86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yota864x4's suprunner build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Black is a color the body work has to be perfect or it will show any imperfections. I think a black runner looks great, just not brave enoughto paint one black,yet.lol.

On my 88 Runner build on the first page, I have listed the page and post on where to find ways of fixing thing for little to no cost. I have two runners and both were what most people would of parted or scrapped. I have been adding information that I find on my builds to the 88, trying to make it a thread with some useful how to information and where to find it. There are ways of keeping these builds cheap and I am determined to find it.
Oh I know what you mean!! If I attempt the black I'm going to to have to have everything straight on it. It also doesn't help that I'm ocd about those things and it would bother me forever if there was one little ding lol I'm kind tempted to spray paint it gloss black. I did my lost yota orange and it turned out good lol still deciding

Ill have to check all your threads!! Maybe even borrow some ideas lol cheap fixing is always the way to go haha! Why spend a lot of money when you can the same thing for way cheap? Haha
Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Well yall, I made a pull and save run a couple days ago. Didn't get much as I was on a limited time frame. I did find a 89 supra with a 7mge with 61000 miles completly intact!! I almost took the engine as a spare lol I don't think it would have fit in my geo good though

Well here's what I did get, the speakers are for the front because it never had any up there lol
Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice score on the speakers... are you planning to find a spot on the runner to put the supra emblem? I couldn't resist putting the 5.0 on mine (made it my avatar, lol) nice work on the fender trim work too!

Last edited by rustED; 07-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice score on the speakers... are you planning to find a spot on the runner to put the supra emblem? I couldn't resist on mine (made it my avitar, lol) nice work on the fender trim work too!
Thanks ed! I haven't totally decided yet on the placement of the supra emblem but I'm thinking either the same spot you did or on the left right next to it. What you think? But I know what you mean, as soo as I saw it I had to have it lol the fender trimming turned out a lot better than I thought! The drivers rear still has some but not near as much as before I trimmed lol
Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 PM

Yeah I think it would look good to the left of the 4 runner emblem. I put mine on with the idea of it being temporary,(i kinda like the idea of it being a sleeper, no one knowing that i got a V8 in it, but the sound of the exhaust is a dead give away, lol) I was just doing it for the picture to make my avatar, and I just used black silicone to hold it in place, but it stuck on there pretty good, now I am just to lazy to take it off, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 07-15-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:21 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking also. I know exactly how you feel, mine is really quiet and just sounds like a 3.slow at first until I get on it lol but I like this emblem because its really small so people wouldn't really notice it at first lol I think yours is awesome though! I'm surprised how well it fits and works right there lol
Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks, the guy I bought my parts truck from that originally had the 302 in it, he had the 5.0 emblems on the front fenders, but I thought it was a little to noticeable, lol... but I think yours would look sweet with that on there. ( not on the fenders, but where you mentioned, lol) What do you have planned next for it?

Last edited by rustED; 07-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 7m runner? Nice! Does it pull good enough?

I'd love to see more pics of the engine bay, I'm considering this swap.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Thanks, the guy I bought my parts truck from that originally had the 302 in it, he had the 5.0 emblems on the front fenders, but I thought it was a little to noticeable, lol... but I think yours would look sweet with that on there. ( not on the fenders, but where you mentioned, lol) What do you have planned next for it?
Haha on the fenders is almost just too much of a giveaway though, like you said its got to be somewhat sleeper! Idk what's next for the runner exactly. I think mostly just working out kinks and changing things to better suit me is the main for right now. I think I may some coils for the rear to lift it more and then crank the tbars and try and get 35s on it. I can get ahold of at least one set of 4.56s so just got to find another set. Eventually I want to put some dana 44s under it if not a 14 bolt in the rear and shoot for maybe 38s with 63s out back and rufs in the front! Lol I'm only dreaming right now though

Originally Posted by streetlancer
A 7m runner? Nice! Does it pull good enough?

I'd love to see more pics of the engine bay, I'm considering this swap.
I love this engine!! It pulls really good, imo. I really like it because its a lot more common, at least in my area than a 1jz or a 2jz. The po told me he got low 20 mpg with it so that's nice. Every hill I have tried I've been able to beat in fifth gear with not a problem. Its awesome. I can spin the tires if I need too and I can show up them little ricer kids, one of my favorite parts. If you did the swap you wouldn't be dissapointed at all. Sure! I can take some pics if you want! Is there any certain ones that you want? Just let me know!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
i'd like to see some pics too....
what size exhaust are you running? i've got 2.5 on mine and i think its too big, sounds a little ricey. i'm thinking of redoing it with 2 1/4
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
what size exhaust are you running? i've got 2.5 on mine and i think its too big, sounds a little ricey. i'm thinking of redoing it with 2 1/4
Haha ok, ill have to get on them pics. Ill see what I can do tonight but definetly tomorrow. I think that I have 2.5 but its funny you say it sounds ricey. I'm still deciding if I want to put 3 inch straight pipe on it with a fart can on the end lol
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Well me, my girlfriend and her dad are going riding today for her birthday and I had no way of hauling a bike, so I made the runner into a pickup lol actually worked good and the runner handled it like a pro

Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM

As requested, here are some pictures of the engine bay. I was in a rush so if there are others needed just let me know

This one is just showing the supra radiator that was fit in to keep it cool

This one is just showing the location of the two pusher fans behind the grill
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by yota864x4
Haha ok, ill have to get on them pics. Ill see what I can do tonight but definetly tomorrow. I think that I have 2.5 but its funny you say it sounds ricey. I'm still deciding if I want to put 3 inch straight pipe on it with a fart can on the end lol
Too late!! I already pulled the trigger on a 2.5 magnaflow muffler! Bummer!
You guys running cats? I'm thinking of getting a new one.

I think 3" is overkill, unless you're planning to turbo.
Nice pics, however, I want MORE! (If it's allright with you.) Got any oil pan pics? Clutch system pics? Exhaust routing pics? Power steering pics? A/C? I need the whole enchilada! LOL.

Last edited by streetlancer; 07-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:32 AM

^^^ my 2.5" doesn't have a cat, you gotta be careful going too big with N/a engines, it starts working against you eventually. i'm no expert tho and there's plenty of opinions to both ends. as for me, i think i'm gonna redo mine with 2 1/4.
thanks for the pics, your engine bay looks way less clustered than mine. do those pusher fans keep it cool when your wheelin? I just got a 3 row all alum. radiator so i hope my cooling issues are over.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Too late!! I already pulled the trigger on a 2.5 magnaflow muffler! Bummer!
You guys running cats? I'm thinking of getting a new one.

I think 3" is overkill, unless you're planning to turbo.
Nice pics, however, I want MORE! (If it's allright with you.) Got any oil pan pics? Clutch system pics? Exhaust routing pics? Power steering pics? A/C? I need the whole enchilada! LOL.
Haha lucky for you I like enchiladas! But I can do that, it will prolly be tomorrow if that works but I will try to get pics of everything I can think of. One thing I don't have is a/c. I read somewhere you can't do it with this swap because the a/c compressor hits the frame rail so I'm set to prove them wrong. I don't see why a bracket couldn't be made to fit in?

^^^ my 2.5" doesn't have a cat, you gotta be careful going too big with N/a engines, it starts working against you eventually. i'm no expert tho and there's plenty of opinions to both ends. as for me, i think i'm gonna redo mine with 2 1/4.
thanks for the pics, your engine bay looks way less clustered than mine. do those pusher fans keep it cool when your wheelin? I just got a 3 row all alum. radiator so i hope my cooling issues are over.
Hmmm I never cam across that in my research. Ill have to do some more research before I actually do it! I found a video on youtube of how I want is so ill have to post that up.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 PM

^ No problem, take your time. I'm just interested to see how others did the swap.

From the reading I've done in supra forums I get mixed reviews. Some guys say 2.5 is the best; others stick with 2.25. The general consensus for the n/a 7m seems to be between 2-2.5. Then, on the other hand, you get people that say backpressure is just BS & you should go big or go home.

My thinking is that if I went with 2.5 & added a cat & muffler for backpressure I should be fine.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 AM

From the reading I've done in supra forums I get mixed reviews. Some guys say 2.5 is the best; others stick with 2.25. The general consensus for the n/a 7m seems to be between 2-2.5. Then, on the other hand, you get people that say backpressure is just BS & you should go big or go home.

My thinking is that if I went with 2.5 & added a cat & muffler for backpressure I should be fine.
yea that's about what i found too. backpressure is part of it but there's also something to say about the velocity of the air, the air moves slower in a big exhaust which can actually create more restriction and also doesn't move heat away from the engine as well. ideal is to find a happy medium between restrictive and overkill. if a guy wanted to do this right he would go talk to a performance shop cuz that's exactly what they do when the "tune" exhausts. most of us aren't willing to go to that extent. i think you'd be ok with a 2.5 but better with a 2 1/4 but like i said i'm no expert just sharing the info i've stumbled across. i also hate the sound of mine with 2.5, its really raspy at high rpms. i realize thats just my opinion tho, some guys like that

Last edited by liveoffroad; 07-19-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 PM

I'm sorry!! I totally forgot to answer your question haha I haven't done much wheeling with it beside a little trail here and there and a parade with the off road club but she seems to stay cool. I do only have the stock temp guage but the fans move A LOT of air lol we will see here soon how good they are!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM

^ No problem, take your time. I'm just interested to see how others did the swap.
As you requested, here is the rest of the enchilada!!

Exhaust coming off the manifold and crossing over behind the transfer case

Going to the cat (not pictured) and the dynomax muffler

Fan control (not a fan of it or that the fan wired straight to the battery)

Mess of heater lines and hoses

Ps resevoir

Ps pump

Steering box

The two oily lines go from the pump to the steering box

Oil pan pics. Its been beat in some places and cut and welded in others

Last edited by yota864x4; 07-19-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: yota864x4's suprunner build up thread