Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'03 vs '02 4runner off-road capability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 vs '02 4runner off-road capability?

Hi guys. Was wondering if you all have had experience with both the 03 and 02 4 runner in terms of offroading. I really like the '03, with it's stronger engine, larger capacity, etc. However, I noticed that it's ground clearance is 9.1 inches vs. 11 inches for the '02 model. I would mainly be using my 4 runner for commuting to and from work of course, however I'll be taking it out on the weekends for moderate 4wheeling trips and vacations. I'm not necessarily asking for modified Jeep Wrangler-type offroading capability (since that's the vehicle I'll be selling to purchase the 4 runner, but I'd still like to be able to take on the moderately tough stuff on occasion.

So is the 2002 4 runner a more capable platform for 4 wheeling than the 2003 model? The 2003 has an awful lot of technical offroad "gadgetry", however I'm wondering if that stuff is reliable in "real world" offroading situations. From my general experience, it was always the complicated stuff that would break first - so I'm a bit apprehensive.

Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 07-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

i think this exact topic was covered on the 4x4 wire site, so when that's back up, you might want to search for it...

in the mean time. i say it's all about the 02. perhaps i'm a little biased the 3rd gen 2002 has the following things going for it in terms offroad: better ground clearance, and a bigger market of aftermarket accessories right now. the 2003 has some cool gadgetry tho, like DAC and that hill start assist thing.

i'm not sure about the details like approach/departure angles and such, but i'd say the two are pretty close. i've seen the 2003 in action, and i must say i was impressed. it's definitely great off road, and will be even be better when the aftermarket catches up, like with lifts and all that.

it's a close one. but right now i'm gonna have to give the edge to an 02. in stock form, maybe an 03 tho.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:42 AM

Yet another conversion from Jeep to Toyota......do you see the light yet.......
Old 07-16-2003, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

I traded my '02 Sport for a '03 Sport w/V8. The '02 is smaller, making it easier to navigate in tight situations. The small size makes for a small cabin and leg/shoulder room. The '03 is luxurious and is slighlty larger inside and out. The V8 is no comparison, if for nothing else, this engine is worth looking at an '03. If you get the '02, you will always be looking for ways to increase your engine's performance. With the '03 V8, the performance in stock trim is awesome! There are countless add-ons for the '02 model, the '03 has a very limited selection of aftermarket products, for the time being, it will change. Both rigs ride about the same, truckish, but the '03 with XREAS handles like a sports car in cornering situations. The new five speed is nice also. I really loved my '02, but you could tell it was time for an upgrade from Toyota. Toyota would have been hard pressed to find major improvements using the '02 chasis. Brakes were better in the '02. I am very satisfied with the '03.

My $.02

I guess it really depends on what you mean by off-road? A rock crawler or a trail rig.

Last edited by Sac State; 07-16-2003 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Dave:

I'm always for newer Just cuz it has a higher resale value. You know that in time, the aftermarket companies will supply the newer 4runner anyway. This means height shouldn't be an issue as after you lift it, it'll be the same. Engine is the same, add a SC or something and you'll ballin

The bottom line would be which one you prefer to drive around. I went with the newer 4runner only because it'll retain a higher resale value. Along with the v8 powered 5A/T, it's a monster! I really don't think a SC is needed (but then again, you never know! )

I've takin my 4runner to some places that I didn't even think I could. Ofcourse I got to experience some first hand body damage (minimal) but hey it goes places! most definitely a fun vehicle to drive. In stock form, it performs wonderfully Even the gadgetry stuff makes it that much better ( I think...)

Some things to consider:

Daystar will have spacers out by aug/sep
Downey will have their full suspension out by aug/sep
SAW - pending... haven't called them yet to verify shelf date...
OME - no word but since the Prado is the same spec, we'll see stuff out for the 4runner too now (that fits!)

Good luck!

Lance
Old 07-16-2003, 10:48 AM

Thanks for all your input, guys. Yeah, I'm hoping that a lift kit will help the 2003...just as long as it isn't high enough to cause the "domino effect" with suspension/drivetrain parts.

The thought of a 2003 4-runner V8 with the ground clearance of a 2002 makes me *drool*.

As for being a Jeep turned Toyota convert, I've actually always been a Toyota 4runner/Tacoma fan...just never had enough cash to live up to my interests Jeep has been a great vehicle, but I think my dogs are getting sick of being tied down to the front hood for lack of space

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 07-16-2003, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with a 2003 V8 and Good Times I hope all this aftermarket stuff you write in almost every 2003 4Runner thread you have saved to a word document cause on other boards guys would have just said search 1st
Old 07-16-2003, 06:10 PM

You know its funny when the 03 first came out it seemed I was going against the grain in saying I loved them; absoulutely, toyota you did a great job!!

In my humble opinion the 4th gen is just as big a leap above the third gen as the third was over the second generatiion when it came out

Now if toyota would put a manual transmission behind the v8 in this new 4runner I would grab my ankles and take on a monthly payment otherwise I who own a 3rd gen will keep mine. I am so sadcause I have absolutely no reason to sell mine. Other than my next new vehicle will have a manual transmisson. My personal opinion is with all the advancements Toyota has made with the new 4runner would kick ass to drive with a manual transmission. PLEASE TOYOTA PLEASE

Oh and while I am begging why not a six speed I want a granny gear

Last edited by NOTRUB; 07-16-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

edge:

yeah I'd just write and say just search it but sometimes it's hard to find stuff so, for me i just write it out... plus it's the same stuff anyway so no biggie... figure after awhile, someone else will write all the info

or better yet, as soon as I have some of the mods on my 4runner they can just goto my links!