Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5vz Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5vz Removal Question

I am preparing to remove my blown 5vz out of my 99 Auto, 4wd 4runner. I am looking through my FSM and it says I also need to remove the transmission. Has anybody replaced thier motor or know if this is necessary? Seems like you could just slide it off the input shaft.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You can just unbolt it from the trans, and leave the trans in place. You will need something like a trans jack to support it in place at the front of the trans however.

BTW since you have an auto, you cannot just slide it off the inplut shaft. You will need to remove the 6 bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate. Otherwise, prepare for a big mess as the torque converter empties itself all over the floor.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
You can just unbolt it from the trans, and leave the trans in place. You will need something like a trans jack to support it in place at the front of the trans however.

BTW since you have an auto, you cannot just slide it off the inplut shaft. You will need to remove the 6 bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate. Otherwise, prepare for a big mess as the torque converter empties itself all over the floor.
That's good news. I read about the TQ convertor bolts and rotating the crankshaft to get access to all 6 bolts. Hopefully the motor isn't siezed up too much to be able to still spin it.

Do you have any other tips for removing the engine? This will be my first time doing it.

Thanks for your help...

Gregg
Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
undo some bolts and plug some wires lol.

Toyota engines are pretty easy to take out, its not as daunting as you may think. No advice really other than if you dont have good memory, label stuff really well.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

You can pull the motor and leave the trans in place but if you have 4WD then you'll need to drop the front diff down to get at the cover plate to access the torque converter bolts. It can also be a major PITA to get at the tranny bolts (esp at the top of the bellhousing). If you only have 2WD then you may find it easier to pull the tranny and engine as a whole.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 AM

Thanks MTL. I changed the clutch on my GF's Tacoma this summer so I know how much of a pain those top bellhousing bolts are. Dropping the front diff is no problem, I had to do it to remove the oil pan before.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if you do have a good memory, take lots of pictures of your engine bay from lots of different angles. Trust me, it will help tremendously during re-assembly!

I would also recommend making tape tags for every hose and electrical connector that you take apart - again, it will help when you are putting it back together.

Good luck on your rebuild or replacement!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by breknraj
Even if you do have a good memory, take lots of pictures of your engine bay from lots of different angles. Trust me, it will help tremendously during re-assembly!

I would also recommend making tape tags for every hose and electrical connector that you take apart - again, it will help when you are putting it back together.

Good luck on your rebuild or replacement!
Yeah - I plan on taking pics and color or number coding alot. Still trying to decide between a rebuilt long block or a used complete motor.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure if you saw my tread over here but if you end up doing a full rebuild then these pics will really come in handy later when you go to do yours. If you want to continue using ever greater amounts of boost on the new motor then I suggest building one, but if you're going to pretty much keep it where it is, then a used motor will probably be the easier choice (since you know it ran already). Either way you definately want to do all the timing belt components, water pump, thermostat and all the oil seals before you install it in your truck.

My rebuild thread:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...&topic=2241.30
Old 12-11-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Not sure if you saw my tread over here but if you end up doing a full rebuild then these pics will really come in handy later when you go to do yours. If you want to continue using ever greater amounts of boost on the new motor then I suggest building one, but if you're going to pretty much keep it where it is, then a used motor will probably be the easier choice (since you know it ran already). Either way you definately want to do all the timing belt components, water pump, thermostat and all the oil seals before you install it in your truck.

My rebuild thread:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...&topic=2241.30

Thanks again - I will have that up on my laptop in my garage as I am working for sure. I am leaning towards a good used motor. I found a local one with 60K out of a 2002 for $1200 or so that I think will work. I am not ready to go back to N/A yet and am not going to turbo a newly remanufactured long block. In a few years when this 2nd motor goes, I will put in the reman, go back to N/A, and call it a day. Just for fun, I got a quote on a fully forged bottom end and remaned assembled long block - $8K - A little more than I want to put into a 10K rig....