Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

262 Degree Cams coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well just build what you said you are going to build. If something blows up and you post it here, I'am going to be on your ass about it! I have been around engines long enough to know what a stock engine can and cannot take. I have been around Toyota engines to know what they can and cannot take. I support what you are doing for these engines it is just how you are going about it. Good luck on your achievments!

James
Old 12-26-2005, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sandiego
I have some learning to do. Does anyone have an exploded view of the 3.4L engine? Apparently I don't know what I'm talking about.
Here this should help: oil pump install

James
Old 12-26-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRV1
Well just build what you said you are going to build. If something blows up and you post it here, I'am going to be on your ass about it! I have been around engines long enough to know what a stock engine can and cannot take. I have been around Toyota engines to know what they can and cannot take. I support what you are doing for these engines it is just how you are going about it. Good luck on your achievments!

James
Thanks
How i am going by doing it in what sense? Just changin the ems and going 7000 or by the fact that the internals were balanced and checked for any problems and approved? I have done this already WHy do you think im confident on what im doing...the oil problems that were listed was oil pump flow, valve springs are too weak and the cam wont let air in passed 4000rpm

Here is the oil pump: Its the giant thing on the bottom attached to the crank
Old 12-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
incidentally my 3vze has seen 6k rpm from time to time whenever the tranny decided that it didnt want to shift. In neutral Ive never hit any rev limiter (nor do I want to push my luck...)

My 3vze sees 5800rpm on a daily basis and has for the past 9 years and 210,000 miles that I've owned it. I think it has the ability to rev higher without serious issues. (Of course you do have the trade off loosing longevity doing that...)

having said all of that, Im knocking on wood! LOL

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-26-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:15 PM

weasy2k - where is the power band going to be for these cams? The stock cam doesnt seem to wake up until about 3000rpm, yet dies off around 4800...
Old 12-26-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
weasy2k - where is the power band going to be for these cams? The stock cam doesnt seem to wake up until about 3000rpm, yet dies off around 4800...

Hehe yes i have had the same problems when the tranny doesn't want to shift...you know what i noticed tho...those engines sound pretty damn good

but going back to the cams..yes thats why my machinist laughed because he said Toyota left SO much room for improvement on those cams...and hence my/his explanation on the fact you will see greater power band BOTH sides and increased gas mileage!

I dont have figures right this seconded but over the next 2 weeks you will see some as the 3vze in my dads 4runner is going under the knife to get the cams machined soon
Old 12-30-2005, 06:39 PM

heheheh this is exciting!

do you know if youd recommend any head work or possibly headers for best results with these cams?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Cool

I can't speak for weasy & I don't work with 3vz-e's performance wise, other that the pair of turbos I did.

Going off other Toyota engines & v6's, the headers won't give you too much until you get into bigger modifications. Personally, they're not worth it unless that's simply all that's left, or you can build your own / get a good deal on them. The only Toyota v6 that has really bad headers are the vz-fe & 2vz-fe which have combo headers & the y-pipe is a cross-over-pipe from the rear bank to the front bank.

I always reccommend head porting & polishing. It's been found to be the single biggest power adder on the N/A FE engines & *especially* the v6's. You guys might even have room to install O.S valves. That's something 24v head owners can only dream about. The biggest I've ever seen someone dare do is 1mm larger exhaust valves on the 24v v6's. IMHO The only thing that will touch what P&P with a good valve job in N/A mods is going to be custom cams - like what weasy is making.

It shouldn't be a needed mod by any means. Understand that IMHO it's a great mod to do/have done.

His cams will flow so much better from I'm just going to no-brain it and say 3500rpm, (Without trading bottom end, because Toyota is conservative) that the head work is going to let them simply take off.

I've seen no numbers, but IMHO I would expect his cams, and a P&P job (Concentrating on reliefing the valves, a 3angle + valvejob, bowl work & trying to increase velocity) will put a 3vz-e into 3vz-fe stock power territory (185-204bhp). I think it would be pretty obvious for free mods (Like timing & AFM adjustment etc.) would easily get it up there.
A 3vz-fe makes peak horsepower @ 5200rpm, so I don't think weasy is going to have to blown the RPM doors of the engine down to make relatively signifigant power changes on a 3vz-e.

But I'll say it oooone more time just to make sure noone mis-understands.
1) I'm not speaking for Weasy, it's just my opinion based on nothing I can tell you about tuning an N/A 3vz-e
2) I have found head porting to be a huge mod. I'm sure a good job on a 3vz-e would increase breathing from 4000rpm on, just like it does the 24v heads.
3) Porting & valve work shouldn't be considered a have-to mod, but I think anyone that wouldn't mind saving aside some money to spend on head/valve work after the cams are put in, is going to be an extremely happy person.

Lastly, anyone that would buy hotter cams from weasy, don't fret about rpm, there are a bunch of 12v v6 engines that turn over 8,000rpm. Just because nobody really does it with a Toyota, doesn't mean one of you couldn't try if you wanted to.

Last edited by Toysrme; 12-30-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:11 PM

well couldnt ave said it better...

sooo.....^^^ what he said

The cams will be able to open up the TINY power band you see in the the 3vz-e...if you wanted something more aggressive i am going to make "Level II" cams of all the engines which will have a more agressive lift and even more duration which will of course be for N/A only.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

I cant wait to see this happen...

The SC may not be my best option... but I would be excited to throw a set of cams in there and give them a try for sure....

Hey Weasy, do you know any good performance head shops that are reasonable around here?? We have an amazing guy who does all our heads ECT... but he really doesent get into performance work...
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 AM

i have yet to find someone, i am looking tho!
just cams

I am still sorucing out valve spring componets for the engine too.

After that ill be trying my own hand at working on a 5vz head as next year i plan to build a N/A 5vz beast at which point ill be selling alot of 5vz stuff.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Well, with the super charger kit on hold... I would like to see what they come out with..... may get burned... may see a new kit coming out soon...
Old 12-31-2005, 12:54 PM

i dunno, you can still get the sc on ebay and other places vs the dealer

I cant see trd relseaing another s/c for a engine they dont make anymore...unless they plan to put it in another car/truck
Old 12-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Unless they update the kit somehow... but then why just "suspend" the kit and not discontinue it???
Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 PM

Im just brainstorming now...lol

For the 5vzfe supercharged guys you could probably make an UBER aggressive cam to help them build power. :-D If I understand the concept correctly you can run a much more aggressive cam for forced induction than you can for NA...
Old 12-31-2005, 01:53 PM

Well that cna be taken both ways bumpin yota,
but for the sake of argument cams are way more aggressive when working with a N/A application, that is because you can allow for alot more Lift and duration which promotes overlap and some nice high rpm power.
on the flip side you can really push more power using cams designed for FI that will allow the cyls to fill up quicker but not go into the overlap zone which in turn drops the psi needed to make the same amount of hp.

Im excited to see what these cams will do, the install into my truck engine will start in 5min
Old 12-31-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
Unless they update the kit somehow... but then why just "suspend" the kit and not discontinue it???

dont know....i would love to see the 5vz brought back to life in something else...maybe a mr2 with 7k rpm redline and twin turbo....oh yea...thats what im doing
Old 12-31-2005, 02:10 PM

Test 1) 3.4L Stock EVERYTHING (except high flow oil pump)....stock ecu....5500rpm
Test 2) 3.4L 10psi Supercharged tuned with smt6 stock redline 5500rpm 370cc injectors
Test 3) 3.4L 7000rpm N/A (even tho these are turbo cams) Standalone
Test 4) 3.4L 7000rpm Twin Turbo 10-14psi Stand alone aftermarket fuel rail and fuel injectors

I would like to see how much you can get out of Test 1 by only adding a Standalone with rev limit raised to 7000 rpm
Old 12-31-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by naksukow
Test 1) 3.4L Stock EVERYTHING (except high flow oil pump)....stock ecu....5500rpm
Test 2) 3.4L 10psi Supercharged tuned with smt6 stock redline 5500rpm 370cc injectors
Test 3) 3.4L 7000rpm N/A (even tho these are turbo cams) Standalone
Test 4) 3.4L 7000rpm Twin Turbo 10-14psi Stand alone aftermarket fuel rail and fuel injectors

I would like to see how much you can get out of Test 1 by only adding a Standalone with rev limit raised to 7000 rpm
look at test 3
Old 01-01-2006, 07:16 AM

Test 3 is with your "turbo cams" correct?

Quick Reply: 262 Degree Cams coming soon