Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

95 Automatic Transmission is Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Automatic Transmission is Overheating

Hi. Today I was driving up a long grade in the mountains near Albuquerque, at about 9000 feet, in my 1995 4Runner SR5, and the automatic transmission overheating light came on.

I stopped immediatly, and I there was a burnt smell about the vehicle, not strong. I waited about five minutes, engine off, then continued, the light went off and did not come back on during the remainder of the trip, up to about 10500 feet. It was a moderatly hot day (it can get much hotter).

What could be causing this? Is this something to worry about?

What might be a solution? Change to synthetic AT fluid like Amsoil? A transmission cooler?

The tranmission was fully flushed by American Toyota in Albuquerque several months ago. They may have overfilled it-- the fluid is now so clear that it is hard to get good level reading, but it generally looks on the high side. I also think they did not clean the filter, despite being asked to (wouldn't there have been some indication that the pan had been removed?).

Interesting aside-- American Toyota in Albquerque will do a transmission flush, but is not equipped to refill will synthetic AT Fluid-- any alternatives for this job in Albuquerque if I do put in synthetic?

Any insight into this is appreciated!

Harlow Pinson
hpinson@indepthl.com
Old 06-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Mine has done it a few times-last time it got so hot fluid came out from somewhere up on top of the trans. I find now when I climb hills if I shut the o/d off I do not have that problem--I also got a tranny cooler I have yet to install.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:26 PM

Yes, I usually just leave the overdrive on all the time. I'll try turning that off on long grades.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Mine shifts in and out of o/d a lot if I dont--causes lots of heat in the torque converter.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:06 PM
AF1

Mine did that in the past...It was over serviced! I installed a haden tranny cooler and just got back from a 3200 mile trip...did not overheat once...I drove up mountains at 70mph.....Get a cooler......and also if you look on your visor it mentions ATF over heating....says to stop until light goes off...atleast mine does.....While driving with cruise control if I thought my speed was going to drop enough that it would shift out of OD I would cancel and speed up on the gas trying not to shift down...think that might cuase alot of heat going in and out of OD....good luck
Old 06-13-2004, 01:27 PM

When I had the ATF in my Tundra flushed with AMSOIL ATF, I noticed an immediate difference in how it shifted. I recommend it for all automatic transmissions, but on the other hand I hate automatics and eventually traded the Tundra for a 5-speed Tacoma.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Mine done the same thing two weeks ago. It was becouse I was letting it kick in and out of overdrive. When you feel this happening turn the overdrive off and you will not have any more overheating problems. And DON'T play with that OD switch!. Also If you are going slow and you do not have the air flow thru your radiator turn on your AC. If you have AC you have a secondary electric fan that will kick on and will add additional air flow thru your radiator Hence cooling down your antifreeze and trans fluid. I'm looking for a spare Automatic and Trans case for this exact reson. And look below what gears I'm running. I plan to put a scoop on my hood to allow the engine heet to escape. I'm also going to put on an electric fan and eliminate the stock one which robbs your horse power. Good luck and I'm glad to here others have the same problem. Everytime when this happens have your fluid flushed.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 PM

check for blockage in your cooler lines and maybe swap the stock cooler. shouldnt need an extra cooler.