86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 87' 4Runner Build

Old 12-01-2016, 11:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have never had a bad Cold Start Injector but have changed several CSI Timing Switches. Sometimes getting the scaling off of the sensor will fix the problem or times the sensor will not pass a resistance check and needs replaced. Anytime I am at the bone yard and see a Timing Switch, I will grab it. It is one sensor that does tend to fail. I have learned a lot on these threads.
How you making out on your Ford truck? I finally got a 76 Super Cab. It has a 460 in it. Takes up too much room and I thinking of going with a 300/6 with a manual transmission. 460 is going to be a gas hog. What would be your suggestion on the 300 with manual transmission? Think it will tow heavy loads? I not looking to win any races but want a heavy tow rig.
Hi Terry. Thanks for the info on the cold start injectors (and timing switch). That's good to know the the cold start injectors hold up well, if I ever come across a wrecked toyota at a pick-n-pull I'll have to remember to grab a spare CSI timing switch.

I haven't worked on my ford at all lately, haven't really driven it much, hoping to get back to working on it next summer. The 300/6 is a great motor, my dad has had several of them and always liked them. I've only had one, it was in my 2wd 96' ford f150 and it had a manuel 5spd. Mine was fuel injected, I only had it for about a year and a half and never towed anything with it, I ended up selling it to fund my 86' 4runner build. From what I've heard there are some easy mods to get a little more power out of them, they have good bottom end torque and can tow well, and can get decent gas mileage out of them, they're just not very fast, but that doesn't sound like it would be an issue for you. I saw a 76' crewcab 3/4 ton 4x4 on Craigslist last week that had a 300/6 and 4 spd manuel trans. He was asking $5000 for it, I wanted that truck so bad!!! Sold the same day. Some day I will get a crew cab, there getting harder to find and alot of money for one in descent shape.

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
Dang, that sucks about the deer ed. That was 80% of my motivation for a nice front bumper, i'm scared to death of hitting an animal at 80mph.
Hope you figure out the cold-start issues. seems like the electronics on the 22re are a little finicky. My DD starts up great even in below zero, but it idle's rough once warmed up. i've been trying to figure out that gremlin for a year now
I'm definitely going to get a beefy bumper on there before I fix the front end, I've hit 2 deer and a cow in the last 3 yrs, lol. Did you build your front bumper? I really like the design! Every time I see a pic of your 4runner it makes me miss my old one!

Last edited by rustED; 12-02-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
I'm definitely going to get a beefy bumper on there before I fix the front end, I've hit 2 deer and a cow in the last 3 yrs, lol. Did you build your front bumper? I really like the design! Every time I see a pic of your 4runner it makes me miss my old one!
My bumper was made by FROR (front range offroad) but they are discontinued. I've heard from a few people that they like it, i'm not sure why they discontinued it.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Anybody else getting any snow? We had over a foot of snow accumulated so far this year then got another 10 to 12" in the last 24hrs...looks like it supposed to snow more through out the week. Side note, I'm loving the BFG KO2's, this is my 2nd winter with them and they do awesome in the snow, if I had selectable lockers and some more ground clearance this thing would probably go anywhere.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
We were predicated to have 8-16", you guys stole all our thunder!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
We were predicated to have 8-16", you guys stole all our thunder!
Sorry Robb, didn't me to steal all your snow, lol. I figured you would have gotten your share of it by now! We get alot more of it living here in Colville than when we lived in Yakima.

Couple pics of the kids playing today, pulled them in the sled behind the runner, then my wife pulled me and the kids...she's a little rusty driving a stick, had me a little scared a couple times, lol.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey ED!! Looks Like a ton of Fun. I wish we had that kind of snow. We have barely had any winter at all here in Iowa .

Hope all is well.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great time. The kids will remember being pulled behind the runner years down the road and will be some great memories for them. Looks like you got all the snow in your area. We only got one light snow this year.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Hey ED!! Looks Like a ton of Fun. I wish we had that kind of snow. We have barely had any winter at all here in Iowa .

Hope all is well.
Thanks Mark. The snow has finally melted, we've had some warmer spring-like days in the 60's and are getting g alot of flooding in our area. There is a section of hyw 395 that's underwater and we have to take a detour to go I to town, lol. Other than that things are good, hope you and your faimly are doing well!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Looks like you guys had a great time. The kids will remember being pulled behind the runner years down the road and will be some great memories for them. Looks like you got all the snow in your area. We only got one light snow this year.
I agree Terry, I remember doing similar things when we were kids. We used to use an old 50 chevy pickup hood for a sled, it worked great, but was kinda heavy to pull back up the hills! My kids like being pulled behind my 87' 4runner better than when I used to pull them behind my old 86' I had. I used to throw too much snow on them with the wider 35's and the extra power of the V8, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 04-10-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:25 PM

So we got our tax refund awhile back. I was ready to pull the trigger on a used hood, fender and miscellaneous front end parts to repair my 4runner from when I hit the deer last year, but the guy never got back to me. It gave me some time to think, and I decided to use that money and invest in some tools instead. I've done some projects in the past that included the use of alot of sheetmetal, so I bought some tools that should make some future projects easier, as well as more fun and hopefully with more professional looking results. To make cutting large sheets easier I bought some electric cutting shears from Harbor Freight. They had good reviews, were rated for up to 14 gauge thickness and only cost $50 so I gave them a shot. So far I'm very impressed, they cut and leave a smooth edge, and don't distort the metal at all, Alot easier, cleaner and faster than my old method of using a grinder and skinny wheel! I've tried them on 16 gauge and they cut through it like butter!
I also got a 20 ton hydraulic shop press. I'm in the process of making a couple different press brakes for it. I also want to eventually get some dimple dies to use with it. The last tool I got was a Woodward Fab beadroller. It came with 6 sets of dies. I need to build a stand for it and want to make a few modifications to it, including adding a reversable motor and foot pedal to it eventually.

^^^Here's the shears I bought

^^^Here's the press I picked up off CL. I added new guides made out of uhmw to take the back and forth play out of it. Pic also shows my 90° press brake I'm building.

^^^another shot of the brake

^^^Here's a couple test bends with the 90° brake

I made this nice curved radius bend just using a peice of pipe and some C channel...those will be the components I use for the next bending brake I build.

Here's one of the beadroller, can't wait to start using it!

^^^I just bought two 4'×5' sheets of 18 gauge sheetmetal, I think my first project is going to be making some new cargo panels and doors for the the interior.

Last edited by rustED; 04-10-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let the fun begin. Fab and bodywork is my favorite!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought those same shears. They work pretty well. I was able to cut rough patches and shape them with a grinder and flap disc. Here is an example of one of the tougher ones i made.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Let the fun begin. Fab and bodywork is my favorite!
Hey Tony, I'm looking forward to playing with the new tools. Hopefully the weather will warm up so I can get some good practice in here pretty quick, it's been really cold again the last couple days, was snowing again yesterday...makes me want to move down to your neck of the woods, or uh..beach, lol.

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
I bought those same shears. They work pretty well. I was able to cut rough patches and shape them with a grinder and flap disc. Here is an example of one of the tougher ones i made.

I'm glad you have had good results with those shears, I'm always a little skeptical when reading reviews on a tools, but thought I'd give them a shot.

Last edited by rustED; 04-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
wow your shop is coming along nicely, can i come stay for a weekend? haha.
Looking forward to your new rear cargo panels, i need some ideas! i want to build a sub into 1 side and then make both rear panels out of aluminum
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
wow your shop is coming along nicely, can i come stay for a weekend? haha.
Looking forward to your new rear cargo panels, i need some ideas! i want to build a sub into 1 side and then make both rear panels out of aluminum
Hey buddy you're welcome to stay anytime, ha,ha. The built in sub enclosure would be cool! I wanted to use aluminum for the panels too, but thought it would be a good idea to get some practice in using the beadroller on some less expensive materials first. The 4x5' sheet of 18 gauge was around $43, I haven't priced aluminum yet, but have a feeling it's going to expensive.

Here's a couple pics of where I'm at with my driverside cargo panel, I still have work to do on it, and need to cut out for the door. I'm thinking of doing the tailgate cover to match, and will also be building a new locking center console/armrest/cupholder too.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Looking good. And armored to boot. Are you going to use the factory latches for the cargo doors or something aftermarket?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks aewsome man, I need to do the same, but I'll be rubbing the rear of mine soon for long travel and bypass shocks to fit through. So that project will have to wait.

Originally Posted by rustED
Hey buddy you're welcome to stay anytime, ha,ha. The built in sub enclosure would be cool! I wanted to use aluminum for the panels too, but thought it would be a good idea to get some practice in using the beadroller on some less expensive materials first. The 4x5' sheet of 18 gauge was around $43, I haven't priced aluminum yet, but have a feeling it's going to expensive.

Here's a couple pics of where I'm at with my driverside cargo panel, I still have work to do on it, and need to cut out for the door. I'm thinking of doing the tailgate cover to match, and will also be building a new locking center console/armrest/cupholder too.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Ed! The shears will really come in handy. And I love the Brake setup you have there with the press.

Great work so far on the replacement panels. If you need anything plasma cut, do not hesitate to ask.... I can cut and ship whatever parts you want.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Looking good. And armored to boot. Are you going to use the factory latches for the cargo doors or something aftermarket?
Thanks Tony. I'm not going to reuse the factory latches for the cargo doors, I only have one factory door, so instead I found these on amazon:

Originally Posted by nvwiggins
Looks aewsome man, I need to do the same, but I'll be rubbing the rear of mine soon for long travel and bypass shocks to fit through. So that project will have to wait.
Thanks! Sounds like you got some big plans for your 4runner, look forward to seeing an update on your thread!

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Hey Ed! The shears will really come in handy. And I love the Brake setup you have there with the press.
Great work so far on the replacement panels. If you need anything plasma cut, do not hesitate to ask.... I can cut and ship whatever parts you want.
Thanks Mark, Its nice having some new tools, makes life alot easier! I don't think I need anything plasma cut on this project, but I might have to take you up on that offer on a future project, thanks man!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 PM

I only had a couple of hours today, so I worked on my beadroller a little bit. From what I've come across in my research when I was looking to buy an affordable beadroller is that the lesser expensive ones tend to flex when rolling a bead. This is because they started making the frame from 3/8" thick steel plate, some of the older harbor freight and Woodward Fab units used to be made of 1/2" thick plate. This causes some distortion in the bead on the panel and less than desirable results, because the male and female dies aren't staying in consistent alignment. An easy fix is welding some additional plate or in my case square tubing to stiffen up the beadroller frame. I had some 2"x2" x 1/4" wall square tubing laying around, so that's what I used, kind of overkill, this sucker is real heavy, but should work alot better.

^^^These pics show it upside down, that 4" stub I left sticking out will be where I mount it to a stand.

^^^Right side up and re-assembled. I have a couple more mods to do before I break it back down to paint...if the weather ever warms up enough for me to paint :/

Last edited by rustED; 04-18-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Heavy is right. That little Woodward Fab shear I have is heavy. Your gonna need to fabricate a forklift to move your tools around. Great modification by the way. Have you thought anymore about doing the floorpans?

Search this Thread