Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3vze Motor Mount Frustrations!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze Motor Mount Frustrations!!!

OK Guys,

I'm freaking out here. I'm in the middle of a engine replacement on my '91 Runner V6 3VZE. I've been putting all my parts from my old engine onto the new rebuilt engine that I bought used from someone (only 28,000 miles).

Anyway, I'm waiting for a few oil pan parts to be shipped so I thought I'd go on and put the engine mounts back on the block. When I first looked at my block I couldn't figure out which holes to put them in. So I checked out my old block (see picture with big old hole coming out the side) and I figured out that the mount with 4 bolts goes to the left of the A/C bracket with the right two holes going in the left two holes of the a/c bracket (see pic). You can see in pic that it fits on there just fine. Well, when I try to put it in the same place on my new engine. No Fit. I have the two bottom holes, but there are NO TOP HOLES (see second pic). What's the deal. Will I have to get other motor mounts? They guy I bought it from said the motor was made for 89-92 Toyota Runners and P/Us and that if I was using it on a newer engine (93 and on) I would have to do modifications.

Any help would be appreciated. Up until now everything has transferred over without a hitch. This is my first snag so I'm afraid I've gotten the wrong engine, but everything else fits fine.

HERE ARE THE PICS:
http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/oldengineBIG.jpg
http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/newengineBIG.jpg

Steve
glassfishy@gbronline.com

Last edited by glassfishy; 06-25-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:36 PM

Beats the Hell out of me???
I looked at pics I took of my motor last time I had it out and Im stumped. My 90 had the holes up top on both sides.

Id say you will require new motor mounts.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:37 AM

Are you sure that you have the mounts properly positioned, i.e., in relation to their placement on the block or mating end to the block and/or which end is the block mating ???
Sorry if this perhaps sounds like a stupid question, it's just that it's always good to have a reference when doing mechanical work on this level and it looks like you've already got everything apart, and so have no on hand reference for part positioning.
Plus, it does'nt hurt to ask.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by 94x4
Are you sure that you have the mounts properly positioned, i.e., in relation to their placement on the block or mating end to the block and/or which end is the block mating ???
Sorry if this perhaps sounds like a stupid question, it's just that it's always good to have a reference when doing mechanical work on this level and it looks like you've already got everything apart, and so have no on hand reference for part positioning.
Plus, it does'nt hurt to ask.
No, I'm glad you're asking. This is the first time I've ever done this so I thought the same exact thing. I went back to my old engine because that's the one thing I DIDN'T MARK in any way was the motor mounts. I couldn't even have told you which motor mount went to which side. So that's why I originally thought I had just been looking at it incorrectly. On my 91 engine on the passenger side (non oil filter side) the motor mount has 4 holes correct? Well when I placed it on my old engine it fit perfectly. I can even see the 4 shiny holes where the lack of grease showed how it came off. If you're looking at the side of the block (see picture of old engine above) in the bottom right hand of block there are 4 holes (the ones that surround my lovely "little" hole in the block. In that space the A/C Bracket is bolted on. Well the top left hole of that configuration which is actually where the bottom right hole of the motor mount goes behind that a/c bracket. I can tell this because the 4 motor mount bolts–3 of them are shorter and there's one longer one to compensate for the a/c bracket. You can actually see in the NEW ENGINE PIC how I've got the a/c bracket positioned where it's supposed to go. So if I follow the same markings I'm missing (2) holes above the bottom holes where the ones on my old engine were. Trust me I tried to make them work in the current 4 holes and the way the motor mounts are angled they just won't work.

So I did some searching online trying to see if I could find pictures of 3vze engine sides and I found some rebuilt engine sites that had what's called a 6 hole passenger side motor mount and a 4 hole passenger side motor mount. Both for the 3vze V6 engine and for mostly the same years.

So I'm hoping one of you guys has run across this also and knows how I can rectify. I contacted the guy I bought it from. He's going to check and see if he still has the motor mounts, but would they still work? Would they mate up with the other half of the motor mounts still attached to frame? God, I hope so. I know it sounds like I'm about to lose it because I am. This is the first inkling of any sort of problem I've had so far and I hope it's not a sign of things to come. I guess I'm just worried that if there is a different type of motor mount for the early 3vze engines and I was to even replace my motor mounts would it still put it in alignment with Transmission?

Steve
glassfishy@gbronline.com
Old 06-26-2005, 07:59 AM

I wouldnt doubt it if toyota changed their motor mount mid-production. They did the same thing in 1989 with the Supra
Old 06-26-2005, 09:12 AM

Maybe this will help...

Name:  100_0478.jpg
Views: 3091
Size:  151.4 KB

Name:  100_0406.jpg
Views: 2811
Size:  109.3 KB

I wil go check the late 80's 3.0 I have on the stand out in the garage later and see if it has the same mounting situation as the block you have.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:25 AM

i just put an 88 3.0 in my 91 runner. I had the same problem. If you don't have the mounts from the new engine then you will have to get the passenger mount that is flat on the bottom, your old one should be curve at the bottom. What I did was take the engine mount apart with the one screw in the center. Take the part with the cushion that bolts to the frame off of your old engine mount and put it on the engine mount that goes with the new one. The new one won't bolt in as high as the old one, it will use the two holes on the a/c compressor mount.Use a long screw for the top, I also had to use the top bolt for my ground strap so check before you bolt it in place. You might not be able to put a bolt in one of the bottom holes of the mount, I can't remember though.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:20 PM

Ganoid,

Thanks for the pics. What you have there is exactly how my old engine looks, but the new one doesn't have those top two bolts for motor mounts.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by hektikwon
i just put an 88 3.0 in my 91 runner. I had the same problem. If you don't have the mounts from the new engine then you will have to get the passenger mount that is flat on the bottom, your old one should be curve at the bottom. What I did was take the engine mount apart with the one screw in the center. Take the part with the cushion that bolts to the frame off of your old engine mount and put it on the engine mount that goes with the new one. The new one won't bolt in as high as the old one, it will use the two holes on the a/c compressor mount.Use a long screw for the top, I also had to use the top bolt for my ground strap so check before you bolt it in place. You might not be able to put a bolt in one of the bottom holes of the mount, I can't remember though.
So if I can get the entire motor mounts from the guy I bought the engine from then I can just replace with no probs? If not it sounds like I'll have to make it work which scares the crap outta me. I just want to make sure the engine goes in at the level it's supposed to be so there are no transmission probs. or worse. Also, The driver's side has three bolts on my old motor mounts, but I can only see 2 holes in engine block. How does this side come into play.

I may be yelling at you some more if I can't figure this out.

Steve

Last edited by glassfishy; 06-26-2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Adding Some Text
Old 06-26-2005, 02:08 PM

yeah. If you look at the mount for the a/c there should be a gap between one of the holes and the engine toward the engine rear, maybe 1 inch. I think the new engine mount goes on 1st, then the a/c mount but you can't put a bolt in the bottom/front engine mount hole do to spacing. Maybe these engines with the lower mounts didn't have a/c?
Either way mine worked and line up in the engine compartment perfectly. The driver side I used the new mounts also, there are 4 holes but my old one had 3.
I just remembered why I used the cushioned part from my old engine mount: the guy just pulled the engine, tranny/transfer out without unbolting the engine so the mounts tore.So you may be able to keep your new mounts together. Like I said though mine lined up perfect and doesn't shake or give me trouble.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:04 AM

Stopped at the Toyota Dealership this morning to see if they could help on this. He said he couldn't tell me if the 2 motor mounts were interchangable, but he did look both years up on parts to see if the bottom part of mounts were the same and he said they had same part no. I guess what I'm concerned about is when I search on net for rebuilt engines trying to find why this block is different I find that they sell a 3vze with a 4 bolt passenger side and a 6 bolt passenger side. The pic the dealership had still only had a 4 bolt on the passenger side.

So here's my question. Does ANYONE have a pic of a motor mount from an 88 3vze engine? If so I'd love to see it. Or if anyone has a parts catalog from that year that could scan the pic of what the mounts look like. I'd like to see how it fits on my new (actually older) block and to see if it's going to work.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Just make some custom ones like this (for a 94):

Old 06-27-2005, 02:18 PM
DMG

It looks like you got probably an early 88 block. You will need early 88 motor mounts. I had this issue in reverse when I put an 89 V6 in to replace my early 88 V6.
You will have to get the early ac compressor mount too. What did the motor come out of?

Last edited by DMG; 06-27-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DMG
It looks like you got probably an early 88 block. You will need early 88 motor mounts. I had this issue in reverse when I put an 89 V6 in to replace my early 88 V6.
You will have to get the early ac compressor mount too. What did the motor come out of?
It came out of an 88 Runnr. The guy I got it from is checking to see if he has the motor mounts. Can I just replace entire set of motor mounts (part that bolts to frame plus part that bolts to engine)? Did you have any heighth problems when you switched? Because it looks like the bolt holes in my new engine are lower than my 91 block so I'm hoping they put the engine at same heighth with just different motor mounts.

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by phorensic
Just make some custom ones like this (for a 94):

Dude,

I wish I had your skills to do that. This is a first transplant for me and I'm doing good putting things back as they came out let alone fabbing some cool metal. I know I'll make it work it's just kinda got me down because everything was going so smoothly.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve
Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 PM

Thanks, but I didn't make them. Tim at DMZfab.com made them for me. Broke both stockies from prerunning desert race courses, so it was a necessity.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:21 PM

Gentleman,

Got my 88 Motor mounts today for my rebuild (see orig. post). I think they'll work just fine. They're more horizontal and the plates match the plates match my old plates. The Drivers side work out just fine. I had to use the holes that my old block had the oil cooler bracket in and the bracket that held the hose for the oil cooler. No problems there.

On the Passenger side the 2 left bolts are no problem. The top right bolt goes behind the A/C bracket and the longer bolt goes in the a/c bracket and then through mounting bracket and into block. Still no problem. The only problem I'm seeing is the bottom right mounting bracket hole sits right behind the a/c bracket with no way to bolt it to engine. Here is a pic of the engine block with a/c bracket attached. You'll notice two orange circles. These are the (2) top mounting bracket holes and the holes right beneath them are the bottom mounting bracket holes. You'll see the one hole is right behind a/c bracket.

http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/newengineBIG.jpg

I've got 2 options and am wondering what you all thought.

1. Get a new A/C bracket. I hate to do that since the one I got works just fine except for this one problem. A/C compressor still mounts on it with no problems. Unless someone has an a/c bracket from an early 88 4Runner.

2. Drill a hole through a/c bracket and get a longer bolt to mount the mounting bracket to it. Would this be as good? As strong? I don't want to comprimise the engine mounts.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

Steve
glassfishy@gbronline.com

Last edited by glassfishy; 07-05-2005 at 07:22 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 03-30-2006, 08:43 PM

motor mount help

Hi Kevin, I am in the middle of an engine swap
on my 91 4runner. Well the new block I have does not have the top motor mount
holes on either side. 1 mount has 2 holes on top and 1 has 1 hole. Is this the
same trouble you had. If so what did you do to fix.
thanks for your help,
Eric
478-230-7456
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Exclamation

OK, this might be a real dead thread, but I have run into the same issue after replacing the block in my 93 4runner. No bolt holes at the top passenger side, I haven't even looked at the drivers side yet. So, what was the solution to this issue? Get a motor mount and A/C bracket from an 88? How can you tell what year a block is? Any help would be great.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Need advice

Hey Yotatechs

Running into the same problem you'll had. I have an 88 3vze long block that I will be dropping in my 94. What is the solution for the passenger side motor mount? Will I encounter any height/level issues that will eventually lead to transmission issues, balance vibrations at high speeds. I plan on swapping over everything from the 94 minus the water pump and idler. I have read that I might need to drill out my distributor pilot hole to 10mm. Any and all input is valued.

Thank you,
AL