Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

93 sr5 ext cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 sr5 ext cab

I have done a search and haven't really seen what I am after. I own a 93 4x4 ext cab with the dreaded 3.0. I have read all the bad stuff about them but I am still game in working one up. A 3.4 is not an option as getting the engine is a huge expense plus the electricals and such. I think it would be alot easier to do the 3.0 up. My question is if anyone has bored these out or put in larger cam done the heads etc... I have been looking at 40 over pistons along with hoggin the heads out but am at a standstill for parts suppliers for other things. I would like to put in a bigger cam and maybe a free flowing intake but haven't seen much. most of the stuff is for 22r's or 22re's. not looking for 500 horse but a nice 300 with some tree pulling torque would be nice. So far I have found only pistons and some head parts. any suggestions on where to get some quality rebuild performance parts? thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are going to dump a mint into the 3.0 before you get to 300 hp. That is double the stock rating. I think reliability would become an issue. Namely the headbolts.

Getting to a reliable 300 hp is possible with the 3.4 with a S/C and fuel system mods (among other things). This isn't cheap either though.

Try DOA Racing

You can also do an internet search for 3VZE (the engine designation for the 3.0)
Old 01-03-2004, 09:16 AM

The drive will need to beefed up for 300hp. Most older Gen 2 can handle 200 ~ 230 range. Any more HP and univerals, drive lines, clutches (torque converters) and other stuff will start to fail or just brake.

I would suggest checking out the 3.4 again before putting money into the 3.0. If you buy an early 3.4 95-97 there is a good chance you can bolt transmission with out any additional crap.

It's your dollar? Spend it on a 3.0 known for being slow or 3.4 and get a super charger.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by amusement
The drive will need to beefed up for 300hp. Most older Gen 2 can handle 200 ~ 230 range. Any more HP and univerals, drive lines, clutches (torque converters) and other stuff will start to fail or just brake.
I had heard that the driveline for the V6 models was pretty stout. Good for "up to" 300hp. The auto is the same basic tranny as the MK IV Supra auto. V6 diff is 4 Pinion.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:20 PM

92 sr5

I have a 92 sr5 v6 I am kinda in the same boat as you. I dont want or need that much hp, would be nice though! I just want some basic upgrades to the stocker 3.0 thats in my truck. So whats the big downfall of this series of truck? I really like mine although I havent gotten to 4wheel it much yet, but it has taken me in and out of the Idaho backcountry and up to the ski hill regularly since I have gotten it and its doing great. I am interested in finding some things for it like:
intake
exhaust
suspension eventually
skid plates
bumpers
rocksliders
Diff cover
Any suggestions as to what works and where to look will be much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2004, 03:54 PM

Re: 92 sr5

Originally posted by Yotivator
intake
exhaust
suspension eventually
skid plates
bumpers
rocksliders
Diff cover
There's plenty of info in the threads here through a search, but the database is being reconstructed (I've heard).

Intake
You can do a drop in filter, drill the airbox, remove the intake silencer (ISR mod), or go full open element (K&N FIPK). You can take it a step further and go for an overbored throttle body.

Exhaust
Lots of options - look at the tech pages here on YT. I have a SS Borla catback that I like quite a bit. You can also look at headers and a free flow cat.

Suspension
What do you want to do with it? Bigger tires? 33's will fit with a 1" body lift, front wheel well "clearancing" and longer rear shackles. It's cheap too.

Skidplates
Budbuilt makes a high clearance crossmember, front skid and belly pan. Outstanding workmanship!

Bumpers
Plate or tube? Plate style = ARB/TJM, Tube = AOR, Badlands etc.

Sliders
Many, many manufacturers. Stubbs, Demello, AOR, etc.

Diff Cover
What for? It ain't no Chevy Seriously though, the cover isn't removable. If you are thinking you need something for protection, you don't unless you are driving in reverse everwhere. The fron of your truck is IFS and the diff is not where the "cover" can be hit.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Cebby; 01-03-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 PM

WoW yeah that helps a ton man thx alot!
I have some more questions:
What is the ISR Mod that you refered to? What benifits are gained form this? Would u recommend leaving the stock air box and drilling over the stand alone cold air intake style, similar to street cars have for performance upgrade?
Yes I would like bigger tires, I think I could get some 30 x 9.5's on it right now but I am not sure about that? Would 33's severly impact performance on the street as far as handling and acceleration are concerned? Would it impact the gearing of the truck and wear on the bearings more harshly? My friend seems to feel that 33's are too big and a 31 is the max size acceptable for streetability, any thoughts here?
I have found leads for sliders and bumpers, thanx for the tip in the right direction!
As far as the diff cover I really should have said diff guard, bash plate? I have allready hit a few rocks wiith it but nothing to bad yet .
Thanx for your help this forum is really nice to know about. There are sure alot of Toyota people out there, and from most of the vids and pics posted in the forums, most do things I wouldnt even think of doing. Thanx again!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 AM

Here's the tech section for the ISR on a 3.4. It is similar for the 3.0. Tech Section - Performance

If your rig came with 30 x 9.5's, your gearing won't be good for moving to 33's. Not sure what you have though. Check your door jamb for a code that you can cross with a chart to get your gearing. I can't remember where the cart is. I'm sure someone has a link. I run 33's with 4.88's. It isn't too bad.

Open intake vs. ISR/drilled airbox? What type of wheeling do you do? If there are a lot of deep water crossings, then just do the ISR and nothing else. If not a lot of water, drill the box or get the open intake. I run the K&N FIPK which is open. I have a filter wrap that keeps splashes off of my open filter.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:56 PM

Thanx alot. That helps some. I found that at the bottom of the page, from the link you gave me about the 3.4 mod, they say it has some pinging with low octane fuels. Idaho is pretty good in elevation do you think this would cause me any concern? I dont usually run anything other than premium or mid grade 89 at the lowest anyways. I also found this link for a 3.0 mod but in a 4runner would it still work for my truck? Heres the link click here I am definitely considering some Downey headers after reading Chris's write up on the ease of his install, it really didnt sound that bad. My truck currently sits on 15" wheels with 235-75 r15 tires havent looked for the code yet, its darn cold in my garage right now. I will follow up on that one. Anyone out there know the link Mike is refering to about the gearing chart it would be much appreciated. Thanx again for all your advice Mike.
ps: oh yeah I forgot that I do alot of Dusty conditions trails in the summer and it can be rather wet here in the spring, fall and winter, but I did drive a baja bug for 8yrs around here, in Idaho, with an open airfilter element and it never flinched, so I really dont think my Toy would have ahard time with it either but I really dont know.

Last edited by Yotivator; 01-04-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:29 PM

thanks for all the opinions. the 3.4 is kinda out due to finding an affordable donor. I would need most of the wiring hook ups no? plus the ecm. I currently have a 5 speed in it and I have heard it will take 300 hp. I have also heard the front axles being able to take this. but I don't mind if I get beefier axles. What I am looking to do is put 4" pro comp lift in with 3" body lift with some 33's on it. centerforce has a clutch that can deal with any kind of power I put to it. rear axle is strong on these so it is engine mods I have the most trouble with. if someone can kinda walk me through what would be involved with installing a 3.4 I would be happy to try if I can make it affordable. the truck is pretty much disassembled right now. Any comments on the use of pro comp lift? any other good options? has anyone used northwest off road for parts? thanks again all for your input.