86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotagoon's 1986 4runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ouch on the broken wrist and the pins. I almost had to get pins when I broke my wrist. You will be able to feel the weather changes at times. Broken bones have away letting you know when it is coming. Hope to hear you heal up fast.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any more pics??
Old 04-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yotagoon
Yea its all part of racing/riding. Its not if your gonna crash but when. They put 3 wires and a pin to hold it together for now.
I'm thinking grey dash pad, black vents, and black dash or vice-versa. I like contrast and not to have 2 parts with the same color touching. At least thats what i did when i had my bike powder-coated.
That dash combo is gonna look sweet. I like it. Ive had good luck with the Duplicolor vinyl paint that you can get at your local auto parts store.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry i'm sure latter on down the road i'm going to hate cold weather. Broken bones that have healed make for some stiff joints. I'm going to try your bondo trick on the cracks in the dash pad.
I'll post some before and after pictures.

Been busy with community service lately. My high school requires 20 hours to graduate. I'm going to try to get a couple buddies to help me paint the dash and get the intake side of the motor back together.

Hit another snag... My buddy rounded off the bolts that hold the down pipe to the exhaust manifold on the parts truck. The manifold on the runner i'm fixing up had the carburetor style one with no hole for the o2 sensor. I'm thinking about just ordering one off ebay and worry with that pain once my wrist is healthy.

On another note: A boy i know has been wanting to know how much i wanted for the rear end out of the parts truck. I told him 200 bucks. That was a rough guess of what i think its worth. I guess i'm coming out on top in that deal.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM

I have also came to the conclusion that this truck is going to be the perfect bon fire party vehicle. Back up to the fire, drop the tailgate, then if you cant drive home you have a full in-colsed truck bed to pass out in out of the elements. That is if you don't have a back seat like mine.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM

I have also came to the conclusion that this truck is going to be the perfect bon fire party vehicle. Back up to the fire, drop the tailgate, then if you cant drive home you have a full in-colsed truck bed to pass out in out of the elements. That is if you don't have a back seat like mine.
This is one of the reasons I like the 4runners so much is because it converts basically into a bed. I really want to camping and sleep out of the back of it.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Made some progress today.

Name:  Picture113_zps4452bfc3.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  Picture114_zps4889b9c9.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  43.2 KB

I dont know what this plastic piece is called but i need to get it off to get to all the rust.
Name:  Picture115_zps5a1168ab.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  39.0 KB

Also how do you get these L shaped metal pieces of?
Name:  Picture116_zpsac437975.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM

Sun glare blocker flip down things cleaned up with some purple power but i still hated the brown so it got sprayed with the same black thats on the dash. Forgot to take one after i painted it tho.
Name:  Picture111_zps87931615.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  Picture112_zpsa2f7d8b0.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  79.0 KB

IDK what to do about these back quarters. I'm debating on either fender flares, patch panels or have my buddies dad fab something up. I just want the rust gone and solid metal back in, it doesn't have to be perfect since.
Name:  Picture117_zps8e3424b8.jpg
Size:  16.5 KB
Name:  Picture098_zps8c79e825.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  42.4 KB
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM

Sun glare blocker flip down things cleaned up with some purple power but i still hated the brown so it got sprayed with the same black thats on the dash. Forgot to take one after i painted it tho.

IDK what to do about these back quarters. I'm debating on either fender flares, patch panels or have my buddies dad fab something up. I just want the rust gone and solid metal back in, it doesn't have to be perfect since.
I had the same problem with rust on my drivers side rear fender. Like you, I have little to none body experience. A buddy of mine done the sheet metal work. The pics are in my build thread. After getting done with the rest of the here and there body work and paint, the fenders were the part I was most satisfied with lol.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM

You could tub it i you wanted. That's what I did. Check out my build thread, I think I have pics of it in there. If not I can send you some. Where are you located? I'll help anyway that I can.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Get with kornhuskerwizard on the L shaped brackets. I believe he got some from kyleb and knows how to take them off.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Gizler thanks for the offer. I'll ask my body guy about tubbing it and how much that would run me. Shouldn't be to much since he's a good friend. I would do it myself and just have him there to help when i need it but i want it on the road a-s-a-please since the weather is warming up.
Piecing together and painting the interior right now, then i'll focus on the motor and after that all the exterior stuff. I know thats kinda in reverse process but i cant turn wrenches to well right now so i'm doing the light easy stuff first.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM

I hear you man. I can send you some links that I used when tubbing mine out. It was fairly easy just a little time consuming. And looking back at it now, I wish I would have spent more time than I did on it.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 PM

I'll take you up on that one. I appreciate the help.
I wish someone like you was in charge of my auto class because mine instructor is a joke. He claims to have been a toyota guru back in the 90's but half the time i ask him questions his response is its been so long since i've messed with them idk. When i hauled my yota in to have my instructor take a look at it all he could say was how many parts and pieces i was missing, how pushing it in and out of the shop everyday would suck, how bad the interior was bla bla bla. So i took it back home and got on yotatech.
Just thought i'd share that.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 AM

I'll take you up on that one. I appreciate the help.
I wish someone like you was in charge of my auto class because mine instructor is a joke. He claims to have been a toyota guru back in the 90's but half the time i ask him questions his response is its been so long since i've messed with them idk. When i hauled my yota in to have my instructor take a look at it all he could say was how many parts and pieces i was missing, how pushing it in and out of the shop everyday would suck, how bad the interior was bla bla bla. So i took it back home and got on yotatech.
Just thought i'd share that.

Im sorry to hear that. One of my auto students was interested in getting a toyota after he saw mine and helped me work on it. I encouraged him to find something, running or not, and help him fix it up.

He found an 86 4Runner in Kansas city, that didnt run and had been sitting for 6months +

I showed him how to do the head gasket and everything to get it running. HAd a few bumps along the way, like a stripped out head bolt threads, spark knock, and a few other issues.

Ended up getting another engine for him from a local yard, that we tore down and did a new timing kit, HG, oil pan/pickup tube 2wd-4wd swap, did some painting, etc.....

Now hes been driving it everyday for about a month.

I feel bad that your teacher is unwilling to help you. But again, I will help you as much as I can from here. Ill PM you my number.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM

Got the rest of my dash parts painted, rubber trim pieces, floor pans, the bed, and took the doors off the parts truck and got them painted as well. I'll post some pictures. Hopefully i can get the dash back in tomorrow if i can get some help from my buddy.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Before:
Name:  Picture122_zps29be4789.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  62.5 KB
After:
Name:  Picture126_zpsdde66cae.jpg
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  Picture125_zpsbf2e488b.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  60.1 KB
I was up under the truck working some navel jelly on some rust and found this with the key inside! I wonder how long that had been sitting on top of the frame ?
Name:  Picture124_zps94fae301.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  44.1 KB
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Glad to hear you are still getting work done on your rig.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Looks great man!!! Did you remove the factory sound deadening in the wheel wells? That was a killer for me when I did my bedliner on the floor. A water leak worked its wan underneath the bedliner and started to peel it up. Im going to have to redo it at some point. Also the back area looks amazing! I might have missed it somewhere in your thread, bu what did you spray/roll on it.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM

I used a wire wheel on a drill to get the sticky stuff of the wheel wells. In the front i washed it out and where ever water was getting under the sound deadening stuff i chipped it out. There was rust under it so i had to scrub it with some navel jelly. I used the rustoleum spray. My buddy used it on his jeep and said it worked better than the more expensive stuff. It's like 7 bucks and lowes. I'll get some pictures of the doors tomorrow.

Quick Reply: yotagoon's 1986 4runner Build