Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

262 Degree Cams coming soon

Old 01-14-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

(I am not speaking for Weasy)
The news is good so far. They seem to be making lots of easy power. The thing is breathing so much easier than stock cams as the RPMs climb that it's running too lean to drive very hard until he can find time to re-tune his smt6

AFAIK Preliminary numbers, I doubt anyone is gonna get even a broad answer until he gets re-tuned & get's to a dyno, but I will say that even lean & untuned - nice stuff!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 PM

Dyno run will happen either this coming wednsday....or the following tuesday. Time on my part and booking on there part is slowing things down. The truck is a bit tuned and with some more timing advance then allowed before is making this a fun truck to drive I cant wait to get the dyno over with so i can throw on my new s/c belt and see if i can see more boost vs this slipping.

I also got my prototype valve spring in from a supplier....one of 2 suppliers. This one is VERY impressive!! Its a bit shorter then stock but when installed it will be a bit stiffer, perfect for the higher rpm

A set is estimate to retail around $285 for this type so far....im working on getting something better and more cost effective vs this type, but its moving along!! I am also on the road to getting Piston/Ring sets and Rods for the 5vz.... Everything needed will be released during the 2006 year

Last edited by Weasy2k; 01-14-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:16 AM

Sweet. This could be a very worth while upgrade if the price and power output is right.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Weasy2k
Dyno run will happen either this coming wednsday....or the following tuesday. Time on my part and booking on there part is slowing things down. The truck is a bit tuned and with some more timing advance then allowed before is making this a fun truck to drive I cant wait to get the dyno over with so i can throw on my new s/c belt and see if i can see more boost vs this slipping.

I also got my prototype valve spring in from a supplier....one of 2 suppliers. This one is VERY impressive!! Its a bit shorter then stock but when installed it will be a bit stiffer, perfect for the higher rpm

A set is estimate to retail around $285 for this type so far....im working on getting something better and more cost effective vs this type, but its moving along!! I am also on the road to getting Piston/Ring sets and Rods for the 5vz.... Everything needed will be released during the 2006 year
so the 24th is the dyno run or did you go yesterday?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:15 AM

Next week Trying for tuesday or thursday....lets see what they can get me (man are they packed)

Notice to guys looking for the 3vz-e cams, my test 4runner ÅÅÅÅ itself (headgasket) so that is now on the backburner....
Old 01-21-2006, 07:12 AM

...Notice to guys looking for the 3vz-e cams, my test 4runner ÅÅÅÅ itself (headgasket) so that is now on the backburner....
Why is it going on the back burner? Now you can yank the heads off and do before and after flow testing to see if a port/polish would really help. The flow test would also tell ya if more cam duration or more lift or both would be benificial. I could also show you the difference 1mm oversized valves would make.

That and with the talk of MLS gaskets for the 3.0....there is hope for the 3.slo yet!

I dont mean to be spending your money for you, lol but ya know what i mean..

Im curious how much would it cost to take a truck like mine to a dyno typically?

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-21-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:28 AM

Well its mostly because i wanted to get a dyno run of before and after but if i put those cams on wont have a after dyno, and i am SURE people will argue if i use other peoples stock dynographs against my cam one eventho the gains will be fairly different. I may jsut do it this way and people who ant back to back dynos can hear from the people who are goign to buy these cams and talk about them, customer feedback is really importent to me.

The second issue is that the engine siezed when the HG went and also ran without coolent (thanks dad ) after getting it towed here I cranked it over and it spun so im unsure of why it didnt turn over when i went to see it. If there is no damages to the engine itself and the HG's can be replaced and be done with it then I will be putting my cams in regardless, time here is very limited nowadays

I want to provide products for the 3.0L guys and during this tear down and rebuild i will be looking at things to make/put together which will not break the bank as many other companys like to do

I will also like to say that this truck will be fitted with the SMT6 as well and going to tune the engine a bit on the dyno to help squeeze more power out of it
Old 01-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Im curious how much would it cost to take a truck like mine to a dyno typically?
One shop around these parts has a base price of $145 which will get you a max of 6 runs with the intent of getting a baseline graph. If you're there to spend time tuning, then it's $60/hour past that.

They also run club pricing for 5 or more vehicles where they charge $80 each. This is basically just one run, though when I did this with a group a guys a couple of years ago, they let us do 2-3 each.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:48 PM

Yea thats about the going rate....i get special pricing at this shop becuase i go there frequently and have an agreement with them
Old 01-21-2006, 07:51 PM

What kind of price are we looking at for a set of these cams
Old 01-21-2006, 09:00 PM

as of yet....looking for 350-450....working on the 350 area This is for regrinds....
the 3vz-e could see billits as well

of course group buys will drop the prices a bit too

5vz is looking at 750 right now

Last edited by Weasy2k; 01-21-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 PM

as of yet....looking for 350-450....working on the 350 area This is for regrinds....
the 3vz-e could see billits as well

of course group buys will drop the prices a bit too
I can't wait to see the dyno results... This is awesome Johnny!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:06 PM

I've been wanting some cams for the 3.4 too. I figure the'll add to the S/C. You said you tested the turbo s/c cams firsts i think i read. So you do have a different grind for an artificially aspirated engine? Will you also be putting together some sort of kit with everything you'll need (cams, springs, pump)? How much would that run? I didn't notice it the CARB question about CA smog was answered. Will CA be able to join the fun?
Old 01-22-2006, 05:20 AM

Well its mostly because i wanted to get a dyno run of before and after but if i put those cams on wont have a after dyno, and i am SURE people will argue if i use other peoples stock dynographs against my cam one eventho the gains will be fairly different. I may jsut do it this way and people who ant back to back dynos can hear from the people who are goign to buy these cams and talk about them, customer feedback is really importent to me.

The second issue is that the engine siezed when the HG went and also ran without coolent (thanks dad ) after getting it towed here I cranked it over and it spun so im unsure of why it didnt turn over when i went to see it. If there is no damages to the engine itself and the HG's can be replaced and be done with it then I will be putting my cams in regardless, time here is very limited nowadays

I want to provide products for the 3.0L guys and during this tear down and rebuild i will be looking at things to make/put together which will not break the bank as many other companys like to do

I will also like to say that this truck will be fitted with the SMT6 as well and going to tune the engine a bit on the dyno to help squeeze more power out of it
Oh sweeet! When you do install the smt6 can you do a detailed write up on that? I've always been a litte overwhelmed/terrified of that many wires (but alarms dont scare me - go figure) and there are a few odds and ends in that system that still dont make any sense to me despite having read through the instructions twice and trying to keep up on the SMT6 thread.

So 290 for two sets of dyno runs before and after and about 350-400 for the cams...hehe I think I found something to do with my tax return!
Old 01-22-2006, 09:24 AM

Yea these are designed for forced induction and there will be a higher lift N/A version coming out as well. Those are 2 of 5 different options that will be released in the coming months.
I will also be releasing a whole kit that will get the engine to take the higher rpm, yuo just need to get a standalone to get up to those levels as the stock ecu wont let you rev past 5500rpm Price pending....

CARB is something that has interested me, but i am unsure if the cams themselves will really be noticed, the idle isnt any different and it should not reduce the emmisions to the point of failing (depends on tuning). Of course if you go to the 7k mark then you need a standalone and that becomes an issue.

Bumpin Yota,
I would make a deal with the dyno place and see if they can cut you some slack if you do 2 dyno runs within the month or something, im sure they will give you a break.
SMT6 is like 5-7 wires and your done No biggy but there will be a detailed install guide of course and the possible release of a plug and play option (however they are costly but for some its worth it)

Also some research has been put into the 3vz-e and the burning up of the 5 & 6 cyl and it looks like the cams may help bring down the temps thus reducing the chance of that happening...which is a double good thing More power, more milage, less heat....this is gonna be fun to test.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

*cough*

Any updates?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 PM

*cough* you got me sick marko
Old 02-01-2006, 09:51 PM

*cough* Dyno in 12 hours

damn its contagius
Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 PM

*cough*

Dang.... It's everywhere!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:27 AM

*cough* *sneeze* *blows nose*

The part that sucks is that I really am sick!

results?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 262 Degree Cams coming soon