Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner console?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4runner console?

Ok guys, I know some of the newer 4Runner's come w/ a different setup on the center consoles than like the 96-98's. I've got 1 from a 98 and it's just got like a lil spot for misc. crap. I thought I saw some1 do an upgrade and get the part from the new 1's that has cup holders or something???? Is this ringing any bells w/ any1? If so, LMK what the part # is plz! Peace, Wes
Old 10-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wslytoy
Ok guys, I know some of the newer 4Runner's come w/ a different setup on the center consoles than like the 96-98's. I've got 1 from a 98 and it's just got like a lil spot for misc. crap. I thought I saw some1 do an upgrade and get the part from the new 1's that has cup holders or something???? Is this ringing any bells w/ any1? If so, LMK what the part # is plz! Peace, Wes
You can thank Bob for this one...I did this mod also, it's great! http://www.4runners.org/articles/cupholder/
You might want to check out a junk yard for the parts from a 99+.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:59 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wslytoy
If this is what your refering to I got the idea from Bob too but I didn't have to do any cutting or anything since I got a console and brake handle from a 99+ model and that added 2 cup holders, I will say I love it and use it all the time now compaired to the ones on my 96 that just always never worked real well and covered the air vents. Some pics I took while do the mod.
http://community.webshots.com/album/142604175ayKttU
Old 10-02-2004, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by WT
If this is what your refering to I got the idea from Bob too but I didn't have to do any cutting or anything since I got a console and brake handle from a 99+ model and that added 2 cup holders, I will say I love it and use it all the time now compaired to the ones on my 96 that just always never worked real well and covered the air vents. Some pics I took while do the mod.

I finally got myself a 99 console and put it in last night. I also got the bracket and E-brake handle so i didn't have to do any cutting or drilling. only about a 30 minute install. Although one thing that i noticed, the bracket i got off of the 99 is totally different than the one i gave you from that 01. at first I thought they sent me the wrong bracket . but then i tried it and it's the right one! it's good to have real cup holders!!

BTW Wes, deffinately ask the yard for the E-brake handle and the bracket for the rear mount. it's much easier, and they'll usually include those for just a little more $$$
Old 10-02-2004, 05:43 PM

console

Originally Posted by gapguy
You can thank Bob for this one...I did this mod also, it's great! http://www.4runners.org/articles/cupholder/
You might want to check out a junk yard for the parts from a 99+.
thanx man! So pretty much, you've gotta get a console from a 99? You can't just retro-fit that cup holder where the tub goes b/c of the shape right? Thanx, Wes
Old 10-02-2004, 05:45 PM

console

Originally Posted by NorCalVP
BTW Wes, deffinately ask the yard for the E-brake handle and the bracket for the rear mount. it's much easier, and they'll usually include those for just a little more $$$
well this is for my Tacoma, so I'll be putting like a peice of aluminum over the e-brake hole! Probably use that spot for extra switches! Peace, Wes
Old 10-02-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

i see that some of you didnt need to cut the shell. i'll add that to my writeup to "test fit" to see if it fits without trimming.

thanks for the feedback!

bob
Old 10-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

I cut mine to "match"...now I have a little gap between it and the carpet. Test fitting IS a good call!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

I updated the writeup. Thanks for all the great feedback.

WT: I hope you don't mind, but I saved two pics from your photos and used them in my writeup's addendum/update section. You got proper credit. If you have any issues with me using your pics, please let me know and then immediately dissasemble your cupholder mod, you ungrateful piece o' .... j/k Seriously, just let me know if its a problem to have used your pics.

Gapguy: dont worry about those gaps, guy. !!! I'm on a roll this morning! those gaps are not going to be noticeable because they are hidden between two seats. Only you will notice, right?

Bob
Old 10-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Gapguy: dont worry about those gaps, guy. !!! I'm on a roll this morning! those gaps are not going to be noticeable because they are hidden between two seats. Only you will notice, right?
Exactly! Besides, I did it almost a year ago anyways!
Old 10-03-2004, 04:09 PM
WT

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Guys,

I updated the writeup. Thanks for all the great feedback.

WT: I hope you don't mind, but I saved two pics from your photos and used them in my writeup's addendum/update section. You got proper credit. If you have any issues with me using your pics, please let me know and then immediately dissasemble your cupholder mod, you ungrateful piece o' .... j/k Seriously, just let me know if its a problem to have used your pics.

Bob
Ahhh go ahead use what you want I got more if you need more or the orginal size ones.. but hey you are the orginator and the rest of us are
Yeah no cutting for me either.. plug and play took longer to re-route my switches for the rear window, ECT and alarm.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:14 AM

Cupholder Modifications

Originally Posted by WT
I appreciate all of the info and pics on this mod, but I have a question or two about the bracket (89180-35010). What year model did this bracket come from? If you try to lookup or order this part number the price is $200-300. Do you use this bracket instead of the silver one? Finally, were there any additional obstacles since you had rear heat and bob did not?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

I'll miss the 5 speed but I won't miss those cup holders but the advantage to the old school ones is that you could keep drinks cooler with the AC.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:06 PM
WT

Originally Posted by MO97Runner
I appreciate all of the info and pics on this mod, but I have a question or two about the bracket (89180-35010). What year model did this bracket come from? If you try to lookup or order this part number the price is $200-300. Do you use this bracket instead of the silver one? Finally, were there any additional obstacles since you had rear heat and bob did not?
Sorry for the delay in reply, but yes I used the newer bracket, I think it was from a 99 but I can't swear to it. I got it from NorCalVP from the forum here when he was parting out a 4Runner, maybe he will chime in on the exact year.
The silver one was the orginal, I had to poke around for more detailed pictures I had on my computer to be sure its been over a year or more since I did it
Not sure why that part number is comming up at that price unless its the part number for the whole console. No obstacles with the heater the console I got had the heater too so it was a plug and play litteraly. Hope that helps some if not drop me a PM or email.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:08 PM

The cup holder i sold WT was from a 2001 4Runner, In 01, they changed to the gold colored bracket. the 99-2000 bracket's look just like the 96-98 ones, just are about 1cm shorter in length. If you find the part number for the silver bracket and look that up, i am sure it won't be nearly as expensive as the 01-02 bracket. or better yet, just get it from the yard. They usually throw them away anyway...

My Console was completely bolt in. I didn't have to cut or trim anything. and i have the rear heater.

Steve
Old 11-04-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalVP
The cup holder i sold WT was from a 2001 4Runner, In 01, they changed to the gold colored bracket. the 99-2000 bracket's look just like the 96-98 ones, just are about 1cm shorter in length. If you find the part number for the silver bracket and look that up, i am sure it won't be nearly as expensive as the 01-02 bracket. or better yet, just get it from the yard. They usually throw them away anyway...

My Console was completely bolt in. I didn't have to cut or trim anything. and i have the rear heater.

Steve
I just about have everything ran down. I guess the system is only plug and play if you have the gold bracket or is it plug and play if you have the 99+ handle and cable bracket with the silver piece. If I can't come up with the gold bracket, I am sure it would be fairly easy to make a bracket to use the factory holes. Thanks for the information!!

Rob
Old 11-11-2004, 06:30 PM

If you do have to drill, it really only adds a couple minutes to the whole ordeal. I did it in the parking lot of Ace hardware. I spent most of my time running back and forth to get the right size bolts.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM

... the system is only plug and play if you have the gold bracket
that's what I'm finding out now...