Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 4RUNNER Airbag Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 4RUNNER Airbag Suspension

Hello from the Virgin Islands,

I am from the VI (the caribbean for those that havent had a chance to visit). I am working on a 2000 limited 4runner (soon have some pics up for you guys to rate or hate .
I am interested in doing something new, namely an airbag suspension system. Here in the VI there is no one with an airbag suspension system and I would like to be the first. I have been doing some research online on air rides and came across a system called "BIG RED" (http://www.airride.com/productinfo/bigred.asp) .....I would like to be able to lift about 2" above ride height and perhaps 2" or 3" below ride height.
Like I said no one here in the VI has an airbag suspension system so I am not familiar with the accessories needed for the system to function properly. I am open to suggestions as to what would be the best and most cost effect air bag suspension system that would make my 4runner drop and rise at the push of a button.

Awaiting some good suggestions from you guys........additionally, tell me what you think of that Big red system......is it worth it or a complete waste of time????
Old 03-08-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by megga_T_
Hello from the Virgin Islands,

I am from the VI (the caribbean for those that havent had a chance to visit). I am working on a 2000 limited 4runner (soon have some pics up for you guys to rate or hate .
I am interested in doing something new, namely an airbag suspension system. Here in the VI there is no one with an airbag suspension system and I would like to be the first. I have been doing some research online on air rides and came across a system called "BIG RED" (http://www.airride.com/productinfo/bigred.asp) .....I would like to be able to lift about 2" above ride height and perhaps 2" or 3" below ride height.
Like I said no one here in the VI has an airbag suspension system so I am not familiar with the accessories needed for the system to function properly. I am open to suggestions as to what would be the best and most cost effect air bag suspension system that would make my 4runner drop and rise at the push of a button.

Awaiting some good suggestions from you guys........additionally, tell me what you think of that Big red system......is it worth it or a complete waste of time????
IS THERE NO KINDA HELP IN THIS FORUM PEOPLE....GEEEZZZ
Old 03-09-2004, 04:30 AM
CTB

Try a search on the forum first, and see if you come up with anything. Air bags have been discussed plenty, so see what you can find and then try posting back.

Edit:

Sorry, I was assuming you were using air bags to level out your suspension, not lower it. Not sure where you will find info like that.

Last edited by CTB; 03-09-2004 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:40 AM
Away

Most people on this board are interested in the upgrades to make their trucks more off-road worthy. I can't imagine anyone here being able to help you with your questions.

Sorry.

Good luck with your project.
G
Old 03-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK bud....turn the caps off.....we can read. :pat:

Not many in here go for the bagged look you are after but here is what I found from someone doing some lowering on a 1997 4runner. Sounds like the lowering springs are much cheaper than a full hydraulic or airbag system. You probably want airbag and not hydraulics unless you want to bounce the front end like a rap video. Here's what I found out.

There aren't many kits for lowering a 4runner. Most Kits you have to get from Japan. If you don't go that route, you have to go with Hydraulics or airbag suspension. I have 3 inch lowering springs made by elford. I like them but they weren't cheap. I paid $900 for them and I also have an adjustable lateral rod made by Battlez(JAOS) which was roughly $400.

There are a few full systems for around $1500 to $2000 and it certainly can be done.

This seems to be a good place to go for parts:
http://www.truckn-store.com

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-09-2004 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:26 AM

Not to sound arogant, but I was a bit discouraged since the post have been up for quite a few days before there was any response. I was beginning to think that the forum was overratted. I figured it would be a matter of time before you guys started dishing out some feed back.
I did do a search on the forum and come to find out most of the guys that have done mods to their runners are geared towards outdoor activities. The majority of mods that I have seen are related to LIFTS and a few Lowering.
I my situation, I need to be able to lift and lowerer at will. Like I have mentioned in one of my prior posts, I am aiming on having the system together for a car show. One of the concerns that I have is getting over COUNTLESS speed bumps that are placed in Town and with the ability to raise and lower my runner, speed bumps wont be a problem.
Jaime, I think I am going to go with one of those $1500 - $2000 systems that you referred to. My only issue is choosing the best one for the Job. I have noticed that most of the web sites dont offer full systems but rather parts that make up the full systems (e.g. air shocks, compressors etc.).
I came across a full system on ebay; however, I am not sure if it will be the right system for the Job. It is one of the first full systems I have seen so far. The store owner said that it comes with everything except a four link and drop spindels.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT thats the link to the system. check it out and let me know what your guys truely think.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:09 AM

I hope these links help you.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/300562

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/488453

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/308851

Old 03-10-2004, 01:53 PM

Vata Loco, those are some AWESOME PICS. A matter of fact, I think you may have hit the nail on the head beacuse that second pic (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/488453) is exactly the look that I am aiming for.
Now that you guys have a visual of exactly the type of look I am driving towards, I am clueless as to how I need to get there. This is where your expertise comes in. I have left a few messages on Cardomain.com in order to get the type of system and accesories that the owner of the runner used, but to no avail. It seems as if those guys at cardomain.com prefer to keep there stuff SECRET because they NEVER RESPOND. I have even went as far as emailing some of the guys to get a feed back on the specs for the airbad system, but there is never a response.
Perhaps you guys may know how to get some info. from those guys at car domain or better yet, maybe some of you guys may be familiar with the system that the guy at cardomain uses. If so, let me know what system I should be aiming towards.
In one of my earlier posts......I made mention about an airbag system that was on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK%3AMEBWA%3AIT) .....if you guys think that is a total waste of time let me know.
As for now, still open for suggestions on that full airbag suspension system. keep u'm comming....I knew this forum would have been involved as much as I needed.....