in the upper mount. After you have the coilover back together, the fun part begins. It takes a combination or brute strength and ingenuity to get the coilovers back into place if you are lifting your truck. What I did was disconnect the sway bar, and push down the a arms by placing the bottle jack between the fender and upper a arm and then extending the bottle jack. This only got me part way, I had to use a friend an a bar to push the lower mount into place so I could pound the lower bolt into place. I have heard people have better luck, but most don't so be prepared for a headache. Then all you have to do is rebolt the top 3 nuts and make sure you reconnect the sway bar.

The rear is easy all you have to do is spray the ลลลล out of the nuts holding the shock in place, then unbolt the shock and the springs just slide out. If you have trouble getting the shock to unbolt go and buy a strap wrench and hold onto the dust cover with that and use a wrench for the top. It will save you alot of hassle in the end, trust me. Then bolt the shocks into place then compress the new springs with the same spring compressors for the front and slide them into place. The same spring compressor should work for the front and the rear.

The rear took me 6 hours only because I took to long realizing I needed a strap wrench, the front took me 2 days because I had alot of trouble getting the new coils to slide back in to the mount. If you get a friend to help it will go much faster.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by William439
The rear took me 6 hours only because I took to long realizing I needed a strap wrench, the front took me 2 days because I had alot of trouble getting the new coils to slide back in to the mount. If you get a friend to help it will go much faster.
Holy cow....3 days!