Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Annoying squeek/rattle from rear

Old 12-25-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying squeek/rattle from rear

Please help, it's driving me crazy! I just purchased a 2001 4Runner, and when i go over speed bumps or any kind of dips, I hear a plastic on plastic (I think) rub from the rear. I have tried everything to fix it and searched nine pages of this forum. I took it off road this morning, and when it rocked side to side, I had the same noise. It happens only at low speeds and it is definitely coming from inside the truck. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

loose interior body panel? loose cargo box area cover? loose body mount?

those last two have been sources of squeaks for me in the past. easy fixes. poke around there, shake the truck try to reporoduce the sound. you'll find it.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:55 PM

An interior rattle... good luck. As a techncian this is our tried and proven method to fixing squeeks (outside of the other tech upside down under a dash while your driving at like 70 mph... LMAO). Anyhow try and isolate the area in the rear of veh where the noise is coming from. Then just simply start removing parts and test drive... I know it sounds like a lot of work (hence why we hate rattles), but it does work
Old 12-25-2005, 07:01 PM

Do you have leather seats? This was my problem, they were rubbing together in the middle. It took me about 6 months to figure it out!
Old 12-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blown4runner96
An interior rattle... good luck. As a techncian this is our tried and proven method to fixing squeeks (outside of the other tech upside down under a dash while your driving at like 70 mph... LMAO). Anyhow try and isolate the area in the rear of veh where the noise is coming from. Then just simply start removing parts and test drive... I know it sounds like a lot of work (hence why we hate rattles), but it does work

so i shouldn't go to a tech and say "i've got 47 rattles, coming from all over the place, i need you to take care of them. so, um...be back in an hour to pick it up?"
Old 12-25-2005, 07:15 PM

or better yet just wait for it.... those are the ones that just kill us. Rattles are woman, you've gotta spend a lot of time with them and ya still may not get lucky... LMAO (and this coming from a straight woman)
Old 12-25-2005, 07:16 PM

I thought about the leather seats, so I put down one side and it didn't go away. I crawled in the back with my girlfriend driving, and of course, it didn't make the same sounds that I hear when I am driving. Yesterday it was doing it when I was backing out of my driveway and hitting the downward slope connecting the driveway to the road. I pulled forward three times trying to figure out where it was coming from, but I could not locate. Of course no one was around to drive so that I could get in the back. I will continue to search and keep everyone up to date on what I find.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blown4runner96
Rattles are woman, you've gotta spend a lot of time with them and ya still may not get lucky...
haha
truer words have never been spoken. brilliance.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dgfaircloth
I thought about the leather seats, so I put down one side and it didn't go away. I crawled in the back with my girlfriend driving, and of course, it didn't make the same sounds that I hear when I am driving. Yesterday it was doing it when I was backing out of my driveway and hitting the downward slope connecting the driveway to the road. I pulled forward three times trying to figure out where it was coming from, but I could not locate. Of course no one was around to drive so that I could get in the back. I will continue to search and keep everyone up to date on what I find.
If you figure it out, let me know. I have a very similar noise coming from the rear of the truck. It seems to happen at low speeds only in the morning. I notice it most going downhill.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 PM

The rear pass. side seat seems to be rattling on mine. I think it's at the latch.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:36 AM

I found ONE of the rattles in my '99 LTD was from the cargo cover. When open, the edge bounces on the two end pieces. There are rubber pieces there to stop this, but they don't work very well.
Check if your noise is still there when the cover is extended out.
Good luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:12 AM

My truck dosen't have a cargo cover. I wish it did. It dosen't even have a place for one. I'm pretty sure it's my pass. rear seat back ratteling. When I put it down...no more rattle!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fr8hauler
I found ONE of the rattles in my '99 LTD was from the cargo cover. When open, the edge bounces on the two end pieces. There are rubber pieces there to stop this, but they don't work very well.
Check if your noise is still there when the cover is extended out.
Good luck.
that was my suggestion.
Also make sure the extra cargo door is shut all the way.

Is your back window all the way up?
tools and jack secure under the seat?
anything in the rear ashtray or map pockets??
spare tire all the way up?
plastic trim around the edge of the carpet (sill) loose?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kev93p-up
My truck dosen't have a cargo cover. I wish it did. It dosen't even have a place for one. I'm pretty sure it's my pass. rear seat back ratteling. When I put it down...no more rattle!
make sure the seats are fully locked into place. You can fold them up and lock the seat in, but the back can still be loose.