Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brembo (Blank) Rotors and Hawk pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've read, I thought the tundra upgrade (the 199) would fit with no problems on the 16" (at least for 4runners), maybe tacomas are different??

For MK, did you ever figure out if it was a rear problem? I notice a few other posts related to braking again. I have the "thump" mentioned in one of the posts as well as the vibration issue. The thump occurs when I come to a stop, I'll pull away and I'll notice the gearshift selector jump a bit. This doesn't happen all of the time but probably ~80%. I'm thinking something is sticking. When I had it in the dealer a few years ago for to check this out, they checked the rears for the axle seal issue but didn't find anything. I'm not sure I trust these guys as they seem to be all over the place with their brake work. When I have time, I'll jack it up and pull off all the wheels to get all this figured out.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by VR23
From what I've read, I thought the tundra upgrade (the 199) would fit with no problems on the 16" (at least for 4runners), maybe tacomas are different??

For MK, did you ever figure out if it was a rear problem? I notice a few other posts related to braking again. I have the "thump" mentioned in one of the posts as well as the vibration issue. The thump occurs when I come to a stop, I'll pull away and I'll notice the gearshift selector jump a bit. This doesn't happen all of the time but probably ~80%. I'm thinking something is sticking. When I had it in the dealer a few years ago for to check this out, they checked the rears for the axle seal issue but didn't find anything. I'm not sure I trust these guys as they seem to be all over the place with their brake work. When I have time, I'll jack it up and pull off all the wheels to get all this figured out.

i talked with a reputable yota mechanic and he said this thumping noise IF not the back brakes is the drive shaft. due to lack of termonology its the part that extends in and out. he said if you use too much grease that it causes a suction type pressure in there and when you brake or take off you will hear it thump back in place.. anyone else know about this??
Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
i talked with a reputable yota mechanic and he said this thumping noise IF not the back brakes is the drive shaft. due to lack of termonology its the part that extends in and out. he said if you use too much grease that it causes a suction type pressure in there and when you brake or take off you will hear it thump back in place.. anyone else know about this??
Yes, it's called the slip yoke. Interesting your mechanic said it was caused by TOO much grease. My slip yoke problem was from lack of grease. Had you just greased yours?

Erich
Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Erich_870
Yes, it's called the slip yoke. Interesting your mechanic said it was caused by TOO much grease. My slip yoke problem was from lack of grease. Had you just greased yours?

Erich

i had the THUMP when i stopped at red lights and we were just talking as he was looking at a possible rear main seal leak and he showed and told me that alot of time its using too much grease. i told him i greased that shaft till it moved he said no just a few pumps on the grease gun is plenty. for the slip yoke. now for the piece that interlock them (again lack of termonology) he said grease the sh$t out of them.. lol
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM

oh and yes it will do that when the grease gets really thin and or getting really low.. he said pump a few times and let it ride ..... me i grease every oil change and he assured me that i didnt have to do that. that every other time is suffice.... personally ill just do it every time at 5k miles
Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Stopped at my mechanics today just to BS with him and he had me pull my Tacoma in and he did my Brembo rotors and Hawk brake pads this afternoon. He was waiting for parts for the other things he was working on. He also cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes and after replacing the rotors and pads we went for a ride. What a difference!! Now the front end has no shake at all and it's so smooth stopping it's unreal. Now we will see how long they last in these mountains. Mike
Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Keep er greased boy's! You can not over grease your vehicle today once the joint fills up the rest just runs out. It's like filling a glass with water, you can let the water run into the glass all day and you will still just have a glass of water, The rest just runs over but it will not make a glass any fuller and it will not hurt the glass.
Mine is greased about once a month or more when I'm of road and going through so much mud and water. Not keeping them greased is when you have problems that can be costly. Mike
Old 03-26-2007, 03:59 PM

With this new setup, what kind of difference do you notice in sure stopping power? I have a relatively new pads and autozone rotors but it seems the thing barely wants to stop, especially when going down some steep grades. Indiana doesn't have the mountains that you do in Virginia but we see plenty of hills...
Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Skrillah
With this new setup, what kind of difference do you notice in sure stopping power? I have a relatively new pads and autozone rotors but it seems the thing barely wants to stop, especially when going down some steep grades. Indiana doesn't have the mountains that you do in Virginia but we see plenty of hills...
A vehicle that will stop on a dime seems to be a thing of the past. I haven't owned a new or used one in years that would stop like I want them to. Even with these new pads and rotors the stopping is much improved but it still is not what I would really like. One thing that was good about the old ones with brake shoes all the way around it would stand you on your head when you slammed on the brakes! The problem was that you would also skid or slide right over the mountain in certain conditions when you locked up the brakes. That was the whole idea behind the dic brakes, smoother stopping without skidding out of control. We just have to get used to the idea of allowing for more assured clear distance I guess, Mike