Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 4runner

Old 07-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 97 4runner power windows

Hello fellow 4r enthusiasts! I had purchased my beautiful 4runner from a third party because im a broke college student . Back to the car... My 4runner has a functioning back window (center console switch does not work, key only) but none of the windows go down or up (duh). I will do anything to make these windows work, except pay someone to do the labor. Im beginning my journey into the automotive field and would like to personally repair my bb. i should also note that the car door has been replace with another door from another 4runner. I will post pics and updates beginning tomorrow. thank you guys ...

Last edited by 4runningg; 07-03-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: title was vague
Old 07-04-2019, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
If you'd said all but the driver's window I'd have said check the window lock button on the driver's door. It'll be interesting to see what you find.

Also, welcome to Yotatech.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
If you'd said all but the driver's window I'd have said check the window lock button on the driver's door. It'll be interesting to see what you find.

Also, welcome to Yotatech.
Hahah i appreciate the welcome yes the only problem is my driver side switch does not work at all! and its hot as hell over here in cali, especially when your window doesnt go down ....
Old 07-04-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
It sounds like you have either a bad window switch, several bad window switches, or a bad door sensor.

The write-up for taking the doors off points out that once you disconnect the plugs going to the front doors you loose the function of the rear window. With that in mind, I would say check the front door switches and try to run a jumper wire to close them.

Also so if you can take the window switch plate off and post a picture of the plug shapes, I may have a spare set of window switches for you.
The following users liked this post:
4runningg (07-09-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runningg
Hello fellow 4r enthusiasts! I had purchased my beautiful 4runner from a third party because im a broke college student . Back to the car... My 4runner has a functioning back window (center console switch does not work, key only) but none of the windows go down or up (duh). I will do anything to make these windows work, except pay someone to do the labor. Im beginning my journey into the automotive field and would like to personally repair my bb. i should also note that the car door has been replace with another door from another 4runner. I will post pics and updates beginning tomorrow. thank you guys ...
try holding one of the switched and open/close the driver's door (while parked please)
I have seen many times that the wiring harness in the door jamb for the driver's door bends so often that wires start breaking right at the flex in the door jamb.
Sometimes you can find a sweet spot where one window or all of them will work, this doesn't always work, but if it does it will tell you for sure you need to pull the harness out and repair it.
if you do, don't just splice what you have together, that will shorten the wires and leave the splice right where the harness needs to flex.
Make sure to splice about 6 inches of new wire or more across the problem area and inspect the rest of the wires there as well.
Personally I would try the open/close trick then go to the fuses with a test light then get the wiring diagram out and start probing to see how far along the circuit you get power (and ground).
The following users liked this post:
4runningg (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:59 AM

I appreciate your guys patience as I am a student and also work but i took some pictures of the wiring on the door frame and aswell as the left kick plate and The guy who did the wiring did a horrible job and i can see he tried to rewire the connector and wired it incorrectly i will post some pictures down below , cheers guys hope you guys had a good holiday
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM

Noticed a little bit of corrosion ? Could be from prior use thoe.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Let me dig thru my spares to see if I have a matching switch set. Also seeing the pics of your wiring harness... I’d put money on win of the scotch-locks causing a break.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:03 PM

right and i also noticed when i plugged in that blue connector (2nd to last picture), the locks would switch up and down continuously.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

That box looks like the glass breakage sensor that's part of the RS3000 alarm system in my truck....some sort of aftermarket alarm doo-dad?

Looks like the p.o. tried to integrate the newer version 99-02 of window switch with the older truck. It might be easier to find a junkyard window switch out of a 97ish truck than make this one work- or get busy with a wiring schematic?
They are definitely not wired the same.

Last edited by habanero; 07-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 PM

from what im understanding youre saying the switch i have is from a different generation? would the 97 master switch im purchasing connect the same ? Appreciate the help guys.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Same generation, but a newer year...our switches don't have as many features.

Sitting at the orthodontist waiting for my kid right now...snapped a quick pic of the switch in my 96, which should be more like the 97s (don't have a 97 to compare though) with 2 plugs...the 97 switch you are getting should work better with your truck, but I don't know if you'll be able to pirate the door's already pirated wiring harness or plugs with it.

96 4runner master switch, will have to resize later if it's too big

Last edited by habanero; 07-10-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:08 PM

So I managed to find a switch and it could be that the whole entire door is from a newer year and is probably why the p.o. tried to do the electrical so now I’m thinking maybe to replace the wire harness for the door ? Also some quick questions on these cables and maybe if you guys could point me in the right direction? Cheers !

Schematics , I’m not sure what this is for and those 3 cables I’m holding I found disconnected. Not sure where which goes

I see that on the gray insulation the red cable coming out is split into these 2 wires I have no idea what this dummy was doing but he was definitely on a budget..

Search this Thread