Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st Gen rear window problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen rear window problems

I did a search but didn't find an answer yet.

My rear window works with the key but not the switch(have to check the switch/wiring out) but it does not go up straight. I have to guide it up to make sure both sides go up evenly. Is the regulator shot? Could it be out of track? Just looking for some tips to get me started, also if the switch is a common issue any tips there(relay/fuse?)?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 05:33 PM

i've taken the window and regulator and everything apart a couple of times now. it's not a hard job. just make sure you don't take the black cover off the motor. i did that once and i spent an hour looking for the springs that fell out.

if things aren't going up straight, then you may have a problem with the regualtor. the best thing to do would be to open up the tailgate and watch how it's working. the regulator is pretty easy to fix, so don't go buying a new one right away.

also while you have it apart, make sure you grease everything up well. use lithium on the metal-metal interfaces and silicone on the glass-rubber interfaces
Old 05-13-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FSRBIKER
I did a search but didn't find an answer yet.

My rear window works with the key but not the switch(have to check the switch/wiring out) but it does not go up straight. I have to guide it up to make sure both sides go up evenly. Is the regulator shot? Could it be out of track? Just looking for some tips to get me started, also if the switch is a common issue any tips there(relay/fuse?)?

Thanks
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be rusty tracks. As for the switch not working, IIRC there is a "rear window lock" switch that needs to be on (off?) for the window to go down? ? ? Right next to the window down switch. There could be something wrong with that switch.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:09 PM

I had the same problem with the switch in my '85 once. I was able to fix it by pulling the switch, disassembling it, cleaning the contacts and putting it back together. With the switch located in the console where it is, a whole lot of junk tends to work it's way down into the switch and gunk up the works.
One quick way to check to see if the switch is the problem is to pull it out of the console without disconnecting the wiring, turn the ignition so you have power to it then use a paper clip or similar device to cross up the contacts that are on the bottom of the switch. I don't remember which combination works, but it is easy enough to figure out. I messed around and crossed up a few without ever popping a fuse.
If it is the switch, there is a tension pin in the housing that can be pushed out easily, but be careful. The pin is held in place by the tension of the small size hole it is pushed into. If you get western with it, the hole may not hold the pin afterwards. Next caution, the rocker contains a tiny spring with a small pin at the end. Losing either with ruin your day. I find that turning the switch partially upside down helps especially if you plan ahead and have something like a rag under your hand to catch parts. After removing the rocker, there is a little teeter-totter piece of metal that the rocker moves to make contact with the contacts. Let this piece fall out too so you can clean it and the contacts below it. It can be a hassle to get it back in position, but it is doable. Just make sure you get an idea of what it looks like while in place before dislodging it.
I also took the opportunity to stretch the spring slightly to regain some life out of it.
Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.
If it isn't switch in the console you could have your work cut out for you. Here is a link to Roger Brown's page on the wiring:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
It could be something as simple as a poor contact or broken wire leading to/from the tailgate, but chasing it down could turn into a hassle. The wiring schematic on his page will help out immensly though in trying to figure what to look at first.
Good luck!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
If it isn't switch in the console you could have your work cut out for you. Here is a link to Roger Brown's page on the wiring:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
It could be something as simple as a poor contact or broken wire leading to/from the tailgate, but chasing it down could turn into a hassle. The wiring schematic on his page will help out immensly though in trying to figure what to look at first.
Good luck!
I had the broken wire problem with mine.
if it is not the switch then open the left side access pannel (where the jack is and disconnect the wire harness (deep in the rear corner) pull it out from the bottom of the truck and then up through the crack between the tail gate and the truck.
take off the tape and harness sleeve and look for broken wires.. sodier them up (make sure you heat shrink any repairs) then reinstall in reverse order.
the wires get brittle so you can usually see if they are broken without the use of a multi meter (while your are there you can figure out what to do if you ever lock your keys in the truck).... but we won't post that!
David