86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Speedcrazy's 94 Pickup REV 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it does do it at full lock as well and is a little worse when just going straight. Mine are in desperate need of replacement, I have all the parts just haven't been able to do it yet. It was like that when I got it but I'd be willing to bet thats how mine started out when the PO had it. Im guessing yours are on their way out.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dswag
Yes it does do it at full lock as well and is a little worse when just going straight. Mine are in desperate need of replacement, I have all the parts just haven't been able to do it yet. It was like that when I got it but I'd be willing to bet thats how mine started out when the PO had it. Im guessing yours are on their way out.
Shoot. I didn't want to hear that. But thanks for telling me.
So here is the plan of action as of 30 seconds ago.
#1. Save Money
#2. Tires
#3. Save Money
#4. Replace balljoints etc. and front shocks. Basically do everything i can to prevent having to get in there for a while.
#5. Save Money
#6. Springs. and rear shocks.
#7. Go back to saving and scheming.

Actually... since i need to dig into the front end.. if i could combine steps # 4 & 6 i could do a small lift... MAybe 1" BJ lift in front and those OME 1.75" springs in back... feasible?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
here is an option. I have no idea on the quality.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIT-STEERING-SUSPENSION-TOYOTA-4RUNNER-4WD-BALL-ENDS-RACK-ENDS-PITMAN-IDLER-ARM-/220898945642?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item336e9a6a6a&vxp=mtr
Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by bone collector
here is an option. I have no idea on the quality.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIT-STEERING...9a6a6a&vxp=mtr
I saw that on eBay as well. I didn't buy that most though because I was unsure of the quality and don't want to have to do it again in 10,000 miles.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay Away from that EBay stuff.... I bought a kit identical to that and the only thing that fit my truck was the upper BJ's... The tie rids had backward threads and the lower BJ's would bolt up.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the review. I wont recommend that again
Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the advice y'all.
So as far as the front end goes i am looking for what?
Ball joints, pitman arms, idler arms, tie-rods... i'm reading the components list on that kit. What do y'all recommend i hit whilst i'm in there, i don't want to have to pull it apart again for a while.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM

I just ordered all my stuff from rockauto.com and am pretty please with them. I got upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm and a pitman arm. Next up is shocks. I was pretty surprised how quickly my parts came from them as well and everything was right the first time.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM

I just ordered all my stuff from rockauto.com and am pretty please with them. I got upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm and a pitman arm. Next up is shocks. I was pretty surprised how quickly my parts came from them as well and everything was right the first time.
Cool, i'll take a look at them.
How does the quality look? And how were the prices?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Prices were decent just gotta watch what you order bc some of the stuff on there is decent quality and some didn't look like it was. They don't carry OEM but I ordered alot of Moog stuff.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 AM

There was an article in 4wd Toyota owner magazine a few issues ago highlighting this exact thing. They got all Moog stuff except for the idler arm. They got that from Autozone because it is beefier than stock. Good article. Try to find it
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Prices were decent just gotta watch what you order bc some of the stuff on there is decent quality and some didn't look like it was. They don't carry OEM but I ordered alot of Moog stuff.
Hmm.. i am leery of straying from OEM, but i have heard mainly good stuff about MOOG.
There was an article in 4wd Toyota owner magazine a few issues ago highlighting this exact thing. They got all Moog stuff except for the idler arm. They got that from Autozone because it is beefier than stock. Good article. Try to find it
So MOOG, is the way to go eh? Are those articles available online? And any idea as to the name/issue of that particular article, searching magazine articles by a vague idea of the content may take a while.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been happy with moog suspension stuff. rock auto is great until a part orders from a different shipping location on a multiple part order.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 AM

The article is in the May/June 2013 it has a Yellow FJ cruiser on the cover. I don't believe their articles are available online. See if you can find it. Very helpful. And it should tell you something about the quality of Moog if a national Toyota only magazine recommends them.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM

The article is in the May/June 2013 it has a Yellow FJ cruiser on the cover. I don't believe their articles are available online. See if you can find it. Very helpful. And it should tell you something about the quality of Moog if a national Toyota only magazine recommends them.
Thanks, i took a look at the county library but they don't have any issues at all. Will have to start asking around.

Went to a friend's shop tonight and made some progress.
We checked the timing and reset it to 5 TDC from 8. Yes i did jump the electric timing.
We then fiddled with the idle till we got a sweet smooth 800rpm.
He had the bright idea to check my pcv valve... when we got it out(stubborn thing) it was so clogged it would barely rattle so he hit it with carb cleaner and compressed air. By the time he finished you could hear it rattle on the other side of the shop
But interestingly enough after we put it back in and readjusted the idle - it dropped about 300 rpm after that cleaning!! - i now have a ticking in the crank case. We stethoscope-d it and it is worst around the second cylinder but fairly obvious all over. Stumped us both... what could we have screwed while messing with the pcv valve? At first we figured it was because of the weird hill we were on, but when i pulled out of his drive onto the flat it was still there, just quieter...
However, the idle is now low and smooth and i have a noticeable improvement in throttle response and acceleration. Drives like a dream, well more like one.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 PM

it is common for the 22re to need a valve adjustment. and very easy to do
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM

it is common for the 22re to need a valve adjustment. and very easy to do
Valve adjustment, meaning?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 PM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...nce/2maint.pdf

page MA 11 it starts on page 6 of 18 of this link.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 AM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...nce/2maint.pdf

page MA 11 it starts on page 6 of 18 of this link.
Thanks, i will definitely look into that. Probably won't attempt it by myself, but i could probably talk one of my more experienced friends into helping me.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Started flashing an intermittent CEL last night. Gonna see if i can pull it this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Speedcrazy's 94 Pickup REV 2.0