Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ac compressor issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac compressor issues

ever since screwing around at the mud flats at a local lake/garbage can about 8 months ago i've had a really bad noise from under the hood that i couldn't pinpoint.

after procrastinating for a really long time and everyone asking me what hell that noise is i finally tried figuring out what it might be. if i remove the ac belt the noise is gone. i removed the tensioner pulley and it was muddy but the sealed bearing in that pulley seemed fine.

the pulley on the ac compressor is pretty loose though. the clutch doesn't move around the same way so the compressor itself should be fine. i'm trying to figure out if i can fix this without removing the compressor. the ac works fine and the pulley still turns the comprssor, it just seems to have too much play in it and makes a sick noise.

what is supposed to hold that pulley tight? can i remove the clutch without removing the compressor?

the noise is so bad that some other toyota guy at a gas station actually asked me if there was something wrong with my supercharger. i told him that i don't have one and i don't know what the noise is and his jaw dropped.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The clutch assy (yes, the AC clutch assy) has a bearing in it. Those bearings, like any bearings, are prone to failure when exposed to mud. I would say a combo of age and mud/water have done your AC clutch in. its possible to get a new clutch assy, but its easier to just replace the compressor assy. Or just take off the belt and forget about the AC.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM

can i get the clutch off without removing the compressor?

i want to try and avoid removing the compressor because i will have to get it recharged.

is the pulley part of the clutch assembly or is it a separate part?

Last edited by steve604; 05-26-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 AM

AC noises

Did you get it figured out?
Reason I ask is b/c I have a 96 4Runner with the 3.4 and if I have the AC on while driving I'm fine, no noise at all. BUT, if I am stopped for any length of time it will start to moan and become quite loud. I had this happen while driving through Mt. Airy, NC in town and I stopped and one of the AC lines was vibrating. I can't remember which one but this ONLY happens when I stop or am rolling in rush hour at a snails pace. AC blows plenty cold, recent recharge and new evaporator so I'm clueless. The AC compressor and clutch don't make any noises either.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM

i haven't figured anything out with it yet. no one seems to know if it's possible to remove the ac clutch assembly without removing the compressor. it's on my list of things to do sometime soon.

i did call the dealer to find out how much for a clutch and found that they actually sell a bunch of the pieces to the clutch separately. once i get it apart i'll just pick up the parts needed.

i am pretty sure it's just a bearing for the pulley that is shot because the pulley is so loose so i probably will just press out the bad bearing and put in a new one.

i bought a truck with a/c so i'll just keep the a/c working otherwise i would have bought a jeep

Last edited by steve604; 07-23-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 AM

Cool, hope you get it worked out. I may have to start my own thread with my issues.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Yes, its possible to remove the clutch with the compressor still bolted to the truck. You will need a set of snap ring pliers, and a 10mm socket.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:36 PM

thanks man

after i finish replacing my clutch tomorrow i might tackle the a/c clutch if i have the energy.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM

lt's near impossible to get the clutch off the AC compressor while the compressor is mounted to the truck. The problem is that the snap ring that retains the clutch is deeply recessed in the clutch. Even after you take off the front plate, the snap ring is too deep to remove. You can see it with a mirror. You might even be able to touch it with the properly shaped snap ring pliers, but you can't do both.

If the radiator and condenser are removed, you will have a straight in shot. But to remove the condenser you have to remove the refrigerant. So, unless you need to take the radiator and condenser out anyway, you are better off just removing the compressor. Then you can easily get to the snap ring to remove the clutch.

Repair shops will quote you the total cost of a compressor replacement to fix a clutch problem. They know the compressor needs to come out to replace the clutch. If the clutch is worn out, mostly likely the compressor is too. And, considering the amount of labor it takes to remove and replace a compressor, putting in a new one makes more sense. A new or rebuilt compressor/clutch package is only about a $100 more than a complete clutch assembly. Check Ebay for the best prices.

Last edited by gmharris; 05-20-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gmharris
lIt's near impossible to get the clutch off the AC compressor while the compressor is mounted to the truck. The problem is that the snap ring that retains the clutch is deeply recessed in the clutch. Even after you take off the front plate, the snap ring is too deep to remove. You can see it with a mirror. You might even be able to touch it with the properly shaped snap ring pliers, but you can't do both.

If the radiator and condenser are removed, you will have a straight in shot. But to remove the condenser you have to remove the refrigerant. So, unless you need to take the radiator and condenser out anyway, you are better off just removing the compressor. Then you can easily get to the snap ring to remove the clutch.

Repair shops will quote you the total cost of a compressor replacement to fix a clutch problem. They know the compressor needs to come out to replace the clutch. If the clutch is worn out, mostly likey the compressor is too. And, considering the amount of labor it takes to remove and replace a compressor, putting in a new one makes more sense. A new or rebuilt compressor/clutch package is only about a $100 more than a complete clutch assembly. Check Ebay for the best prices.
I've replaced the a/c clutch a couple times in car. NOT FUN. But is doable if you're mechanically capable.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Holy thread resurrection, Batman.