86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My 1986 T4R build

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1986 T4R build

So I figured this would be a decent place to start of, I live currently in Colorado Springs so if any of you are local I’d love to meet up. I got my 86 runner in a trade and I am the third owner now (and probably the last). When I got it it was leaking oil pretty bad and there is a awful exhaust leak. 30 Inch tires stock bumpers stock everything, since then I have sourced and done a lot of work to it since I got in in trade in FEB2018.

Some info on it is it’s a 86 DLX IFS 22re. 295k running well
Some o me of my goals are a motor swap/ rebuild it is pretty gutless and it is leaking a good amount of oil.
3-4 inch lift, repaint, stinger type bumper, regear to 5:13s or 5:29s, do a complete rust elimination, rock sliders, some type of roof rack, and a visor are some of my biggest. Wants.

id like to go through and rebuild everything on it and I figured I’d take pics and videos of everything to show you guys and also ask for advice.

So some some of my first things I’m wanting to do mod wise is wire in my rear window ( i got a top off a sr5 and it has the wiper but my runner is a dlx and doesn’t have a plug for it.) along with how a fluid resovior works for the rear.
i also would like to have a tach but without swapping In an sr5 cluster.

I dont know much abiut the truck it has a lot of little things like a sunroof. Most runners I know don’t have a sunroof unless they are a SR5. I was told it’s a Montgomery edition potentially? I’ll post pics of the interier shortly, but it’s all leather and has a bench seat in the back.
Thanks for your time! I have a lot ahead of me! Lots of little things to do and a few bigger things!
If you can tell me some advice on what to check \ what to start on please do. For now that’s all I got!
The runner the day I got it next to my old 81 truck
Note how bunked up the motor is

Pics that were in the add, truly shows the paint that’s messed up. Really foggy but If I wax and polish it it is amazing looking.

Rear tube bumper project I had done
Tach!
Got a smitty built bumper for free so I decided to throw it on there
What the front end looks like as of today
Got a white sr5 top with a windshield wiper, also note my restore of the emblem on the side

Some of the rust I’m dealing with

This is the worst of the rust on the passenger quarter panel

I’d really like to find a drivers side version of the rain guard I have
The dash setup I have, I’d like to get a new dash pad but idk what to do about that
My hvac, good condition but the light behind it is out and idk how to change it
Rear leather bench seat
What the front seats look like under the covers
I’d love to have a new shift boot. eBay the best place to find one?
Idea I have that I might follow up on kinda experimenting with the cargo area. It’s just a small light mounted by one of the bolts for the window.
My subs, and another idea for a bit of storage on that rear window.
Leather or vinyl cargo mat.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by 86T4Ruby
...wire in my rear window ( i got a top off a sr5 and it has the wiper but my runner is a dlx and doesn’t have a plug for it.) along with how a fluid reservior works for the rear.
Pics that were in the add, truly shows the paint that’s messed up. Really foggy but If I wax and polish it it is amazing looking
The dash setup I have, I’d like to get a new dash pad but idk what to do about that
I’d love to have a new shift boot. eBay the best place to find one?
Idea I have that I might follow up on kinda experimenting with the cargo area. It’s just a small light mounted by one of the bolts for the window.
Have fun with the build!
REAR WINDOW & WIPER:
Look behind body panel near the driver's seatbelt retract mechanism The rear window and wiper relay module is there. Wiper also takes power from it.
Here's how the rear window works.

PAINT:
I used TR3 cleaner/glaze to revitalize my paint. Worked really well.

DASH:
I plan to fill the crack and clean up the shape of my current dash and wrap it with vinyl like another member here did.

SHIFTER BOOTS:
Yes, there is a couple of Ebay sellers with boots for our generation.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 PM

Hey my bad my typing messed up, but I meant my rear window wiper doesn’t have the connector and I’m trying to figure out where to do that, behind the panel still? Thanks for the advice I’ll look into all those options. I never thought about a vinyl wrap on the dash. Also how long did the TR3 last?

Last edited by 86T4Ruby; 05-24-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Forgot wording
Old 05-25-2018, 04:31 PM

...my rear window wiper doesn’t have the connector ...
Missing this connector? Pls see signature.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:59 PM

No this connected doesn’t have a male end on the truck.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 PM

No this connected doesn’t have a male end on the truck.
Look in the corner behind that body panel where jack is stored. There should be the mating connector. The wiring for that runs to the rear window / wiper control module that's mentioned in post I linked above.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Look in the corner behind that body panel where jack is stored. There should be the mating connector. The wiring for that runs to the rear window / wiper control module that's mentioned in post I linked above.
I have looked there before an I couldn’t find anything but I’ll heck again. My runner didn’t come with a rear wiper stock. So that might be why I can’t find it. If it doesn’t have the connector then is there a way I can wire in the wiper to my front wipers and make them both move I I activate one o them?
Old 05-27-2018, 12:05 PM

Duplicate

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-27-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:08 PM

...My runner didn’t come with a rear wiper stock.
Do you even have the wiper switch? If not, then maybe the control module is not made for it.
I actually got rid of my wiper; more trouble than it's worth. Putting a third-brake light in its place.
I also want to convert the stupid roll-up window with simple, flip-up type that belongs more on a utilitarian truck than an Escalade.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Do you even have the wiper switch? If not, then maybe the control module is not made for it.
I actually got rid of my wiper; more trouble than it's worth. Putting a third-brake light in its place.
I also want to convert the stupid roll-up window with simple, flip-up type that belongs more on a utilitarian truck than an Escalade.
I’m curious how you would do that with the windo