Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'03 lo beams are LOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 lo beams are LOW

Have any of you 4th generation owners noticed the low beam of the headlights is very lowly lit? I mean the lights barely illuminate 25 yards in front of me, I find myself using the Hi-beams more than I should. There is about a 180* difference between the low and hi beam selection. Which is more than I think it should be.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:34 AM

maybe your headlights are misaligned?
I haven't noticed them being abnormal
Old 10-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Sac,

My lights are white and bright. Here's the low beam:

High Beam:

I think they are the brightest I've ever had.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:53 PM

I noticed the factory headlights were junk as well.

I just installed a Catz 4300K HID kit. Unbelievable difference. Only thing it is very pricy, but its true HID lighting. I believe this is the best route.

Good Luck,
Marco.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:00 PM

Happy with mine.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:15 PM

I dunno, I looked at them just now in the dark and they seem like pretty clean, bright white light.
I've never noticed them to be underlit. They are certainly brighter than my last truck... if they are that bad maybe it's aimed too low or something.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:32 PM

Mine are the brightest stock lights I've ever had. Check to make sure they are not misaligned -- if they are too high, or too low, or aimed differently from each other, it gets dark in a hurry.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their bright and white but they seem like their pointed lower to the ground then normal.

Roccos_Van
whats the price and is their a link
Old 10-30-2003, 07:39 PM

So are they user adjustable ? If so, how ?
Old 10-31-2003, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

But wouldn't the high beam be out of adjustment if the low beam was out of adjustment? Or is each light adjusted separately?

Driving down a small, country road with thick forests on both sides with deer in rut jumping out every two feet is similar to a ride at Disneyland. Having low beams that don't illuminate is a royal pain. I am taking her in tuesday to the dealer for the 7500 maintenance, so I'll have them look at it.

Marco, do you have a link or contact for the HID's. I know some people are running 'SilverStars', any feedback for that product?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:07 AM

Hey, my 03' lights did not seem to shine out very far either. There is a dial under the hood that takes a 8mm socket. Put a mark on it so you know how many turns you are making and adjust it 1 turn or, what ever works for yours (counter clockwise I think). This will make them shine out further. It helps a lot! If you have the factory fog lights, you can do the same but the set screw turns the opposite direction to get them to shine out more. Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Excellent! Thanks
Old 10-31-2003, 10:46 AM

My lights are fine. Just wondering if there is a way to run the fog lights with the parking lights? Now I can only turn on the fogs if I have the lights on.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:13 PM

Hi,

Well, I purchased my kit locally (~$500) And I can tell you its an excellent product. I did some checking on the net and found this info in this website: http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Light...32-1-1-1-1.cfm

CATZ HID Conversion Kits 9006 Low Beam - HID headlights.

The finest quality HID kits on the market have just arrived from Japan. The makers of the CATZ line of HIGH Quality Auxiliary fog and driving light sets have answered your prayers. CATZ HID Headlight Upgrade kits are now available. We have tested and rated our HID Upgrade kits as the finest on the market. The MSRP for the CATZ HID Upgrade kits range from $588 to $788. (Authorized Dealer Installation extra.) This is a far cry from the $3000 that we used to pay our Auto Dealer for HID lighting systems at the time of purchase. You can now get FACTORY PRICING for the HID Upgrade kit that fits your specific vehicle from CATZ USA. CATZ HID is manufactured in the ONLY high quality HID factory in Japan. CATZ HID Systems are used as OEM products in the Japanese Domestic Market. CATZ HID Upgrade kits carry ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certification. (International Quality of Manufacturing Standards) The Certified product failure rate is LESS than 1 part per million. Quality has always been JOB-ONE at CATZ. DOT and SAE Approval has been granted on the ballast and igniter, the HID bulbs are in the process of approval.
The Aqua White light produced by the CATZ HID bulbs is similar to daylight, reflecting road markings and signs better than conventional lighting. The CATZ HID bulbs is a micro-discharge bulb filled with a mixture of noble gases including Xenon.
These H4 High Low Beam HID headlights Systems are very easy install (plug and play) for your specific vehicle applications and fit directly into your existing headlights, all necessary hardware are also included.

The CATZ 9006 HID headlights Kit illuminates the night with brilliant sunlight like light beam. It represents a new dimension in driving; a technological breakthrough that unites the passion of automotive hid lighting performance and a commitment to safety. A very high voltage is required to light up the Xenon headlight - Xenon gas inside the special sealed HID bulbs. CATZ HID Conversion Kit ballast generates the required 25,000V to ignite the Xenon HID bulbs, and then it controls and regulates the electrical discharge between the two electrodes inside the HID bulbs.

Key benefit for the CATZ HID Conversion Kit - Xenon headlight.
»More than 3X the light output (High Intensity)
»Enhanced peripheral vision
»Improved visibility / illumination
»Sunlight color light beam (Higher (blue / purple) color temperature)
»Lower power consumption
» CATZ HID Conversion Kit comes with:
»Two (2) HID bulbs, two (2) ballast, two (2) sets of relays and connectors.
»Easy to follow "Plug and Play" installation with color-coded connectors.
»Same function and intensity as factory HID system in luxury imports
»Fit all cars and motorcycles.

Note: One Pair / All installaion hardware is included / For most car, truck and SUV

There is also a wealth of info on this site:

www.hidforum.com

I recently learned that HID retrofit kits were illegal for sale in the US, however, I was still able to find a kit, and so should you as well. I will try to post pics of my 4runner with HID on soon.

Here is a temp stock photo>
Attached Thumbnails '03 lo beams are LOW-catz_hidkit.jpg  
Old 10-31-2003, 02:13 PM

Here is another temp. Stock photo:
Attached Images