Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brembo Rotors and Perf Friction Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo Rotors and Perf Friction Pads

Anyone here on the forum have this setup on their 3rd generation? Specifically, Brembo rotors and Autozone's Performance Friction Pads for the front? If so, how do you like this setup? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:54 PM

I have that setup on my Taco(03)......love it!!!
You can feel a big difference(night and day)!!!

Last edited by NX Tacoma; 07-19-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by NX Tacoma
I have that setup on my Taco(03)......love it!!!
You can feel a big difference(night and day)!!!
What size are these rotors?? I have been looking to upgrade my 4th gen for some time now, and keep hitting dead ends. I am looking at Baer and Stillen, and they have 14.6" discs for a 6x5.5 on a chevy...I may buy these and bore out the center to get them to fit over the hub...?!...

Anyway, if any of you have a good disc/pad conntection, lemme know. I would love to go as big as i can cause i am running 22's and have 160lbs+ at every corner. Thanks.

Billy
Old 07-19-2004, 01:44 PM

wouldnt this increase nosedive because of lack of balance between front and the rear?
Old 07-19-2004, 01:48 PM

I have 20's, not as big as yours but they were still HARD to stop on stock brakes!
I bought Brembo cross/drilled rotors(same size as the factory) and Autozone's Performance Friction Pads. They worked great until I warped the rotor's. I now have brembo's regular rotor, Autozone's Performance Friction Pads and feel no difference in the rotor's(cross/drilled-regular), they stop great! Brembo's regular rotor's are alot harder to warp!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by NX Tacoma
I have 20's, not as big as yours but they were still HARD to stop on stock brakes!
I bought Brembo cross/drilled rotors(same size as the factory) and Autozone's Performance Friction Pads. They worked great until I warped the rotor's. I now have brembo's regular rotor, Autozone's Performance Friction Pads and feel no difference in the rotor's(cross/drilled-regular), they stop great! Brembo's regular rotor's are alot harder to warp!!!!
Hey, awesome. Thanks for the reply. What is the diameter though..??...I am guessing around 13"??

I'd love to jump to about a 15" or higher, though I have a pretty good feeling I could fit some discs for a chevy on with a little work.

As far as the nose dive question...i cannot see any probs if you are running the same size(or very close) rotors on all 4 corners.

Billy
Old 07-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by fourunnabilly
I'd love to jump to about a 15" or higher, though I have a pretty good feeling I could fit some discs for a chevy on with a little work.

As far as the nose dive question...i cannot see any probs if you are running the same size(or very close) rotors on all 4 corners.

Billy
I wanted to do the same thing you do you but for the $$$$$......no way!! A shop in AZ will do it for $2400!!
They customize the whole setup with Brembo 15" rotor's and brembo's 4 piston calipers. That would be sweet but....$2400!! NO WAY!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Billy,
Have you tried contacting stoptech? They make them for the tundra/sequoia, so that might be a little less work if your going to a big brake kit. Ive seen come crazy tests on those things. If you really want the mack daddy in brakes you have to go big reds ie porsche brakes. I don't know how different our truck disk setups are from the cars but I know its not hard at all to convert the bigreds to fit my buddy's Volvo so anything is possible.

As for just upgrading the pads/rotors, I wouldn't go with cross drilled, unless they are the top dog brembo's but even then you forfit some strength for the holes. I would go with the slotted however. I had powerslots on my runner and I miss them every day, espcially with 285s and steelies. As for pads, my best friend as well as his gf both have EBC "green stuff" pads and it appears to be the same compound on their SUV pads on their site. TireRack Sells EBC but is selling their older 6000 pads still. I would look into those as the greenstuff pads really are kick ass pads.

Good luck on finding some better brakes! Keep us posted billy, i'm sure you will
Old 07-20-2004, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
Billy,
Have you tried contacting stoptech? They make them for the tundra/sequoia, so that might be a little less work if your going to a big brake kit. Ive seen come crazy tests on those things. If you really want the mack daddy in brakes you have to go big reds ie porsche brakes. I don't know how different our truck disk setups are from the cars but I know its not hard at all to convert the bigreds to fit my buddy's Volvo so anything is possible.

As for just upgrading the pads/rotors, I wouldn't go with cross drilled, unless they are the top dog brembo's but even then you forfit some strength for the holes. I would go with the slotted however. I had powerslots on my runner and I miss them every day, espcially with 285s and steelies. As for pads, my best friend as well as his gf both have EBC "green stuff" pads and it appears to be the same compound on their SUV pads on their site. TireRack Sells EBC but is selling their older 6000 pads still. I would look into those as the greenstuff pads really are kick ass pads.

Good luck on finding some better brakes! Keep us posted billy, i'm sure you will
Hey, thanks a ton. I have some research to do now...have a good one, I'll keep ya posted.

Billy