86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

New to forum, a few pics and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to forum, a few pics and a few questions

I've had this 87 for about a year now. Things I have done so far, replaced radiator, thermostat, clutch fan, exhaust manifold gasket and broken stud, vacuum hoses, plug wires, o2 sensor, replaced and relocated fuel filter, front main seal. Added soft topper, stripped and repainted badges and pillars that were painted over. 4x4 innovations rear bumper ordered and on its way in 4 to 6 weeks. My questions are does the temp in the picture look correct, when I first got the truck it was always closer to half, not sure if it was wrong then or now. Also most 4Runners I see on here have split folding rear seats, mine has a one piece rear bench, is this normal? Any obvious items I should maintenance or replace? Timing chaing and injectors are on the list for sometime in the next year. Truck has about 160k on it and I am the 3rd owner. Thanks for your input and for the knowledge and ideas I have already gotten from this forum.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
best if you could add model-year-engine-transmission-trim to your signature. It would help make people WANT TO help you when they already know what you're working on. When I do not see that info on a post, I assume it's about an Escalade (LOL!) and I move on to posts where member took the time to describe the problem more clearly.

Originally Posted by KarlosKarlisimo
...most 4Runners I see on here have split folding rear seats, mine has a one piece rear bench, is this normal?
Many first-gen seats were Frankenstein jobs. From absence of Japanese attention to detail (plastic latches and english unit screws!), I could tell they were made and installed after shipment to the U.S.

Any obvious items I should maintenance or replace
Yes, replace the ricer rims. LOL But everything else looks good

The following users liked this post:
KarlosKarlisimo (08-31-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great looking truck, cool soft top... Wish I had one.

Rad4runner is correct on that rear seat, When I bought my first 4runner back in 1986 I got it from a friend of a friend who own the first Toyota dealership here. They had to trade up for the truck i wanted which was in Jacksonville, Fl for a Celica and they even showed me the paper works to make the trade. When the truck arrived with only 20miles on it they called me to come over and take a look at it while it was being off loaded. I did and it didn't have the rear seats or rear carpet, they had to add it on. The story he gave me was that in order to get the product into the country because of all the stuff going on back then was they had to come in as a Pickup Truck because a 2 door vehicle with rear seats was considered a sport type vehicle (could be why we have SUV labels today) and import taxes duty etc.. were extremely high. When I got the truck it had the bench seat and not the split seat that was also offered and vinyl covering. My buddy's 85 4runner he got the split seat clothed.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by junk4u
Great looking truck, cool soft top... Wish I had one.

Rad4runner is correct on that rear seat, When I bought my first 4runner back in 1986 I got it from a friend of a friend who own the first Toyota dealership here. They had to trade up for the truck i wanted which was in Jacksonville, Fl for a Celica and they even showed me the paper works to make the trade. When the truck arrived with only 20miles on it they called me to come over and take a look at it while it was being off loaded. I did and it didn't have the rear seats or rear carpet, they had to add it on. The story he gave me was that in order to get the product into the country because of all the stuff going on back then was they had to come in as a Pickup Truck because a 2 door vehicle with rear seats was considered a sport type vehicle (could be why we have SUV labels today) and import taxes duty etc.. were extremely high. When I got the truck it had the bench seat and not the split seat that was also offered and vinyl covering. My buddy's 85 4runner he got the split seat clothed.
Thanks for the additional info. I had read one time about coming over as 2 door trucks then being fitted to be the SUV seating. Makes alot of sense, there is a metal badge stamped in my door frame that is from a shop in MD and im guessing that is what they did was add the seats.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Welcome to the forum!
best if you could add model-year-engine-transmission-trim to your signature. It would help make people WANT TO help you when they already know what you're working on. When I do not see that info on a post, I assume it's about an Escalade (LOL!) and I move on to posts where member took the time to describe the problem more clearly.

Many first-gen seats were Frankenstein jobs. From absence of Japanese attention to detail (plastic latches and english unit screws!), I could tell they were made and installed after shipment to the U.S.

Yes, replace the ricer rims. LOL But everything else looks good
Thanks for the info and tips. Still trying to learn the whole forum thing. As for the rims I agree, I hate them. Any suggestions on decent priced options?