Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Any Surfers out there??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Surfers out there??

Hi,

I need something better to haul my boards to the beach on my 01 4runner, I use the OEM roofrack w/nylon straps and I covered the bars with pipe insulation (foam) and wire ties. My boards are 6'7" to 9'6" and I always take two...

Maybe something like this:
http://www.ridershack.com/fcshardrac...Path=82_92_183

Show me what you use and how you like it...

Thanks
Doug
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just use the stock rack and tie downs.
i have strapped 4 boards up there for a baja trip.
i can put my 9'6" inside, removing the pass. headrests and still have the back window up.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If your boards can't fit in the back, then you shouldn't surf... hahaha. Just kidding.
Longboarders are okay.

The best thing is to get some hard racks from Yakima or Thule. Go to REI or something similar, you buy the bars, then the mounts that go to the factory rack rails. Just get some pipe insulation, or better yet, lots of surfshops sell it with the "wrap" around it.

Then you have 2 options from there.

1) You can just buy some cheap cinch-straps. (This is what I do for when I stick my boards up on top for trips).

2) Get some of those special ratcheting straps that Yakima makes. They are pricey but really durable and easy to use.

Don't use the ratcheting tie-downs on the hard racks though. You'll keep just wating to do "one more ratchet".. .next think you know you've got a nice ding in the rail. (These are the ones you can buy from a hardware store for cargo). Ive used them too, but, they are much too funky and annoying anyways. Id stay with the cinch straps.

I've never tried to stick a longboard in my truck, but, I've put ladders in before. Put down the back seats, put the lonboard through the back of the front seats and put your back window down. then just use a bungee cord and cinch it down with the little hooks in the rear cargo area so it doesn't bounce around.

This is my setup. I love it, but, the longest board I can fit in there is a 6'3". hah...

Last edited by BajaRunner; 07-19-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
... just use a bungee cord and cinch it down with the little hooks in the rear cargo area so it doesn't bounce around.
yeah if its more than a few miles i can bungee the board to the seat belts to keep it from moving around. it rests on both pass. seats.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 PM
XSP

I made my own rack, but then again I drive a 4dr sedan!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 PM

I use an older version of the Thule surfboard rack and modified it to fit to the standard roof rack. Here is a newer version that seem to fit the standard rack right away:
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-554xt.html
here is another option from thule
http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____31434.aspx

Last edited by Roadtripr; 07-20-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:11 PM

you could do a yakima landing pads, control towers and crossbars and use yakima strap thangs to secure it. I just use some 12' nrs straps the I bought for my kayak, they have padded buckles so they wont crack the fiberglass.

Personally though I just put mine inside with me. I take the passenger head rest out along with the rear head rest out and I can fit my 9'8" straight in across the tops of the seats.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

I'm still not sure how I get my 9'0" Becker from Bullhead City to O-side in the bed of my DC Tacoma... But somehow, I do...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 AM

Hey, thanks for the replies, well maybe not the longboard one...LOL-I know ur just kidding. I'm 6'3'/230lbs and @ 54years old I need all the help I can get but I'm still out there. I've been rideing an 8" pop-out but just picked up this 9'6" Hobie and since it's a nice board I want something better to cart it around.

Those racks Roadtripr put a link up for are really nice. A guy parked behind us yesterday and was using them so I checked them out. Low tide is in two hours, gotta go...Keep-On!!!

Doug
Old 07-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

I've grown up surfing, my entire family surfs and am a 3rd generation surfer. I never dislike anyone just because of their board. It seems that the punks that are now all "hardcore" think its cool to dislike longboards. They forget about their roots and now think contests are the only reason to surf. Its sad.

Well, hope you get good results from your choice!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:45 AM

Longboarder's unite!

My shortest board is a 9'6' So I had the same issues, I feel that the boards are a big investment and watching them fly on the freeway is the worst feeling in the world (wonder how I know that?).

I use yakima Q-Towers, with a longboard you need to tie it down up front to where the wind is going to try and make a wing of out it. I have the factory rack, but with my 11' it would stick back 4'-5' over the rear hatch, so a hard-mount front rack was worth the investment.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM

I use the stock racks with motorcycle tie downs and have never had a problem. I put a towel on the racks before I put the boards on to keep the wax off the racks. I ride what ever the surf calls for. I have a 6-6, a 7-6 Fun shape and a 9-6 Longboard. If you do not have passengers in the back, I fold the seats down and let the boards hang out the back. Never had a problem.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by li_runner
Longboarder's unite!

My shortest board is a 9'6' So I had the same issues, I feel that the boards are a big investment and watching them fly on the freeway is the worst feeling in the world (wonder how I know that?).

I use yakima Q-Towers, with a longboard you need to tie it down up front to where the wind is going to try and make a wing of out it. I have the factory rack, but with my 11' it would stick back 4'-5' over the rear hatch, so a hard-mount front rack was worth the investment.
11' HOLY CRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to register that thing for two states or what? hehe.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
11' HOLY CRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to register that thing for two states or what? hehe.
No way, man... Those puppies are for when you wanna surf with 6 of your closest friends. And I mean surf WITH them!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM

Well here in NY big surf is hard to come by. So when a buddy comes along and wants to learn the ol' canoe (11') is great to have. Easy to ride and next to no wave needed.

I got it after having a great time on the party wave at Waikiki Beach on Oahu. Man I wish I was there for Aloha Sunday.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by li_runner
Well here in NY big surf is hard to come by. So when a buddy comes along and wants to learn the ol' canoe (11') is great to have. Easy to ride and next to no wave needed.

I got it after having a great time on the party wave at Waikiki Beach on Oahu. Man I wish I was there for Aloha Sunday.
I know what you mean. The first board I ever surfed on was a 11' Hobie. That thing weighed a ton, and you had to jump off and push it over to turn it...

I ride a 9'0" Becker Mike Gee model anymore, just since it's so long for me in between surfs that it's nice just to be able to paddle out and catch stuff and just have fun. I have a custom 7'0" that a friend gave to me, but I just don't get out enough to really enjoy it. Anyway, it's all just surfing. I once heard a old ASP tour veteran say, "The best surfer is the one out there having the most fun."

I like that...

Last edited by Tacoclimber; 07-25-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:23 AM

I just picked a 10' takayama double ender the other day and it fits inside with the window up as well...I jsut angle it over to the rear drivers side corner. It sure is a sweet riding board too!!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Damn you guys are crazy!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:53 AM

Li runner,

I grew up on the south shore of LI, Gilgo Beach had a nice break at low tide. I had a very used 10' Hobie in those days, it should have come with wheels to get it to the beach and a 20hp Merc to get it going. Sept and early Oct was the time to catch some decent waves.

This 9-6 Hobie I have now is not any to big for me, I still need to work plenty hard to catch the so-so waves. I'm in the process of cleaning up my life a little, loosing weight, working out & etc., when I get down to 215 and in shape this board should be perfect.

The 3rd week of August I'm headed down to the outerbanks, anyone surf there and want to share some local info...

Thanks
Doug

Last edited by Doug S; 07-27-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

I use this Thule one
http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____31439.aspx

Two 9'2"