Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

99-02 4runner fog light pre-wiring

Old 12-21-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99-02 4runner fog light pre-wiring

I have confirmed that my 2000 SR5 4Runner is pre-wired for foglights from the factory, just as you guys said it would be. There are individual plugs that would plug into the fog lights in the front valence. So where does the wiring terminate (under the dash, I hope)? Is there a factory relay already in place or will I need to add my own? I'm hoping I can add the lights and a switch and be done with it. Rarely does it work out that way.

Thanks for the help,
Ken
Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paddlenbike
I'm hoping I can add the lights and a switch and be done with it. Rarely does it work out that way. Ken
You can just add the lights and switch. PP has a set of these for about $150, including the factory switch. The lights are made by Hella. I have them and I really like that I have lights instead of black plastic pieces where the fogs should be.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
If your planning to install the Hella Micro DE's (which are the OEM lights), you can find the kits via internet searches. They include the lamps, brackets, rocker switch, relay, wire and splices. I had to remove the lower cover on the steering column to wire mine up. The instructions that came with my kit were very good and the install took me about 2 hours including the procedure to adjust the lights' aim. I also replaced the standard H3 bulbs with H3 Hella Yellowstars which has added better contrast.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM

I haven't decided if I will go with the Micro DEs or a custom installation. I am leaning towards an amber projector as my area is foggy often...I can handle the bracket fabrication.

So there should be a loose plug under the dash to plug into a switch?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:22 AM

In addition, you can also buy an integrated switch directly from Toyota. It replaces your current headlight/high-low beams one. The only difference is that it has fog light switch and no wiring is required. Just replace the switch, install fog lights and you're done.

-- Andrey
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do have a killer set on sale right now, and no wiring is needed to run through the firewall. It's has a cool remote setup if you want to use it that way.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 AM

Jason,
I will have to consider those. Do you have the option of a non-wireless model? I have no need for the keychain transmitters.

Andrey, would you mind if I asked how much this stalk costs? My truck is stock and all three of the switch cutouts are taken (from L to R - OEM alarm, clutch start cancel, rear diff lock)...a new stalk would solve that problem.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason,
I will have to consider those. Do you have the option of a non-wireless model? I have no need for the keychain transmitters.

Andrey, would you mind if I asked how much this stalk costs? My truck is stock and all three of the switch cutouts are taken (from L to R - OEM alarm, clutch start cancel, rear diff lock)...a new stalk would solve that problem.
Well, then it would be like any other kit, that you would wire, etc... But you can do it that way I'm sure... I think that stalk is around $60?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 AM

I honestly cant' remember, sorry. You can call the dealer and ask them for 99-02 stalk from 4Runner Limited.

-- Andrey
Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B
Well, then it would be like any other kit, that you would wire, etc... But you can do it that way I'm sure... I think that stalk is around $60?
I don't mind doing the wiring myself, but I would like to use the existing fog light wiring harness if possible. I still haven't found an unused fog light harness plug under the dash or around the steering column/stalk where I would expect to find one. In addition, I haven't been able to trace the wiring harness to determine if a relay is already in place.

I am doing a ton of wiring stuff right now. Fused distribution block for an amp and inverter, fog lights, rock lights, backup lights (on-off-reverse), LED footwell and doorlights, DRL disable switch, CB wiring...I'm trying to do it all at once.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:29 PM

If you look under the hood at the fuse panel you will see that the relay is not installed where is says fog lights. I assume that you need to install the correct relay there
Old 12-23-2005, 07:47 PM

^^^
You are right, thanks for pointing that out. I found some inexpensive amber projectors that I will likely use in the factory cutouts. I think I can complete this for less than $60, including the cost of the projectors, a relay and an OEM looking switch (cole hersee).

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:00 PM

Where did you get your relay?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

as another person said, to get to the wiring (to use a switch that goes in a knockout, not the new turn stalk) you have to take the steering column plastic cover off, to get that off, you have to take the kickboard off. After that its just plugging a fuse and relay in (and of course wiring the lights up )
Old 01-19-2006, 05:45 PM

I got the kit from PP and you have to splice into a wire under the steering column for power. The kit I got came with the relay, brackets, lights, factory switch and all wiring. Only problem for me was that on my base model the plugs were there on the front of the truck, but that was it. When I tried to splice into the wire the directions said to I realized that my base model didn't even have the wire, so the plugs up front are no guaruntee that the wiring is all present. It should be on the SR5 though.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 PM

I'm trying to find a cheap relay since I'm not buying a kit, I'm trying to make the ES300 fog lights work. So I'm having to piece together a kit.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
as another person said, to get to the wiring (to use a switch that goes in a knockout, not the new turn stalk) you have to take the steering column plastic cover off, to get that off, you have to take the kickboard off. After that its just plugging a fuse and relay in (and of course wiring the lights up )
ah ha! That's what I've been wanting to know--I couldn't find an empty harness under the dash and now I know why. Thanks!

Relays are cheap...$4-12. I was at PepBoys tonight and saw Pilot made two different universal wiring kits. One had a remote control relay and a keychain controller and the other had everything (wiring, relay, PIAA-style compact dash switch) minus the lights for $19.99.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a install manual which should work for your 4runner, it tells you where the wires under the dash are.

Last edited by dibble9012; 12-25-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:40 PM

Hey, that's great; thank you very much! Did you find that somewhere or scan it from the install kit you bought?

Ken
Old 02-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

I just found it somewhere, don't remember where though, lol, I also have a lot of other wiring diagrams for the 4runner that I found online

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99-02 4runner fog light pre-wiring