Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 Power lock/window fuse or relay location?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Power lock/window fuse or relay location?

As of this morning, the power locks (from key in driver's door, switch inside, or key fob are not working). the power windows are not working from anywhere or any switch inside the truck.

I'm thinking power fuse must have blown for power windows and door locks but not sure exactly where to look in the 1997 4Runner? Replaced the 30A pink one on top of fuse box inside truck on lower left dash, but nothing still working.

From searching google and many boards, folks are mentioning a 30A or 40A "Power" fuse/relay below steering column that I believe is different and separate from the inside fuse box?

Anyone have any help or ideas where to look?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Do your dash gauges work? Not the signals but the battery/oil/temp/etc... All that you described plus the gauges (and heater/ac fan) went out on me yesterday due to a frayed wire connection going back to the rear lights.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM

yep all are working fine. Wierd huh? It's like some big master fuse for windows and locks blew and no power is going to any of the switches on any of the interior door panels. Good luck with your fix as well too!

CB
Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Anybody have any ideas on this one where to find a single point of failure for no power to windows or locks? Maybe it is coincidental, but sure seems like there is a common power problem causing both. If anyone has any ideas of where to start looking for fuse, relay, etc. I would sure appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Same thing happened to me when....

have you taken the door panel off the driver's side door and done any work?

i did, and did not completely plug the wiring harness from the panel into the receiver in the door. it worked for awhile, but eventually it disconnected and i was scratching my head as you are today. took me 4 months to hunt down the gremlin, but when i found it i couldn't believe it!

take a look (even if you haven't done any recent work). the power losses were exactly as you've described- couldn't hurt.

good luck!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok all windows and door locks(including hatch) and power seats all go through the 30 amp power fuse located in the driver side junction block located in lower finish panel(just above drivers feet and to the left and i believe there is a pop off panel. sounds like you found corect fuse box but just located a little higher and is a bit larger then the others.

Name:  JCAS30.jpg
Views: 6990
Size:  2.1 KB

Last edited by toyotacharles; 06-17-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks everyone. Found the problem, connector was loose (I prob. did it!) when I was poking around the drivers dash fuse box. Now I have power locks and windows back, but the securikey system is still non responsive, so still need to troubleshoot that.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad you found it, hope you fix security system soon
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by CBDenver
Thanks everyone. Found the problem, connector was loose (I prob. did it!) when I was poking around the drivers dash fuse box. Now I have power locks and windows back, but the securikey system is still non responsive, so still need to troubleshoot that.

Thanks again,
Chris
do you have any pics of the security system? any idea if it is the same as the factory installed VIP alarm? i just removed my factory installed VIP and would sell it to you cheap if its the same set up.

jason
Old 06-24-2011, 08:14 AM

It is the securikey system installed in Gulf Coast states for many years. It is made by Audiovox I believe. The "brain" is behind drivers kick panel, not under the drivers seat if that helps any. Here is a picture (borrowed from another post) of the key that it uses with alarm controls built in. Let me know what type you have, is it the 3000 or 3200 or something like that?
Attached Thumbnails 1997 Power lock/window fuse or relay location?-img_0549.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 PM

Still not working

Originally Posted by CBDenver

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris, I've g the same problem and was wondering if it was the connection in the drivers door thanks john
Old 11-12-2014, 02:34 PM

Windows and door locks not working

I am having the same problem with my 1995 4runner 3vze. My power door locks will not lock but have power they just lock then unlock immediately. My power windows on the other hand don't work from any switch except the sunroof but i constantly blow the fuse for it anyway. Upon further inspection I found that the wires running from my driver side kick panel through the door and into the master switch were melted together. It was the wires leading to the door locks i believe and i think i have narrowed it down to the door control relay but im not positive. Any suggestions or solutions would be very much appreciated.

Also blower does not work and i just replaced blower motor switch and the switch light turns on?

Thanks in advance,
Philip
Old 04-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Fixed

My power locks, turn signals, and dome lights would not work, tried replacing the 30a still didnt fix anything, used the fuse tester, all fuses checked out but after pulling out some of the fuses my buddy seen that I had a blown fuse under the hood, replaced that and everything worked. Hope this helps somebody, I guess event though the tester says the fuses are good always do a visual check too.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:19 PM

Please let me know the location of your frayed wires

Do your dash gauges work? Not the signals but the battery/oil/temp/etc... All that you described plus the gauges (and heater/ac fan) went out on me yesterday due to a frayed wire connection going back to the rear lights

I have this same issue, where did you find the fray?