YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
edit... n/m
Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
bracing for epic 10" sas and undersized tires.

ROFLMAO ... oh this brings back memories of my months in hawaii!!!!!!!!

HAWAII STYLE!!! MAHALO!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
awesome i cant wait for the snow i want to head up into the mountains and what not. do you think tire chains help much in deep snow on 31's?
I ran 31's for 3 yrs with full set of chains. It DOES help but not always. Some snow.. aka old snow.. the stuff thats been sitting forever, rained on, frozen, rained, frozen, rained, melted frozen, rained... haha you get the idea. It's a big difference in decently new snow. I pulled a fullsize 80's chevy on 35's up an embankment in fresh powder with all 4 chains on, no slip.

I've used my chains many times.

Someday you'll have the experience where you dont have to ask this question, you'll just know when chains help or wont make a difference. =)
Old 11-21-2009, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by YoterUp
we actually measured today with the front end mocked up with the front braket and a 1 inch shackel and i had 8 inches of lift more than stock and i barely cleared my 38.5 15.50 swampers so were doing 4 more inches up front. for a total of 12. and i got one more picture with my best friend in his chevy on 46s and my other buddy with his little yota on 29s.... haha

This is a joke right?

8 inches over stock didnt clear 38.5 15,50 boggers? I run 37's on 5" and clear fine with a minor body modding. And the body modding was only because I had to put my front axle further back than I had liked. Cant exactly move a rear spring tube forward in the frame after is welded in. Sigh...

I think you just want to be rediculously tall on the highway, like... Hawaii status. Oh I recall my time i lived in hawaii, i remember a guy who home-fabbed.. well, who knows, it was a lifted something or other.. fell a part on the highway, killed him and killed the oncoming poor bastard. Sad =( ... GOTTA BE TALL TO BE COOL! ... I will never forget the 18" home-fab bracket IFS lift and 44's (and no rear supports!)... 1987ish 4runner i saw... LOVE IT. Just dont come near me on the road, i do have a concealed

I GET IT how you "florida" boys do things so I'm not gonna bash your style (to late?) even tho I effing hate it LOL and think it's stupid. FLAME ON!

having said my peace... Goodluck. I guess Florida mudders don't really fit into the rest of the 'wheeling' crowd so well.

Must have to do with being able to crawl a mall the same as a mud pit.. maybe I'm wrong

Last edited by drew303; 11-21-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone sent these to the scary steering page yet?
http://128.83.80.193/scarysteering/

I said to get 1tons
If you drive easy, built toyota axles will hold up to 40s
If you drive
Originally Posted by YoterUp
i would also like to add my driving style is perfectly fine balls to the wall..
then you will break built toyota axles.

.......I cant wait to see your hi-steer
Old 11-21-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by whokrz

I said to get 1tons
If you drive easy, built toyota axles will hold up to 40s
If you drive then you will break built toyota axles.

.......I cant wait to see your hi-steer
you about dumb as it comes that truck has full hydrolic steering in the front of that axel i think it will be just fine....
Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
This is a joke right?

8 inches over stock didnt clear 38.5 15,50 boggers? I run 37's on 5" and clear fine with a minor body modding. And the body modding was only because I had to put my front axle further back than I had liked. Cant exactly move a rear spring tube forward in the frame after is welded in. Sigh...

I think you just want to be rediculously tall on the highway, like... Hawaii status. Oh I recall my time i lived in hawaii, i remember a guy who home-fabbed.. well, who knows, it was a lifted something or other.. fell a part on the highway, killed him and killed the oncoming poor bastard. Sad =( ... GOTTA BE TALL TO BE COOL! ... I will never forget the 18" home-fab bracket IFS lift and 44's (and no rear supports!)... 1987ish 4runner i saw... LOVE IT. Just dont come near me on the road, i do have a concealed

I GET IT how you "florida" boys do things so I'm not gonna bash your style (to late?) even tho I effing hate it LOL and think it's stupid. FLAME ON!

having said my peace... Goodluck. I guess Florida mudders don't really fit into the rest of the 'wheeling' crowd so well.

Must have to do with being able to crawl a mall the same as a mud pit.. maybe I'm wrong

im running TSL's not boggers even though that really doesnt matter i did fit them but i didnt clear them im not a fan of putting 38s on my truck and having half the tire stuck up in the wheel well. i would rather have enough lift to sit right on top of the tires. and the "wheeling" croud we dont fit into is beacuse we dont like yall.. you live in a whole differant world you have hills mountains desert rocks maybe a little clay if you are from georgia we dont have any of that. we have swaps and deep water mudd holes like i sad 6 foot deep sometimes. on our trail are trucks arent built to be as functional as yours to climb and flex we dont need it its got to be big with alot of power with the biggest tires you can run to make it to the other side of the trail or lake.. you all should check out TRUCKSGONEWILD.com. its a whole bunch of movies based in florida with a bunch of our trucks and how we roll. i bet you would see some stuff you have never seen before.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:45 AM

http://128.83.80.193/scarysteering/ is not just about steering. Its a page with pictures of sketchy mods. I'm pretty sure it makes the grade.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 AM

Wow. Thank you so much. I haven't enjoyed a website that much since I found Yotatech.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 AM

lol yes i just spent the last hour reading through that web page. Awesome stuff, his commentary is priceless !

It never stops amazing me, spend all that money on a show truck and not use hydraulics for the steering. Show trucks are completely pointless
Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one and they all stink.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey drew i have replaced cv's and my knuckle on my ifs and thats annoying to do and i know sfa wont be much better but it is stronger with birfs than ifs cv's running 35's. btw when i sas i am putting longs in asap as i have found that in the long run i will need them so they are getting factored in the cost of my sas. if i was running 33's i prob wouldn't do longs right away.

about the snow only reason i asked was because i have never drove my truck in deep snow before as i am only 17 lol. drove my moms jeep in about 8"s of snow but that was on a street haha. so thats why i asked about it.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM

Sas breaks

I need to know if its possable to use your calipers and roters off a 1990 toyta IFS on a 84 toyota front axel? and if it is can someone tell me how? pics woudl help.... Also i was wondering if anyone knew where to find a break down diagram for a 1990 toyota stearing box? thank you
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Here is some info on ifs calipers and rotors on a sfa. This will widen the front axle to match an ifs rear axle.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...spacers-59071/

On my front axle I have ifs calipers, FJ60 rotors and 1.5" wheel spacers. This will also widen the front axle to match an ifs rear axle.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/d...rotor-standard
http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/wh...pattern-toyota

I saw a guy at my buddies house that did it without wheel spacers and shaved down the caliper to the point that it looked unsafe and very thin. I offered him my spare ifs calipers for free, but he said that it should be fine

I am not sure how they run the brakes on diamond axles. I would think that there would be a way to run the knuckles, brakes and calipers without wheel spacers, but I have not run across it yet.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Break down diagram for a 1990 toyota stearing box
http://ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995_4Rn...ste/power0.pdf

From http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Yeah, v6 or 4cyl calipers is what everyone puts on their toyota front axels. You need FJ60 front vented rotors to make it work.

How? Well, you take the studs out of the old non vented rotor.. or put in new ones when you put on the new vented fj60 rotor. Then bolt on the IFS calipers. Hook up the lines, bleed, your set

Try googling "1993 Toyota FSM" .. it'll guide you do a set of pdf's of a 93 Factory Service Manual which will have the steering box diagramed.

I cant find the link on Yotatech anymore, i think they snarfed the sticky with FSM links i dont know why
Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM

thank you i told the guy building my truck there was a way to do it i just didnt know how he said he has never herd of a way... the breaks that are on the front axel now are the old solid rotor type and it doesnt seem to stop to well i got to test drive it today with the SAS installed it rode NICE compared to the IFS im attaching pics....

Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good! front hanger looks kinda funny imo but it looks like a good job!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM

It looks good. Does not look like 10" of lift though, looks around 6"
Why did you bend the drag link? I had a fj80 axle that this was done to in order to go under the springs.
In the picture it looks like if you get much up travel on the passenger side the drag link is going to contact the oil pan.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM

It looks good. Does not look like 10" of lift though, looks around 6"
Why did you bend the drag link? I had a fj80 axle that this was done to in order to go under the springs.
In the picture it looks like if you get much up travel on the passenger side the drag link is going to contact the oil pan.
i really cant say why he did it that way i can ask him tomorrow but i know i looked at it and its not as close as it looks in the picture. all in all im happy with the out come i test drove it today and there is a cupple kinks to work out my stearing arm was a little to long so hes cutting it down an inch it was affecting my turn radius then my carrier barring on the rear drive shaft was bad before the lift but now that its lifted its putting more strain on it and making it bend up and tap on the housing and Advanced auto parts is trying to make a killing on that part they want 120$ just to replace the barring. then the brakes arent how i like them i mean they stop its just not as well as i hoped.. but for the price i paid and the ammount of lift i cannot complain at all..

Quick Reply: YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread