86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yota864x4's suprunner build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yota864x4's suprunner build up thread

hey yall, i locked my keys into my car and had to break into my apt so im not going anywhere soon lol i figured it was a great time to start a build thread!

im apologizing now for so many pictures.... lol just be warned

anyways, ive been mobbing around in a geo metro, pure beast is what it is, i dont see why people hate so much lol i found this gem one day, well my gf did to be exact and i was like oh cool, a 4runner. i had to take a double take at the for sale sign and it said 7mge, i immediately turned around and went and knocked on the door. the guy was super nice, i started asking questions and crawling underneath of it and it was clean! so anyways a month went by of me getting denied for loans so the guy said he didnt want anyone to have it but me so he said i could make payments to him.

just to make me feel better i had to sell this for a down payment

so now i own a 4runner lol i love it, way better than my old single cab 86. the first thing i did was remove the hanging rusted through back bumper. ps the back up lights were never wired in and looked weird and were off center, they are now gone haha

just some other shots

it has electric bucket seats from a supra swapped in, i would have taken a picture but they are torn and ugly lol

this is my favorite part lol

thanks for reading! hope it wasnt too much right off lol
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM

today i decided was clean up the wheels day, i went to walmart and got some of their 96 cent gloss spray paint. it held up really well only last yota so i thought id give it a shot again lol i went over them and scratched them good with a scotch brite and now this

the center caps are rusty and i read somewhere that crumpled tin foil works great on the rusty chrome so i thought i would give i a go

heres before

and here is after

turned out a little better if you ask me lol ill finish up tomorrow on the others

Last edited by yota864x4; 06-15-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like you got a solid little truck there. I didnt know of the aluminum foil trick. Thanks, that was a nice tip.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Looks like you got a solid little truck there. I didnt know of the aluminum foil trick. Thanks, that was a nice tip.
thanks! its going to be a lot of fun. im trying to get it looking better for the offroad clubs swapmeet and show and shine lol glad i could with the tin foil trick!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Supra engine? The wheels look great. I think I heard the foil trick before but totally forgot. I have a little rust outbreak on my center caps. Great tip.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Supra engine? The wheels look great. I think I heard the foil trick before but totally forgot. I have a little rust outbreak on my center caps. Great tip.
yea, lol well i guess it also came in the cressida but it sounds cooler saying its from teh supra lol its the 7mge. i kind of want to find a parts supra with the 7mgte, then the engine will be built for boost and i can have most all i need for the swap. just an idea lol and thanks! i was suprised that the foil trick actually worked lol

sad news though, im pretty sure that the starter went out on me. i guess i will be pulling that and taking it in to get a new one lol lucky me!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice 4 runner. What's the power difference feel like with the 7mge compared to a 22re or 3.0?

On the starter, I would check the contacts, 9 times out of 10 they are worn down, its an cheap an easy fix.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice 4 runner. What's the power difference feel like with the 7mge compared to a 22re or 3.0?

On the starter, I would check the contacts, 9 times out of 10 they are worn down, its an cheap an easy fix.
i had the 22r in my last yota and the way i drove it i liked it but needed more power lol having only driven this on the test drive (po was with me so i didnt get on it too much) and then to my apt like 30 mins away, i basically love it! so much more power lol i had to dart between a couple cars and was second, punched the gas and spun the tires lol i read its like 114(22re) compared to 200 hp(7m)

thanks for the tip! when i get in and turn on the key, all dash lights come on good but when i try to start there is just the one click and that is it. i dont know what that would be. sometimes the old hammer on the starter trick works, but not often. ideas? still contacts?

Last edited by yota864x4; 06-18-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM

another question to people who may be reading, i really like the hot wheels, anti-freeze green color! but i have only seen it on a dodge pickup. ive tried searching but to no avail lol does anyone out there happen to have this paint scheme on a 1st gen runner? or any other vehicles? thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Try cleaning your starter wire connections and see if that helps. I am having the same problem with my 88 truck. I have a spare starter ane will just put it in but will look at the contacts when I get the old one out and see what they look like. I find anything will pass it on. Might be awhile though.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:43 PM

Hey thanks for the help terry! I actually figured out what was wrong, it turned out that it was a bad battery! who would have thought? Lol

Now im off to a new problem. It acted like a fuel pump relay, so me and a friend got two common relays and wired them in (i didnt want to pay the one hundred for a toyota one) and it worked great again. We were on our way to work and we got a dead peddle and it wouldnt start back up, we ended up just jumpering the terminals and it has been doing awesome. I got to looking under the hood and there is a lot of sketchy wiring... I knew it was there but not this bad lol I think and hope the culprit is the wiring connectors that they used and they arent getting a good connection and that is making the mass air flow not send right... Wish me luck!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:24 PM

well yall, its been awhile since an update. i got some little things done, ive just been working on wiring and getting it figured out and fixed so its less sketchy.

the po liked to use a lot of these clips, a no go in my book

there was a lot of rust around the wheel wells so i pulled out the trust sawzall

i decided it would rather have some bump in the runner rather than the geo so it all got moved over. it was only a hundred dollars for the subs, box, amp and deck. id say i got a steal

at a local junkyard i found a third brake light so i took it. i mostly used it to cover up holes from the backup lights the po put on until i decide i want a different top

last night me and my girlfriend went up hiking at some waterfalls and ended up finding some trails also and watching a fireworks show. all in all it was pretty fun

Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like a fun runner! congrats on the find. what are your plans with it? any build ideas, or just keep it going and enjoy it?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by thspittingllama
looks like a fun runner! congrats on the find. what are your plans with it? any build ideas, or just keep it going and enjoy it?
Oh it really is! And thanks I think mostly for right now its just driving it and having fun. In the long run I'm thinking Dana 44 axles, turbo, engine rebuild, make it look nice lol
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
subscribed! cool truck, we are brothers! i'm interested to know what radiator was used in your swap, do you have any details? i'm dealing with some cooling issues on mine....
nice work on the fenders, i need to trim some rust myself
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
subscribed! cool truck, we are brothers! i'm interested to know what radiator was used in your swap, do you have any details? i'm dealing with some cooling issues on mine....
nice work on the fenders, i need to trim some rust myself
Haha nice! Its always good to see brother runner

I was told that it was the stock radiator out of the same 88 supra that the engine came frond. Then there are two pusher electric fans that move quite a bit of air. I was going to pull and repaint the grille today so I can try to get you some pics
Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just catching up on your thread. Those wiring connectors brought back nightmares. Those cause a lot of problems.

On the green you were talking about, I have seen a couple of truck with it on here. I think you have to scan the members list and there is a bunch, but seems like I seen two of them.

My 86 runner is identical to yours, it was black trim but I went with chrome as I had all of the chrome and was missing black pieces. Your build isnt helping me any with my itch to get it done. lol Looking forward to your build.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Just catching up on your thread. Those wiring connectors brought back nightmares. Those cause a lot of problems.

On the green you were talking about, I have seen a couple of truck with it on here. I think you have to scan the members list and there is a bunch, but seems like I seen two of them.

My 86 runner is identical to yours, it was black trim but I went with chrome as I had all of the chrome and was missing black pieces. Your build isnt helping me any with my itch to get it done. lol Looking forward to your build.
oh i know, everywhere that i look and there was some wiring changed or added, there is those connectors. im slowly getting rid of the darned things.

thanks for the tip! ill have to take some time and do some digging around i guess lol its a toss up between that color and black.

ill have to go check out your thread! maybe get me some ideas for my own runner lol thanks for the comment and help
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM

well i spent some time today vacuuming out the whole thing as it was full of grass and other dirty things. i also got the front chrome hubs completly cleaned up and shining again just using the tin foil trick, theres still some rust but nothing like it used to be! no pics but maybe later lol

i also decided that it was time to go ahead and fix the mess of wiring going on and get rid of the sketchy clips the po liked. i relocated and lost about 2 and a half feet of wiring, much better
Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Black is a color the body work has to be perfect or it will show any imperfections. I think a black runner looks great, just not brave enoughto paint one black,yet.lol.

On my 88 Runner build on the first page, I have listed the page and post on where to find ways of fixing thing for little to no cost. I have two runners and both were what most people would of parted or scrapped. I have been adding information that I find on my builds to the 88, trying to make it a thread with some useful how to information and where to find it. There are ways of keeping these builds cheap and I am determined to find it.

Quick Reply: yota864x4's suprunner build up thread