Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Building the best all around 4Runner. input appreciated!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building the best all around 4Runner. input appreciated!!

I've owned a 2001 4Runner Limited 4wd for almost 2 years now, and have done little to it minus a/v mods. I love it, and plan on keeping it for quite a while as it is just at 76k.

However, been spending a lot of time in it as I take road trips quite often now. Looking to improve it a little, to make it a very road worthy vehicle, and also for some light off-roading. Basically, something I never have to worry about what the weather is doing.

For suspension, picked up a set of 99 tall coils, and ordered a set of HD Bilsteins. Also have ordered the steering rack bushings as the steering has a lot of play in it recently.

My next mods are where I could use a little input or suggestion. Doing road trips, it likes to wonder a bit above 60mph, and during gusts of wind, find myself half way in the other lane. I'm looking to make it a little more stable at 75-80mph speeds. Been doing some reading up on the Addco sway bars. Some people love them, others hate them. Wondering if the anti-sway kit from Wheeler's will solve my problems, or if sway bars are the route to go.

As far as wheels and tires go, not looking to up-size to still get okay mileage. Have ordered the S&B intake, and will fab up a cat back exhaust to help with airflow a bit. I realize this is not the vehicle for gas mileage, but gaining 2-3mpg would be great.

Looking to get the front shackles from Sonoran, and one for the trailer hitch for any offroading, or helping anyone stuck in the snow. Guess I'm rambling a bit... what things would you suggest for a 4Runner that is doing road trips 2x a month, and a little light trail duty?

Thanks for any input and/or advice!!! I lurk a lot, but don't post much.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well your doing road trips and light duty offroading.

Get some all terrains, like nitto tg's or bfg a/ts 265/75/16's, sliders and an elocker.

I still get 20mpg with my heaviness and 33's. I got 25 the other day going 55mph all the way.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 AM

The addco is a great addition, even if you only do the front, you'll notice an improvement around corners. The downside is that it does limit your articulation.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:00 AM

You have to ask yourself what you want most...because the more capable you make your rig offroad, the less comfortable it will be onroad and vice versa. So the trick is to find a balance that works for you depending on how much time you spend driving in each of those scenarios.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, for the BEST ALL AROUND 4runner, you're gonna need to get yourself a 1st gen body and slap it on your frame. hah! jus' kiddin!

readin your post, here's what i thought: sway bars help remove body roll in cornering. if you're feeling the wind push you around and want more stability at 60, i recommend some A/T tires (properly inflated of course) which have a stiffer sidewall, and wheels with a little more offset, decreasing the backspacing, so you gain a WIDER TRACK (stance). also, make sure your alignment is on target. toe, camber, or caster, one of them out will make it not hold a straight line as well. (i'm brain farting right now or i'd tell you)

previous suggestions of locker in the back, sliders on the sides, are excellent. locking up the back will give you the best possible traction, and protecting the rockers is really a good thing to do.

remember other good things, like gear. having one of them portable spotlights, or a large rubber cargo mat that you can pull out and stick under a slipping wheel, or lay on when doing under carriage emergency repairs in the dirt...good tools, heavy gloves, can of fix a flat or a plug kit, tow strap, just a big blanket, like furniture movers use...that stuff adds up quick too. gps is also nice.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Hey, I just did a 3,000 mile surf trip in 5 days. So ya, I rack up a lot of miles fast doing road trips and then light trail/beach stuff. I live in a big urban area, ie: limited parking, low parking garages, etc. So this compromise is important to me as well.

Here is what made my time in my 4runner better.... good sound system (but, no subs, amps, etc to drain the battery and take up space), good tint for security, comfort and keeping the temps down. I replaced the dome lights (not map lights) with red bulbs, easier on the eyes at night and less noticable when camping in prohibited areas. I also have a first gen roll bar in it, handy to strap the hi-lift to, fire extinguisher and flashlight and to tie stuff too. Like someone said, have some good gear with you as well, tow straps, etc.... inverters and jump starters are a good idea too. Ideally a sleeping platform that you can put stuff underneath would be cool. I have a good yakima rack system as well, but lately have been not using it trying to save on mgp.

On the outside i have a very good lighting set up. Hid, amber fogs, and hella 500s, all make driving at night grt. I also have a set of extra back up lights. i do a lot of night driving to avoid traffic and not waste day time. A good set of all terrains is key. i have the revos in 265/75, awesome. I do plan on doing a small lift in the future as well. tow shackles are good idea for the reasons you mentioned.

You mentioned wondering problems at higher speeds? I have none. sway bars are band aids. Find the real problem.

I kept my motor, exhaust bone stock for realibility and milage. No intakes, isr mods, etc. hope the drone from your new muffler sustem doesnt give you headaches at certain rpms on the freeway.

i manage anywhere from 14mpg to 20mpg depanding on hills, speed, etc.

hope it helps.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by mswfox
You have to ask yourself what you want most...because the more capable you make your rig offroad, the less comfortable it will be onroad and vice versa.
Ugh nope, i believe my rig is pretty capable and it is very comfortable on the road, leans in turns and the muds are muds so just turn on the radio. But its a very soft comfortable ride. When i have it loaded full of equipment it rides the best and it rides like a Cadillac.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 AM

First, the intake and exhaust is NOT going to help with airflow, unless you take out the cat, as well. You will achieve no better MPG and quite honestly, the exhaust might get annoying on the long highway drives. As far as the sway, you have a truck. The side of your truck has the aero dynamics of a barn door. No matter what you do to it, it’s not going to help you in the cross-wind situation. You’re just going to have to learn to deal with it. But I would suggest getting the poly bushings for the sway bar, and would suggest against getting the Addco.

Shackles are nice. Make sure to have a recovery kit, as well. Also would suggest doing little mods, like the rear diff breather mod, VSC/TRAC off mod (or called the Andy Mod—it’s in the tech article section). Maybe some armor, at least some sliders. Lockers are nice, but will you need it? The TRAC system works pretty well (familiarize yourself with how it works. Most people just mash the throttle and expect it to get them out of a jam). If you’re not going to be in any extreme trails, the locker should be towards the bottom of your list, IMO. As far as tires, I’ve not been too pleased with Nitto TG’s in snow. They were a bit squirrelly. I much prefer BFG KO’s. Wet traction isn’t that great, though. If I were to buy again, I might have to consider REVO’s (again) or Yokohama ATS. They’re a bit more quiet on the highway and does well in snow. Not as tough off-road, though.

Also, change out your fluids and keep up on maintenance. Even bone stock, the 4Runner will get you to a lot of places.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks for all the input so far...

I've got Michelin MTX tires on there right now, which have gotten me through 2 rough winters without any issues at all. I was trying to get it stuck in snow drifts, but having it in 4wd with the center diff locked got me out of everything. They have plenty of meat left on them, so probably will not be looking for tires for at least another year.

Will try replacing the front sway bushings from Wheeler's before dropping 300+ on sway bars. Also have a couple tow straps, gloves, flashlight, tool box, etc that are always in the truck just in case. It has Navi in it right now, which really helps out for road trips.

Will look into the free mods, especially the rear diff breather extension next time there is a nice day out. I've worked as a automotive tech, and have been wrenching on cars since I started to drive, so proper care always comes first. This being the first SUV I have ever owned, I wasn't sure if the swaying on the highway was a normal thing or not. After replacing the steering rack, front sway bushings, and installing the new struts/shocks and springs, I'll take it in for an alignment and wheel balance and see how it does.

I would love to do a rear locker, but don't see that coming for a while.. much rather do a set of sliders, and some better lighting options first, along with some more recovery gear...

I do appreciate everyone's input!! It really helps!!

Thank You,
-Chris
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM

I would stress simple things like foglights, bright bulbs and spares headlights, good thick rubber floor mats, cargo mats, seatcovers, tow straps, tools,a nice solid bumper for deer/wildlife. CB, and sirrus radio. (long drive)
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM

I would venture a guess your tie rod inners also have excess play in them. part of the wandering around on the highway. See what your alignment guys think while they have it on the rack.

Get to your rear axle seals before they get to you. Keep up with the maintenance and fluid changes and you will be in great shape. Power steering fluid flush is often ignored.

cackalack good to hear from you again.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's caster. check your caster bro, here's a link explaining the basics of alignment, and it specifies wandering at high speed is a caster issue. could be all you need, but of course, if you have a tie rod or other hardware issue, the alignment tech will find it.
http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireI...?pn=TireBasics

good luck with that best allaround build!!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
cackalack good to hear from you again.
What's up, RH. Been too busy with skiing and house work to post!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to improve your onroad handling a bit, when you change tires you might wanna consider going to a bigger rim aswell. Maybe a 17. It'll give you a little less sidewall but still be a decent ride. Maybe pick up for FJ wheel on the cheap or 4th gen wheels.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cbohl51

***Also have ordered the steering rack bushings as the steering has a lot of play in it recently.

***My next mods are where I could use a little input or suggestion. Doing road trips, it likes to wonder a bit above 60mph, and during gusts of wind, find myself half way in the other lane.

***As far as wheels and tires go, not looking to up-size to still get okay mileage.

***Thanks for any input and/or advice!!! I lurk a lot, but don't post much.
Here are my suggestions:

1. Steering bushings can be a PITA--be prepared

2. If steering and road manners are sloppy, i would take a look at my ball joints. There is a test for them

3. Keep the wheels but step up to some Nitto AT or similair--but remember you will be limited on what you can do--they do not clean out well in mud

4. Once you get started you will probably get hooked. Dont piece together systems and continue to upgrade. Take an honest look at where you want to be and make that your game plan.

EX--i started with a Limited slip and ended up with a custom triangulated rear, electric locker, 14" of travel, 35's......you get the picture. If i knew where i wanted to be from the start i could have saved a load of money!!!

A true triangulated rear setup correctly rides super smooth on the road--i mean really nice and smooth.

Henry