Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Battery warmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery warmer

I just installed one today on my 4runner to be ready for the winter (>-20C). Can somebody tell me if this is a fire hazard since you pack the battery with it and requires 120 current to work?

It is easy to install/remove so im just asking for any opinion before i actually plug it in the near future.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Billf6531

No more a hazard than the electric blanket on your bed. Any serious short would trip the breaker or burn out the heating element wiring.

Many years ago I had a battery warmer that was similar to a hot plate. It fit in the bottom of the battery tray / box, and battery sat on it. It worked great on a number of cars I had, but I foolishly forgot to remove it when I sold the last car, so I'm SOL. I had it on various vehicles for 20+ years, and never had a problem.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:15 PM

thanks! i think this is one of the good upgrades for the winter season. I got it for $40. Motomaster brand.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:25 PM

it is a must for us up here in Alaska . we have both the blanket wrap around your battery or a rubber heat pad sits under the battery ..i like the blanket myself ..if you have a maintaince battery check water levels more frequently it tends to vaporate quicker .. no worries in sealed ones or gell type batteries . we also use the rubber electric pad heaters on our transmissions ,block heaters and one of my favorites is a circulation type water heater . when it warms up your thermostat it flows warm coolant through the engine block all night and when you start the truck in the cold AM you have hot air already .

some folk even use the pad heaters glued to the diffs and t-cases .. i have had my diffs freeze solid before i switched to full synthetic gear oil . alot of times my front axle would freeze up hard and only way to move was to lock the hubs and break it free . Fairbanks winters are no joke .

i have ripped the handle right off my truck in -55 the moisture in the truck froze the door closed . i puled hard on the plastic handle and it came off in my hand !
Old 11-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Billf6531

After reading this, I must remember not to complain about Alberta Winters.

Originally Posted by Fix_It
.. i have had my diffs freeze solid before i switched to full synthetic gear oil . alot of times my front axle would freeze up hard and only way to move was to lock the hubs and break it free . Fairbanks winters are no joke .

i have ripped the handle right off my truck in -55 the moisture in the truck froze the door closed . i puled hard on the plastic handle and it came off in my hand !
Old 11-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fix_It
it is a must for us up here in Alaska . we have both the blanket wrap around your battery or a rubber heat pad sits under the battery ..i like the blanket myself ..if you have a maintaince battery check water levels more frequently it tends to vaporate quicker .. no worries in sealed ones or gell type batteries . we also use the rubber electric pad heaters on our transmissions ,block heaters and one of my favorites is a circulation type water heater . when it warms up your thermostat it flows warm coolant through the engine block all night and when you start the truck in the cold AM you have hot air already .

some folk even use the pad heaters glued to the diffs and t-cases .. i have had my diffs freeze solid before i switched to full synthetic gear oil . alot of times my front axle would freeze up hard and only way to move was to lock the hubs and break it free . Fairbanks winters are no joke .

i ripped my passenger door handle too last year when i cannot open the driverside door!

Even my keyless entry would sometimes not work when its just too cold!

There is a saying here in Manitoba - "There are 3W's that you should not trust... Work, Woman, and Weather
Old 11-13-2005, 01:52 PM

I have a "battery blanket" One of those ones that you wrap around the battery and plug in, works flawlessly I love it.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

you guys out west have some terrific scenery all year round. its just too cold during the winter for an old guy like me! ill stay here and deal with the occasional -30->-40 temps.

lee
Old 11-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

what exactly does this battery warmer do?

would it help get the heat hotter and quicker? im in no way complaining about our winters, we barely get in the 20's. but after crawling out of bed to go to school, it sure is a bummer to leave the warm bed and get into a cold truck. if this battery heater reduced the time it took for the heat blowing in the cab, ill be all over it.

and yes i know that the heat the comes out is mainly a run off of engine heat...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by northfacer581
what exactly does this battery warmer do?

would it help get the heat hotter and quicker? im in no way complaining about our winters, we barely get in the 20's. but after crawling out of bed to go to school, it sure is a bummer to leave the warm bed and get into a cold truck. if this battery heater reduced the time it took for the heat blowing in the cab, ill be all over it.

and yes i know that the heat the comes out is mainly a run off of engine heat...
for that i would go with a remote starter....Im not saying it gets cold in VA...but i just like to be pampered LOL
Old 11-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

yea i had that in the old 4runner, sure was nice. pep boys has a kit for 30 bucks. but that 4runner was auto, this being a 5speed changes up things a bit.

im taking it that this battery warmer does not help in what we desire in our pampering?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by northfacer581
yea i had that in the old 4runner, sure was nice. pep boys has a kit for 30 bucks. but that 4runner was auto, this being a 5speed changes up things a bit.

im taking it that this battery warmer does not help in what we desire in our pampering?
no, it just helps it from freezing. Ive actually had my battery freeze, i didnt drive it for a couple of weeks in the winter and it froze...LOL Even though your rig is 5spd..u can still get a remote start for it, most shops wont do the install though. You could always do it yourself or find a place that does it. I love my remote start! Sorry for the HIJACK guys
Old 11-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

i know i can do it, i helped my friend do it in his 05 tiburon gt v6 <-nice car. i did all the work last time when i put that remote start in ...sure was a pita getting to all those wires.