Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new to the forum and have a few questions

Old 02-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the forum and have a few questions on 86 pick up

whats up people?

found this forum and figured this would be the place to get some answers. I have an 86 toyota truck with 226,000 miles and yes it still runs strong...best darn truck ive ever had or driven! yes the truck is getting some age on it but i dont want to let it go and im wanting to make it run better!

my problem is: sometimes the truck idles extreamly ruff like its got a extream cam in it or something...the truck rocks side to side when it idles and black smoke comes out the tail pipe and really comes out when i ram the gas...almost looks like a diesel! is there an adjustment on the stock carb for idle and fuel mixture? i know my timeing is all out of wack but no matter which direction i turn the distrubutor cap the engine still runs the same...yes i need to get it timed and im doing that very soon! im trying to get my truck to pass pensylvania safty inspection and im scared it wont pass emissions with the black smoke commin out! Truck runs fine once you get the rpms up but it never stalls but at idle it stinks of raw fuel and black smoke?? do i need a new carb, or can it be adjusted??

im also wondering if there are any aftermarket body parts for this truck??? Im really wanting this truck to be a project truck cause i dont see many modified trucks like mine, only the 4x4 ive seen moded. i think the front suspension is a torsen bar if im not mistaken and im wonder if its possible to lower the suspension or an i stuck with what i got?

Last edited by gaboonviper85; 02-09-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: didnt fallow the rules on thread titles
Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Not to be rude at all, and by all means welcome to YT, but as per your last questions, you might have a lot better luck finding what your looking for over on customtacos.com Good luck.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM

Yeah we're mostly redneck wheelers here

What a clash though a gun weilding redneck lowrider...
Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to yotatech as for lowering it where not that kind of forum
Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 PM

There are tons of parts available for the 2wds but most are available thru the mini-lowrider guys/forums. It sounds like your truck is running rich for some reason. I am pretty dumb with carbs, hopefully someone will chime to help you out. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM

thanks! Yeah from what ive heard from mechanics is that the stock carb is like basicly disposible...cant adjust it but for some reason i dont want to believe that and a new carb is so friggin expensive and i have no clue how to even rebuild one! when it comes to engines im half retarded unless its small two stroke engines.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:37 PM

well i think it would be neat to actually lift it....but i thought that would be a no no in a 2wd? i dont like to talk the talk but cant walk the walk if you know what i mean...lifted truck with big tires but cant go off road for the simple fact its not 4wd.. but if its acceptable to lift 2wd trucks then hell yeah im all for it!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 PM

doesnt matter what other people think, eventualy though, you will want to bomb it thru some ponds or up some crazy shale ledges and you will basically
"sit and spin" either way youll want 4wd if you continue on this path!!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do whatever the hell you want to do with your truck. We tend to modify our 4x4's here to go places people can't normally get a vehicle. Doesn't mean we dont have fast cars or 2wd trucks. I for one have the same truck as you do, 2wd 22r carb.

Almost as many miles. Same symptons, rich fuel mixture, burning up black smoke, fouling plugs.

Rebuilt the carb, works fine now. And new plugs (of course). The Power Valve or the Power Piston was sticking... not to mention there was 220k miles worth of different fuels (thousands and thousands of gallons of gas) from all over the country!!!

So after thoroughly cleaning the carb out and rebuilding it with a kit from Parts Plus (Napa sells the kit to) .. they're like $50.. truck runs great again!

It's a tedious process if you've never worked on a carb before! Lots and lots of small parts, springs and what not. But if you setup a good table, nice lighting and have an egg carton handy its not to bad. Took me like 4-5 hrs or something.

I took lots of digi pics to look back on to see where crap went. =)
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

ya welcome. Ive never had the smoking prob and I dont know if this will fix it but you might want to try some seafoam.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 PM

okay thanks for the info...i dont mind paying $150 to have a dude rebuild it if thats what will fix it....ill buy the rebuild kit and get my mechanic to build the carb.....for new carbs seems prices run around $300 and thats just a little steep for me especialy for a carb that looks like it came off an old motorcycle.

i also have an issue that i dont know how to solve....when i put truck in gear the gear shift wobbles around as if its in neutral...is that just the bushing warn where the ball fits into the tranny?

and one more issue hopefully you can help me with...when i hit the brakes in the truck the pedal goes almost right to the floor before you actually feel the truck slowing down...im wondering if this is the brake booster gone bad or if one of the pistons is blown in the master and im only getting use of my front or rear brakes....i mean there is alot of travel in the pedal before the brakes actually engage.

i know im asking alot of questions but where i live these trucks are RARE and nobody knows anything about them so i cant get any help.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 PM

yeah i started another thread about sea foam.... look back in the main page and youll see it... everybody keeps talking about useing it in fuel injected but my truck is carbed so im hopeing someone here can guide me threw it with my truck.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Well I know that you can use it on a carbed vehicle too
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Heck yeah, lift it, lock and gear the rear end, and start bombing some trails. Welcome to YT !
Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 PM

okay say i lift it....how the heck do i lift the front end???? from what i think i understand the front is a torsen bar suspension so i have no clue how that will work? it would be different if it was coil over or springs but its not. the rear is kinda easy to lift considering im a machinist and nothing two blocks of machined aluminum cant fix.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Master Cylinder probably worn out. Our 2wd has a new one and its a lot different performance wise than the brakes on my 4wd (same year).. which i know my master is worn. I'll replace it this summer, or sooner if it goes full tits up

bleeding the brakes should be done before totally assuming the master is bad. =) Air and or water in the lines, or even worn brake lines can cause that sensation in the pedal as well. fyi
Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM

i replaced all 3 lines two years ago so i doubt that they are bad....the truck did sit for a couple months with periodic starting and idleing just to keep it lubed....and then one day i got in it and decided to do some doughnuts in the parking lot on a rainy day and boy the brakes felt funny!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM

and i have been driveing the truck again sense i totaled my car a couple weeks ago and i figured that it was air in the lines possibly but sure it would have pushed that air out by now wouldnt it?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 PM

86 toy 2x

Hello. I have my thinking hat on tonight. "so i think" Anyway it sounds like whats going on is too much air is mixing with your fuel. (severe vacume leak)so you either have a few vacume lines cracked or slipped off or could be the gasket under the carb is bad or carb bolts worked there way lose. the black smoke is carbon build up in the valves.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 AM

well i did take a couple cans of carb cleaner and i hosed every thing around the carb hopeing that id hear the idle change while everything was wet...a mechanic told me to do that and he said that if theres a hole in a line then when you get carb cleaner on it it will change in idle but nothing happened. but maybe its somewhere deeper....when i get my income tax return its probably all going into the truck so ill get new vac lines and a rebuild kit for the carb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to the forum and have a few questions