86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Speedcrazy's 94 Pickup REV 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine squealed for the longest time and I had to keep tightening up. Finally got tired of messing with it and put lots of lock tight on them. Haven't had a problem since and its been about 2 months.

87 4runner 22re 5speed *traded*
93 xtra-cab 22re 5speed
Old 11-27-2013, 06:17 PM

Ah, so you think its just the belt, not the bearing. That would be a weight off my mind.
In other news i REALLY need to get those tires, with all the rain i think i squealed the tires in first at every intersection and slid a good deal. Atleast it got me out of thanksgiving shopping.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Well it quit squeaking of its own accord. Not sure if that's good or not. Hopefully it was a result of the belt being wet. Going into town to hunt up a deal on tires in the morning, wish me luck.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Well that's good to hear that it went away, trust me I know how annoying it gets. I also love it when my truck fixes itself!

93 xtra-cab 22re 5speed
Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dswag
Well that's good to hear that it went away, trust me I know how annoying it gets. I also love it when my truck fixes itself!

93 xtra-cab 22re 5speed
It was annoying, but yet.. ehh.. it always worries me when something fixes itself. Cause i have no clue what it was or what was wrong with it, and whether its really fixed or not. Same reason i don't let other people work on my truck =p
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Okay... that was like pulling teeth.
Of the four tire places in town i got the following quotes:
#1: 712.80 installed
#2: 742.18 installed
#3: 785.58 installed
#4: 780.12 installed

So, given that #2 quoted me $760 for 35s last spring i thing there is a good deal of BS going on. Anyone know any reputable online places to buy tires.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM

So good news:
I have new shoes. Pics Saturday.

Bad news:
Passenger side front wheel bearing has a lot of play. That and the mechanic finished the job of stripping one of my corroded studs, so i have two missing lug nuts side byside, on the same wheel as has the bad bearing....

The bearing is not making any noise yet, so can i get away with tightening it or do i need to replace it?
Does anyone know where i can find some OEM wheel studs other than the stealership?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Tighten that hub MAN!!! I just did the same thing on my truck, takes about 20 minutes.

wheel studs:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...54_0_9393_4024
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by bone collector
Tighten that hub MAN!!! I just did the same thing on my truck, takes about 20 minutes.

wheel studs:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...54_0_9393_4024
Thanks man, did you follow a guide or just dive in? I've never messed with the hubs before. Did you have to repack the hub?
$2 a piece, screw the stealership!
I hope to get her back on the road Saturday at the latest Monday. Gonna try an not drive it till then as i don't want to mess with these new tires, especially with only 4 lugs..

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 12-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:41 PM

I have played with the hubs when I switched to the selectable hubs. Basically you need to pull off the selector plate, that has the 6 10mmbolts on it. pull off the outer housing that has 6 12 mm bolts. Tap the studs with a punch and a hammer to get out the cone washers. CAREFUL to not mess up the stud threads. behind that, there is a large nut with a lock ring. simply pull off the lock ring, then find some crescent wrench or large channel locks to tighten up the hub nut. BTW you will have to remove all of this and more to get to the wheel studs.......
Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...15componen.pdf
Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM

I have played with the hubs when I switched to the selectable hubs. Basically you need to pull off the selector plate, that has the 6 10mmbolts on it. pull off the outer housing that has 6 12 mm bolts. Tap the studs with a punch and a hammer to get out the cone washers. CAREFUL to not mess up the stud threads. behind that, there is a large nut with a lock ring. simply pull off the lock ring, then find some crescent wrench or large channel locks to tighten up the hub nut. BTW you will have to remove all of this and more to get to the wheel studs.......
Thanks man, i had that diagram already but you added some context for me. Any idea how tight the hub nut should be? Or just snug?
I'm looking at it and thinking i will try replacing the studs on the truck before i go tearing all that stuff off. If it doesn't work then i won't be out anything except time.
Do any of these steps require repacking the hub? I assume that taking the hub off will, but if i manage to avoid that i shouldn't have to mess with packing anything right?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Yes you can repack the bearings then. You will in order to replace the wheel studs, you will have to remove the hub and bearings to get to the studs. all in one shot. It really isn't as bad as you think
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...14freewhee.pdf

^^ more details on removal of freewheeling hub

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...8-4wds1212.pdf

^^ brake rotor removal.

Yes you will have to remove the brake rotor to replace the wheel studs. its no that bad
Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Well i am tearing into it. Gonna take it all apart then when i get a vehicle this afternoon run into town and get all the parts i need.
Anything special needed to repack bearings? Or just regular lithium grease and fingers?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Well this is going nowhere. Got the manual hub off but i can't get the brake caliper loose so the wheel hub is going nowhere... I have used half a bottle of pb blaster a breaker bar and broke a wrench. what fun. I can't even get the impact wrench at it, so i guess its just hurry up and wait while the pb blaster works.
Oh and my bottle of pb blaster has a retarded cheap head so first go round i shot a load right under my glasses and into my eye.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Got a propane torch? A little heat will help in this cold weather
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Got a propane torch? A little heat will help in this cold weather
It might, if it was cold. after two weeks of zero and subzero its 65F. But I don't have one either way. I might be able to borrow one, though won't it ignite all that pb-blaster and wd-40?

On the cone washers, i run the nuts out to the end of the bolt, place the punch against the nut and tap firmly until the cone washer comes loose? Just double checking as i don't want to screw anything up.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 AM

Take the nut all the way off. Place the punch against the stud and tap. If you leave the nut on, you put all the force against 2 or 3 threads and take a chance of screwing them up
Old 12-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Take the nut all the way off. Place the punch against the stud and tap. If you leave the nut on, you put all the force against 2 or 3 threads and take a chance of screwing them up
10-4. That worked a dream, tap -> pop.

I finally got the caliper loose, i think he musta used locktighte. Now breaking the brake line bracket loose so i can just swing it outta the way. While the pb blaster was soaking i went and borrowed a 54mm socket and a torque wrench(for reassembly).

Now having discovered what a pain this is i'm thinking, while i have all this stuff torn apart i might as well go ahead and clean and the surface rust off and repaint the a arms. Should a couple coats of rattle black after some time with a wire wheel be fine?

Quick Reply: Speedcrazy's 94 Pickup REV 2.0