Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.4 Turbo Kit

This is gaining more and more traction on the Toyota 4Runner forums, thought i'd see what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Kit-intercooler-Manifold-Downpipe-for-95-04-Tacoma-5VZFE-5VZ-FE-5VZ-Black-/141032267465?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d62d9ec9&vxp=mtr
The more and more I think about this the more I think that it would be possible to run a dual-charged system, 1 supercharger 1 turbo. Think about it, the TRD supercharger puts out roughly 7psi with the stock 2.37" pulley, go to the 2.2" pulley, and that's another 1.5-2psi. Go down again to the 2.1" pulley and you gain another 1-1.5psi over the 2.2" pulley. That's now a max potential of 10.5 psi. The URD 7th injector CAN support that amount of boost.

Running the supercharger on the stock pulley (7psi) and running the turbo kit on low boost (2-3psi) should be enough for the 7th injector kit to support both the turbo and supercharger since the 7th injector adds fuel when you boost more, it should be a linear ratio of boost to fuel.

Add a methanol injection in the mix and i'd say you'd be safe to run a twin-charged setup!

But like most of you, i'd swap out that turbo for something a little better.

Please add your input as i'd like to see what others think. Speedy, TexasAce, looking at you guys!

-Brian
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM

i don't think you will need a SC, since you can turn up the boost on a turbo.

i wonder if i could make it fit on my 2nd gen pu.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
i don't think you will need a SC, since you can turn up the boost on a turbo.

i wonder if i could make it fit on my 2nd gen pu.
The point is it being possible to run low boost on both and be twin-charged just to be unique.

*Should fit your 3.0, I believe the exhaust manifolds bolt up between the 3.0 and 3.4.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Has any one installed one of these??

The seller has quite a bit of bad feed back!!

The pictures of the cooler the welds looked poor.

The idea does have a Merit but I want to see one installed first.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Has any one installed one of these??

The seller has quite a bit of bad feed back!!

The pictures of the cooler the welds looked poor.

The idea does have a Merit but I want to see one installed first.
Thus far no one has. I am not looking to be the giunea pig. I shall wait until someone installs one first.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
The point is it being possible to run low boost on both and be twin-charged just to be unique.

*Should fit your 3.0, I believe the exhaust manifolds bolt up between the 3.0 and 3.4.
I have a 3.4
I want to hear feedback from somebody that has one installed. I didn't see the brand of turbo either.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this on custom tacos, basically gonna say the same thing I said there.

It is china made 100%. So got to keep that in mind, particularly for the turbo. Since it uses a standard T4 flange you can swap out the turbo for a quality unit though.

If it fits as it claims then it is actually a pretty good deal. Not the best design by any means but a lot better then some of the hack jobs I have seen.

For the price you can't really complain.

I would be willing to try it personally if I had the money, with another turbo anyways.

Far as setting it up in a twin charged setup, DON'T. I looking into this very hard a few years ago when I considered it. Ran tons of math and came to the conclusion that it was simply not worth it at all.

The supercharger will end up doing most of the work and it is just not setup for that. It can bearly handle it's work load in normal trim.

You see the pressure ratio adds up in kind of a funky way until you understand it. So a few psi into the supercharger is a whole lot out of it. If you turn the boost on the supercharger down to the point it would be doing a reasonable amount of work it will do so little to help spool the turbo and rob so much power once it is spooled it makes no sense to use it.

Much better off simply getting a properly sized turbo. Should easily be able to spool at 2k if you get the right sized turbo. That is basically where the supercharger comes to life anyways.

I could go into all the math but just trust me, skip the supercharger, it is just not worth it at all.

The turbo that comes with the kit is not a bad sized turbo but not the best. Should spool in the ~3k rpm range depending on it's build quality. It is big enough to more then max out the limits of the transmission and maybe even engine though. Hard to know exact numbers with knock off turbos.

If someone wants to try this be sure to post a thread. Interested in seeing fitment as that is the biggest question I have about it.

I also just want to put this out there again Turbo > Supercharger ALLL day.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 08-28-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM

I checked out their website. Based on the grammar and wording, looks like poorly translated Chinese. Address is in CA though. They sell the kit without the turbo, they also have the exhaust and intercooler only kits available. Garret version of that turbo would probably run $1500 by itself.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by j2the-e
I checked out their website. Based on the grammar and wording, looks like poorly translated Chinese. Address is in CA though. They sell the kit without the turbo, they also have the exhaust and intercooler only kits available. Garret version of that turbo would probably run $1500 by itself.
Never saw that.

This is the way to buy it: http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

Thats a heck of a deal. They sell the intercoooler separate or build your own from a universal kit off ebay (my personal choice).

Get yourself a nice turbo (Screw garret, overpriced and under preforming turbos). PTE makes some nice turbos for a reasonable price or get yourself a nice high end turbo.

I like that the downpipe uses a v-band, thats real nice.

Really gonna have to consider this, it does offer some advantages over my planned setup of mounting the turbo to the header outlet.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering when this topic would pop up over here.

I too am considering buying just the turbo manifold and the downpipe. I'll skip the intercooler, I already have the parts for a meth injection kit and a Garrett T3/T4 turbo sitting at my house. Maybe I can do this in October or November. I just started a new job, and I'm getting married next month = no time to do this Hell, I can't even find the time to install my B&M transmission cooler, or change my timing belt.

My question is, since this was designed for a Taco, will the downpipe work on a 4Runner without conflicting with anything?

Last edited by Robb235; 08-28-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Be sure to post a thread if you get it, very interested in fitment.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Be sure to post a thread if you get it, very interested in fitment.
I will. I remember having a conversation with you a little while back, where I had thought about mounting a turbo to the header outlet (apparently you had that same idea too, lol). Well, I like the idea of a true turbo manifold. I like being able to gravity drain the oil back to the pan, instead of having to use an electric pump (which can fail). However, I'm a little bit suspicious of the build quality of the turbo manifold. Are these things going to crack in a couple months? Years? Who knows...

I've got to get some parts installed before I start ordering new stuff. Timing belt and components, external trans cooler, methanol injection stuff... all needs to get installed before I can justify ordering any more parts, lol.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

There are advantages to both setups. In my case since I have nice headers the flow will be better to the turbo mounting it to the end of that. This should be worth a little power if I can make it work like I planned. Also puts the weight lower.

With a stock manifold this kit is really a no brainier for most if it fits like it should. This will darn sure not flow and worse then the stock manifold and like you said you can gravity drain the turbo.

Build quality is anyone's guess at this point. I have seen stuff out of china that rivals a lot of the "US made" parts (I say that because most US made parts are really just US assembled and actually made in China). I have also seen utter junk.

This doesn't appear to fall into the junk catogiry but how far up the ladder it falls we won't know until someone buys it so we can see fitment ect.

The turbo is complete hit or miss and the intercooler setup is pretty stupid proof, I am referring to the manifolds.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 08-28-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM

I hope somebody shows up that actually has the kit installed. I am collecting parts to do a remote mount with a Holset HY35 9cm, but this is a very interesting kit. My truck is not a DD and sees limited use anyway, so I might be a good candidate to try it. I recall Clownmeat used a chinese turbo too and had good success with it as far as I know.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

China turbos are hit or miss. They either work great or fail very quick.

On a setup I didn't really care about and something I didn't need to be reliable I would not mind running a china turbo (although still think I would get a different sized turbo then what is with the kit as I just like matching the turbo size myself vs trusting someone else).

I will say this though, the turbo with the kit doesn't look that bad, housing look to be higher quality then some china stuff and I like that it has v-band.

The turbo size is not bad either although they don't tell you much about it. Little large for most guys but would work ok. It is a little small for me lol.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been considering ditching the supercharger for a turbo mounted at the header outlet. If this kit had a smaller turbo that spooled at say 2200rpm, and came in at $999. I would buy it today. My engine is still out from the rebuild and I'm ready to go!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by UKrunner
I've been considering ditching the supercharger for a turbo mounted at the header outlet. If this kit had a smaller turbo that spooled at say 2200rpm, and came in at $999. I would buy it today. My engine is still out from the rebuild and I'm ready to go!
LOL if you spend 999 on a complete turbo kit, expect to rebuild the engine again soon, LOL
Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UKrunner
If you get the manifold by itself and then get an ebay turbo you could put together a kit that could do that for slightly more then that.

Personally I would want a better turbo but thats just me.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
LOL if you spend 999 on a complete turbo kit, expect to rebuild the engine again soon, LOL
Nah, the engine should be fine. The turbo on the other hand would be hit or miss for sure.

About the cheapest you will get a quality turbo of any kind would be PTE's entry level stuff. Starts around $650 IIRC. They are cheap but work. Better then china turbos.

The step up to the $800-900 series turbos from them is well worth the money IMO. Much better tech and performance.

This manifold is also unknown how long it will last at this point. Won't know until people try it.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 AM

Anyone else notice the loose exhaust manifold nut in the picture on their website? Did it back out like the old 22re used to do, or was the install unfinished?

Quick Reply: 3.4 Turbo Kit