See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Best brake pads for da runner??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best brake pads for da runner??

It`s time to replace my pads so besides stock what is a better brake pad you guys use? a
Old 05-23-2004, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jboy
It`s time to replace my pads so besides stock what is a better brake pad you guys use? a
Just put new pads on mine. Stuck with stock rotors and used Performance Friction #5024 pads from AutoZone. Check out Gadget's Site Regarding Brakes .

Best of Luck
Andrew
Old 05-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WatsonMD
Just put new pads on mine. Stuck with stock rotors and used Performance Friction #5024 pads from AutoZone. Check out Gadget's Site Regarding Brakes .

Best of Luck
Andrew
Same here. I had my rotors turned and put on the Performance Friction pads.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:24 AM

im running brembo rotors and TRD carbon metalic pads. Before people say the pads were money wasted I got them for $50. So being in Hawaii thats a good deal, that I wouldnt trade any pineapples for. hahahaha, I just gotta find some braided lines.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:51 PM

I have had great experiences with OEM ceramic pads.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WatsonMD
Just put new pads on mine. Stuck with stock rotors and used Performance Friction #5024 pads from AutoZone.

just did that today.
it's been my experience that stock pads constantly squeak and make a lot of brake dust, but last the longest.
performance frictions ones are silent, make no dust, but don't last quite as long.
i was willing to make that trade off.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:16 AM

I've had the TRD pads and while they were definitely better performing brakes they gave off alot of dust and didn't last that long. I needed to clean my wheels every week.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI: For any 2nd gen guys reading this thread...

The Autozone PN# for the EXACT Performance Friction pads is 4364 and the cost is $39.99

#5024 (1996 LC) should work based on other posts but 4364 is the exact replacement part. Funny thing is that 4364 isn't listed in their computer system or web site as fitting the 2nd Gens but they are the exact replacement part for 2nd Gens.

When you purchase them they will just ask you what application it is for, just tell them the its for your 2nd gen (don't have to tell them its for a LC like 5024). Then you will get lifetime replacement PF pads for your 2nd gen for free.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:23 AM

I love the Morse ceramic pads I got from AutoZone. I was told they were better than P.F. so I gave them a try... No dust or noise... a bit more $$$ though.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Check out the last few posts...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=rotors
Old 05-26-2004, 10:24 AM

I wish we had a autozone here in hawaii. We dont got Pepboys, Autobachs, GI joes, Vahns, Applebeys <sp?>, Olive Garden, Midake <sp?>, and a whole bunch of other stores. But good new were getting a Norstrams <sp?> in 2 years.

Damn, Hawaii so behind the times. Now Im gonna leave my grass hut, get into my canoe thats shaped like a 4runner and paddle to work
Old 05-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
I wish we had a autozone here in hawaii. We dont got Pepboys, Autobachs, GI joes, Vahns, Applebeys <sp?>, Olive Garden, Midake <sp?>, and a whole bunch of other stores. But good new were getting a Norstrams <sp?> in 2 years.

Damn, Hawaii so behind the times. Now Im gonna leave my grass hut, get into my canoe thats shaped like a 4runner and paddle to work
I bought everything online. Will they ship to you?

You should be happy to live in HI man, I am going to be surfing in 50-degree water this weekend in Oregon!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:52 AM

Dont get me wrong I love living here. I just dont like buying on line. i already had one bad incednt. And the shipping is exensive. I was just at the beach on sunday, I got sunburn.....I must sound gloomy. But I failed saftey check yesterday and have been down since.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:52 AM

I'd trade Autozone and the Olive Garden for a grass hut and a canoe any day!

I guess one man's hell is another man's paradise
Old 05-26-2004, 11:00 AM

If thats what you want. Just wrap it up and send it via UPS to me. I will send you my dehydrated grass hut and canoe. When you get it just add water.....
Old 05-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

While nobody has mentioned it, I would really recomend the slotted rotors. I had a set with carbon metallic pads (you have to b/c the groves eat organic pads for breakfast). I thought there was a slight increase in braking power, they looked cool so I was satisfied. Well, that was when I had stock wheels and tires. About a month ago I took my truck in to get the oil changed at the firestone place in savannah (I know the guys there and they know their stuff) and they told me I had no brakes left! So, I didn't have any time to order the real stuff b/c I needed my truck back so I just told them to put what they could get quickly on there. One of the biggest mistakes I have done in a long time. The difference was like night and day, I can't wait til thiese things are done so I can go back to my sltted rotors. The only down fall of the slotted rotors is that there is a slight sound that sort-of comes and goes from the slots but IMHO, WELL worth it. All of us getting big tires and stuff w/o upgrading brakes is not a good thing. I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with a big brake kit or something. Atleast using tundra stuff. I wonder if the 4thgen brakes would fit or how hard it would be to make them fit on the 3gens
Old 05-26-2004, 11:04 AM

Im running brembos and trd carbon metalic pads. Been that way for about a year. I better check my pad wear. Never thought about it that way thanksx tubroale
Old 05-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Austin -

I didn't go slotted for a couple reasons:

1. Gadget didn't have a good experience with them, and we all know that he knows everything

2. The difference in cost was overwhelming, and I could only find them via online stores that would not include a substantial warranty.

So, instead I went with the rotors from Autozone which I can take in for the next year if they warp. And we all know they are everywhere (except Hawaii, )

As for the big brake kit, I think part of the reason one has not been offered is because the clearance is already so tight. It would require the revamping of major compenents and a new dust shield.

My .02
Old 05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

I think the rep from Brabus (One of the biggest Mercedes tuners in the world) said it best, "When someone comes to us asking to turn his car into a rocketship and not upgrade the brakes, we start to wonder". Then added, and simply won't do it. Now, we are not making our trucks faster (well, some are but even if your not) We are quite possibly doubling the rotational weight and doing nothing to help stop it. Then putting soft suspension on to help flex but at the same time make our trucks less planted when at the limit and premotes body roll the list goes on... I'm not against doing it, I'm no hyprocrit I'm just trying to keep everyone safe as I know a lot of us use our trucks as DDs as well as trail rigs. I just want to keep people thinking and aware what they are doing to their (in some cases) family mobiles. I guess its what I get for having a Volvo Turbo as a first car.

I will give you that they need a little extra tlc (I always try and slowly move forward after comming off an off ramp for instance) but, they will treat you well back. I had a very bad warping problem with my volvo and my slotted rotors were the only ones that hadn't warped. I only had them 6 months before I sold it, but thats about how long the normal ones would last. (yeah, I'm HARD on brakes espcially in the summer b/c of the road I have to drive to work). They are also not turnable b/c of the slots, but thats why they won't give you a warentee spell??

Another thing for all you guys that like to play in the mud. The slots are there to pull heat and build up off the pads, they would also do the same for mud/dirt instead of baking them into the pads and making them all squeaky...

Last edited by turboale; 05-26-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

It's cool, to each his own. I agree about people making their cars fast and not upgrading the brakes - not smart. I also think that is a good point you made about all the heavy stuff we add on to our rigs, and how flexy we make them. Lucky for us the stock system in the 4Runner actually stops the vehicle in a very respectable distance from 60 and 70 MPH. So at least we have that going for us.

Quick Reply: Best brake pads for da runner??