Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'04 tacoma new owner....happy until today

Old 11-05-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 tacoma new owner....happy until today

Hello all. I bought my '04 tacoma ext cab 5spd last thursday. I have been so happy with it as I have spent months and months going through all the ads and dealers looking for the right truck.

I wasn't necessarily looking for a newer one, but when this one came along I just said what the hell. I have owned a few toyota's over the years, but they have always been used with plenty of miles and wear. They ran great, but I never had one nice enough to hang onto for the long term.

Then it was like the most amazing thing ever the other day while browsing autotrader. I no longer searched within the 25, 50, 100 mile radius.... I was selecting any distance. I came across a 2004 black tacoma with 160 miles on it. I couldn't believe it, and the price seemed fair... 23,000.

So I rented a car and drove four hours one way to pick it up. I drove it and everything was great until I noticed it didn't have the rear locker switch. It did have the TRD sticker, and I asked the salesman if the truck just had a sticker put on it because at the time I wasn't sure if there were different options within the TRD package that included the locker or not.

The salesman assured me it was a TRD package, and I was in a hurry because I had to be back at work that same day after the drive back. I told him to call me after he found out about the details on the TRD. Well, I never got a call and after reading a few posts on here it looks like I must have got the sticker TRD package instead of the real deal. The drain plug is on the passenger side looking from the rear of the truck.

So I emailed the salesman asking about the situation since he never called. I wish I had a screenshot of the original ad that listed it as a TRD truck, but all I have is the text I copied and pasted into an email when I was inquiring about the truck. Here is what their ad read:

2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Xtracab
Black, 106 Miles
3.4 liter 6 Cyl. Fuel Injected 5 Speed Manual
VIN # 5TEWN72N14Z447262, Stock # 21136
Warranty Yes

So, today is the first day I realized that the truck was sold to me dishonestly. I am not happy about this, and wanted to get some advice on what could be done here. When I originally called about the truck, they were firm on the price and I never really tried to haggle since I thought it was pretty fair. I distinctly remember the salesman saying they already had it dropped in price from 28,000 so it was almost 6,000 off sticker. So if he was quoting 28,000 then that must have been the tacoma with TRD, because I don't think they sold new for more than that.

I am disappointed because I thought I was getting the best '04 tacoma and I'm not a fan of the '05s due to the redesign. I don't know what the TRD package option cost, or if there is an equivalent setup that could be put on the truck to make it comparable. I can't believe I let this happen, I just can't stand car dealers anymore.

Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry for the novel, but I am going to ask them for compensation equal to the cost of the TRD unless there is any other advice you all might have to offer. I plan to have the truck for life and I don't think I'll find another one with such low miles, so I just want to get the truck setup right. If its not a TRD then the sticker will come off, because I don't like the "type R" sticker BS, and thats what this feels like.

Sorry, had to vent. I feel the need to make a 4 hour drive back up to the dealer and talk about a partial refund. Can anyone give advice? What was the cost of the TRD package so I know what I should be getting back from them.

thanks,

Scott
Old 11-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No rear locker button? I'd either get some money back from the deal, or tell them that they sold it labeled as a trd package and have them install the package for you, with no labor.

Last edited by EWAYota; 11-05-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
No rear locker button? I'd either get some money back from the deal, or tell them that they sold it labeled as a trd package and have them install the package for you, with no labor.
Any idea on what the package would cost? I don't think it has ANY of the TRD package on it. I don't know what the suspension should look like, but if someone could give me a quick description I could go take a look. It also has the cheaper looking wheels, not the "directional" looking wheels. I thought the TRD trucks had those directional wheels as well.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
whew! i thought you were mad about the tacoma!

while i'm not an attorney, if your documentation on your sales invoice says "tacoma with TRD package", that's false advertising/misrepresentation and its up to the dealership to make amends. they are screwed if your invoice says "trd package" on it.

instead of calling the sales dolt who sold you the tacoma, call the dealership's customer service manager asap. if you get nowhere fast with the CS manager, call the general sales manager. if the GM doesnt help you, better consult an attorney asap.

of course, be polite and know what you want out of it. cash? or do you want the actual trd e-locker installed? personally, id take the cash value of the parts (e-locker, locker ECU, locker harness, and the actual rear axle) and buy an ARB elocker and have that installed

keep us informed about what happens.

oh, document every conversation, fax, email, etc. get names, times, dates, etc. going forward, treat this as a legal matter until you get what you paid for and be patient.

bob
Old 11-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

When you say "TRD sticker," are you purposely keeping "sticker" singular? Because every TRD Tacoma I have ever seen, including mine, has two stickerS (plural), one on each side of the bed.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:26 AM

Sorry to hear that bro.

i think you should call the FTC if they sold it as equipt with the TRD package. then there better be a locker. if there isnt, then you need to file a complaint. or at least use it as leverage when talking to the GM.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The TRD package included the directional alloy wheels, yellow bilstien shocks, upgraded coils in front, black overfenders, and the stickers. After searching on google, the price was about $1100 dealer cost. According to this, the e-locker is a stand alone option on the 2004.http://www.intellichoice.com/reports...a/model/Tacoma

Last edited by Paul H.; 11-06-2005 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
It would "seem" that the dealer wasn't dishonest...you just didn't ask the right questions or do your homework. I think there is a time limit, not sure what it is, where you can return a purchased vehicle, just like any other item, and negate the sale and buy something else or just walk away.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:04 AM

The yellow Blistien shocks should be the give away. If you don't have them follow Bob_98SR5's advice. Being in retail and having dealt with numerous irate customers (usually their fault in my business, but occasionaly we do blunder) I know first hand how much more accomodating a business will be if the person is calm and reasonable. Get your facts straight. Decide what you want done. Then approach them.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since it sounds like it is a used vehicle it will probably be buyer beware. Most dealerships (including toyota) wouldn't know a TRD package from their butt if it didn't have stickers on it anyway.

That being said, if you questioned it and they told you it had the package and the paperwork you signed says TRD i would cause the biggest fuss trying to get something done on it.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Just to confirm what these guys are telling you, as well as your suspicions, no locker, no TRD.

The locker has always been available as an option without the TRD package, so there are a few non-TRD trucks running around with the e-locker. However, if it is a "real" TRD packaged Tacoma, by definition, it has the e-locker.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it's a bummer that the dealership didn't know their product well enough to represent what you were buying correctly. But, for that matter, it's equally bad that you didn't know either I suspect that we will see more and more of this, eespecially with the number of folks who put TRD stickers on their non-TRD rigs and then sell the rig. Heck, there's even 4Runners on here who put the stickers on, so it's just a matter of time before we see a dealership selling a 4Runner with a "TRD" package that is really just some past owner trying to look cool.

If you are otherwise happy with the truck, keep it and try to get the dealership to split the cost of installing an ARB locker in the rear. That will bring you up to par. The rest of the TRD package is not a big deal and if you are going to lift it, you don't want the shocks or coils anyway.

Otherwise, if this has left a sour taste in your mouth, make them take it back. Even though you probably should have known better, the dealership plainly sold you something other than what they advertised.

Caveat Emptor

A TRD sticker does not a TRD make.

Last edited by WATRD; 11-06-2005 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo
I distinctly remember the salesman saying they already had it dropped in price from 28,000 so it was almost 6,000 off sticker. So if he was quoting 28,000 then that must have been the tacoma with TRD, because I don't think they sold new for more than that.
My 2004 TRD V6 Extra cab (with nearly every option except VSC and Auto trans) stickered at 24,XXX. What brand of crack is that salesman smoking?

Originally Posted by Paul H.
According to this, the e-locker is a stand alone option on the 2004
When I ordered my truck in June 04, the E-locker was not a stand alone option, it only came with the TRD. It was still shown as stand alone in the brochure though. It might have been some end of the model run thing to drop it as a seperate option. It's actually the only reason I got a TRD truck.

Last edited by yamarocket630; 11-06-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

The Eaton (TRD) electronic locker has been an option by itself since it debuted. Many dealerships don't know about it and just about as many won't do any extra work to find out about it, but if you special ordered your truck, the locker has always been an option.

This discussion has been a popular one on TTORA over the years and for pretty much every year, we have found at least one person who was able to order the locker as an option.

The most famous example has been "Mark Stubble" or "Nuke", one of the national directors of TTORA. He wrecked his older Tacoma and wanted a 2001 with the locker but no TRD. He had to go through multiple dealerships and multiple salesmen until he found one who would take the time to build the exact truck he was looking for with him. Eventually he found one who would work with him and then they had to submit the order a couple of times before the factory would accept it. Eventually, he got exactly the truck he wanted. With a locker, without TRD.

I have hear similar stories several times over since then. Possible? Yes, a pain in the butt to do? Yes...

Last edited by WATRD; 11-06-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
The Eaton (TRD) electronic locker has been an option by itself since it debuted. Many dealerships don't know about it and just about as many won't do any extra work to find out about it, but if you special ordered your truck, the locker has always been an option.

This discussion has been a popular one on TTORA over the years and for pretty much every year, we have found at least one person who was able to order the locker as an option.

The most famous example has been "Mark Stubble" or "Nuke", one of the national directors of TTORA. He wrecked his older Tacoma and wanted a 2001 with the locker but no TRD. He had to go through multiple dealerships and multiple salesmen until he found one who would take the time to build the exact truck he was looking for with him. Eventually he found one who would work with him and then they had to submit the order a couple of times before the factory would accept it. Eventually, he got exactly the truck he wanted. With a locker, without TRD.

I have hear similar stories several times over since then. Possible? Yes, a pain in the butt to do? Yes...

Could be what happened to me. I knew it was available, and had to "convince" the salesman. According to the salesman, sales manager, and general manager, they tried to order the truck several times and it would get rejected every time because the locker was discontinued as a seperate option.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yamarocket630
Could be what happened to me. I knew it was available, and had to "convince" the salesman. According to the salesman, sales manager, and general manager, they tried to order the truck several times and it would get rejected every time because the locker was discontinued as a seperate option.
That sounds familiar. Mark detailed his progress on the old TTORA forum and it sounded like a lot of work, but he stuck to his guns and got what he wanted.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:12 AM

Yes, it does have the sticker on both sides.

I feel partially at fault for taking the salesmans word for it when we made arrangements for the sale. It was advertised as a TRD truck and after driving 4 hours to get it, I was in a hurry and felt this dealer was honest. They made the claim of being around since 1930's and I dealt with the sales manager and owner. Its not a Toyota dealer, rather a smaller mom and pop type dealer with mostly Toyotas and Subaru's. They even bragged that they sold more toyotas and subarus than the local dealers. That right there tells me the salesman knew damn well that the truck wasn't a true TRD and lied to my face. I would feel a little less blame on their part and more on mine if I never questioned it at all then noticed it after buying the truck.

I looked at the paperwork and it just says Tacoma, so I might be screwed.

The irritating thing to me though is I specifically asked them why it didn't have the e-locker and he just played dum. Then I said, I hope this isn't a truck where they just put the stickers on it. And he said oh no, not at all. That was before I had even read about them being put on.

It seemed a little suspect when I bought it but I was in a hurry and really liked the truck. I would not give the truck back over that, but it does piss me off that I was misled. I have been searching for a LONG time trying to find an '04 with less than 10,000 mi and a 5 sp. They are getting very hard to find, and they sure aren't going down in price. Many on autotrader are listed in the 24-27 range.

I have owned a few toyotas(pickups / runners) and I finally convinced myself to get a new one when I saw that new '05. No offense to anyone , but that does not resemble the traditional toyota truck inside, in my opinion. This was my last chance to own a truck that I have admired for the last 12 years, and I am very happy with it... other than the TRD thing.

Yes, I will accept some of the blame and should have looked into it further. I just never expected something like this to happen. I have wrote them an email, and am asking them to respond in that format so I have documentation.

I'll post the results. $1100 doesn't seem like very much to cover the cost of the better wheels, shocks, rear e-locker.

Anyone have a link to where to get the ARB e-locker? Is this something a Toyota dealer could install without affecting the warranty?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.arbusa.com
Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WATRD
The Eaton (TRD) electronic locker

Eaton? I'm pretty sure the locker is manufactured by Toyota.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience in purchasing your chosen truck. i will have to go along with wabbit on this one as well as watrd. see if they will do anything for you, i kind of doubt it but its worth a try. if they wont do anything, lesson learned, move on. you can purchase the arb locker and have it installed by a competent machine shop familiar with setting up and installing gears. good luck.

lee
Old 11-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Is the rear locker considered a regular Toyota piece or is it a TRD part?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '04 tacoma new owner....happy until today